Keeping The Costs Of Caravaning Down

northernblue

How about a thread that brings everyone`s tips about keeping the costs of caravaning down (practical) all to the same place.

for instance. ..............

how much stuff do you take with you that you never use ? non essential.

my wife once took seven pairs of boots for a seven night stay and only used 2 pairs.

now we`re on gas i still take the toaster because we`re on ehu.

always check tyre pressures the night before.(van and car)

on a short trip (weekend) if it looks windy i don`t take the awning.

just a few to start off.

VOLVO s60 se towing a Swift Azzura

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how much weight we could leave behind and whether it would make a significant impact on fuel saving?

I suppose leaving the wife and kids at home would help.

Travelling at 55mph rather than 60mph makes a measurable difference in mpg. As does travelling a constant speed on motorways.

Having the right tyre pressures as you mention is worth doing for economy and safety.

Going to CLs rather than club sites is another obvious saving.

Using a mobile engineer to service the caravan . ...or DIY!

Beyond that, you have to ask yourself, if it needs more economising it's probably going to suck the joy out of doing it anyway. ..so why bother.

Use the van as much as possible, if you can only manage 2 weeks a year don't buy one.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Make sure the caravan "MOT" nonsense does not go through :lol:

Instead of going through the hassle of trading in your van for a better model, make friends with the people on a site who's van you like. When they invite you in for a coffee and look around - claim squatters rights ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Make sure the caravan "MOT" nonsense does not go through :lol:

I'm all for the caravan MOT test. There's a lot of vans out there that ain't looked after and could be a danger to other road users and site neighbours.

Buy with cash and realise you can have as good a time in a £2,000 van as you can in a £10,000 one. Most people use a two wheel drive car, 4 wheel drive is a luxury maybe, but an expensive one.

The downside is that if there is an issue with the caravan, you have no one in your corner to fight for you. Recently we had an issue with damp and the finance company put pressure on the dealer to get it sorted ASAP.

Spend to save. For example, we spent out on a solar panel and have saved the cost in declining EHU as we get enough power for the majority of stuff from the panel.

Holiday out of season if you can get the school to play ball. If you go abroad use the ACSI system to shave shedloads of money.

Plan ahead. When booking ferries or tunnel book early to get the best price. Try to get shopping done every few days rather than every day as lots of short journeys are fuel inefficient.

Use cruise control as much as possible to maintain speed as the fuel is used in accelerating much more than maintaining speed. Keep car and van clean as clean panels slip through the air better. Don't do as we do with bikes on the top as they increase drag a lot.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Instead of going through the hassle of trading in your van for a better model, make friends with the people on a site who's van you like. When they invite you in for a coffee and look around - claim squatters rights ;)

H.

Memo to self:

Beware of inviting folk from that side of the Penines into the van!

:P

Edited by reluctant

Trevor.

Use cruise control as much as possible to maintain speed as the fuel is used in accelerating much more than maintaining speed. .

I was under the impression that cruise control uses more fuel, it certainly has on the last 3 cars we've had.

I was under the impression that cruise control uses more fuel, it certainly has on the last 3 cars we've had.

I have found that my cruise control is by far more lighter on the accelerator to keep trucking than my right foot.

There is no way in the world a humans brain that feels through a foot that is encased in a shoe that presses on a mechanical pedal can be more accurate than an ECU working in binary with a digital speedometer.

I definitely think cruise control is more efficient.

But back on topic; another money saver is to actually look at how often you use EHU.

If you always do without fail then you could save a lot of weight by fitting an extremely small 12v battery (house alarm style) to regulate the charger.

If you would like to use EHU less, then the cost of buying an extra leisure battery and a 240v charger are far less than buying a solar panel setup.

I have found that my cruise control is by far more lighter on the accelerator to keep trucking than my right foot.

There is no way in the world a humans brain that feels through a foot that is encased in a shoe that presses on a mechanical pedal can be more accurate than an ECU working in binary with a digital speedometer.

I definitely think cruise control is more efficient.

Perhaps my brain does control the pressure exerted from my foot, through my shoes to press the mechanical pedal much better than the ECU working in whatever way it wants to, I wasn't telling porkies when I said that the last 3 cars I've had we're more fuel efficient when not using cruise control. That is a fact. Now perhaps I've been very unlucky and had 3 faulty ECU's !!! Edited by Phil O

I work on the principle of if its left out it goes in, if not it doesnt go with us. This year we are off to France, so SWMBO has a vested interest in going light this summer, she can have more wine brought back!

Seriously though, when we first started off vanning, we bought full size awning, then porch awning. Nowadays we use a large porch awning, and end of last season picked up a stocking deal on an outdoor revolution porch awning for £150. Also, its the little bits here like washing lines, DVD player, awning mats etc that just add weight.

After 4yrs we are starting to get to a level of saying, do we really need that. ..it's starting to work, but its a long journey with SWMBO to get there!!!!

Oh, and yes it's a massive difference driving at 55mph than 60. Also, if bailey could smooth off the bluff front of the van that would help significantly!

