Gas Bbq Hose Length, External Bbq Point

Hayden

I'm thinking of having a external gas BBQ point fitted on our van, I have a couple of questions, how long can the hose be on my BBQ? Can I have it long enough so I can have the BBQ the other side of the awning? We all sit at the side/front (long side of the awning) I don't really want to be sitting at the front of the van on my own cooking!! Hope that makes sense!! It did in my head!!

08 Vectra Sri 1. 9 Cdti (150bhp) + '06 Bailey Pageant Bretagne

I'm thinking of having a external gas BBQ point fitted on our van, I have a couple of questions, how long can the hose be on my BBQ? Can I have it long enough so I can have the BBQ the other side of the awning? We all sit at the side/front (long side of the awning) I don't really want to be sitting at the front of the van on my own cooking!! Hope that makes sense!! It did in my head!!

I think officially it's around 2m max. I use 5m though without issue. If you want to cook at the other side of the van though it would be a lot easier and significantly safer to use an additional bottle.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I've used 3m with no issue.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

We use the spare gas bottle which means we can put the Cadac anywhere :)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I don't get the point of the external point then? Our awning is just over 2m wide I think, so can only use a external BBQ point if no awning is fitted?

I think I may sell our Cadac and go back to a charcoal BBQ! We've only used the Cadac twice!!

Indeed, I have since switched