Other way costs could be cut down, are to store van on drive. Unfortunately, we can't do that, but its an option for some I'm sure

Edited by milkymarsh

Cruise control is good on the flat and down hill - it's the uphill stretches it falls down on. When the driver is in control he will allow the car to slow a little to put less strain on the engine. Cruise control has no sense of terrain and so uses extra power and therefore more fuel to keep a constant speed while going uphill. I'm not knocking cruise I fitted it to my car and use it all the time.

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

I was reading a thread on another forum about what food stocks people keep in the caravan. I couldn't believe the amount of stuff people cart around in their cupboards -'just incase' !

The only foodstuffs we keep permanently in the caravan are tea, coffee, marmite, picalillee, vinegar, a jar of pesto, a pack of spaghetti, some porridge and some cheese biscuits.

When we go away for a weekend we plan all our meals and take it with us. For more than a weekend we take a meal or two to keep us going until we can get to the supermarket.

When we get home all food stuffs are taken out except the above.

I dread to think of the amount of cans, jars and packets etc being carted around and not used from one season to the next.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I was reading a thread on another forum about what food stocks people keep in the caravan. I couldn't believe the amount of stuff people cart around in their cupboards -'just incase' !

The only foodstuffs we keep permanently in the caravan are tea, coffee, marmite, picalillee, vinegar, a jar of pesto, a pack of spaghetti, some porridge and some cheese biscuits.

When we go away for a weekend we plan all our meals and take it with us. For more than a weekend we take a meal or two to keep us going until we can get to the supermarket.

When we get home all food stuffs are taken out except the above.

I dread to think of the amount of cans, jars and packets etc being carted around and not used from one season to the next.

Guilty M'Lud. At the end of the season I am shocked at how old some of the tins I have in stock in the van 'just in case' are. This winter I have been using three tins of Marks mince bought three years ago and carted all round France the year before last and Austria this year 'just in case'. We have been caravanning for thirty odd years so I know I don't need them but its almost a compulsion 'just in case'.

However our biggest saving the last couple of years is using ACSI sites abroad and CLs in this country. Now that people can review CLs on the CC website you can see exactly what you are getting and can save so much money on site fees.

The other big saving is on gas as I don't use my caravan oven hardly at all prefering to use an electric Remoska. There is the initial big outlay but I use it at home too having seen just how much electricity it saves.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Guilty M'Lud. At the end of the season I am shocked at how old some of the tins I have in stock in the van 'just in case' are. This winter I have been using three tins of Marks mince bought three years ago and carted all round France the year before last and Austria this year 'just in case'. We have been caravanning for thirty odd years so I know I don't need them but its almost a compulsion 'just in case'.

We used to do the same. We had a tin of french cassoulet in our van for years - left over from camping. ...... :rolleyes: !

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Perhaps my brain does control the pressure exerted from my foot, through my shoes to press the mechanical pedal much better than the ECU working in whatever way it wants to, I wasn't telling porkies when I said that the last 3 cars I've had we're more fuel efficient when not using cruise control. That is a fact. Now perhaps I've been very unlucky and had 3 faulty ECU's !!!

Or im just a size 13 oaf lol.

I'm all for the caravan MOT test. There's a lot of vans out there that ain't looked after and could be a danger to other road users and site neighbours.

:rolleyes: Thats all in another thread. This one is all about keeping costs down? :lol:

Last year we found you can find privately owned sites. £12 per night for 2 people inc elec, dog, awning. The trouble is they do not have a web sites so its a bit of a gamble. You can get a good idea though with google earth and by reading reviews. Add this cost up over a few weeks compared with say £20 and you have a big saving.

We saved so much in fuel, by not carting excess food with us and by not cooking overly much, which also saved gas, that we were able to dine out every night we were away over last summer.

The local pub also helped making my wallet lighter by £1500!! (6 x 5 nights @ an average of £50 a night!) and the stone we put on between us each time we were away, doesn't really count in the train weight, does it? :P

Perhaps it would be better & cheaper to cart the food with us! :unsure:

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

How about a thread that brings everyone`s tips about keeping the costs of caravaning down (practical) all to the same place.

for instance. ..............

how much stuff do you take with you that you never use ? non essential.

my wife once took seven pairs of boots for a seven night stay and only used 2 pairs.

If you stopped your wife buying boots you would have more money for caravanning :rolleyes:

I will deny having said that of course. ...

Freelander 2 and Bailey Unicorn Valencia (Classic Edition. ..)

Perhaps my brain does control the pressure exerted from my foot, through my shoes to press the mechanical pedal much better than the ECU working in whatever way it wants to, I wasn't telling porkies when I said that the last 3 cars I've had we're more fuel efficient when not using cruise control. That is a fact. Now perhaps I've been very unlucky and had 3 faulty ECU's !!!

Every single car I drive daily in connection with the motor trade is more economical not using cruise control. You should be at the very least 10% or more economical not using cruise.

Maybe the person who said otherwise is maybe just a little heavy footed, some people are on off drivers and cannot adapt to the light touch required for economy.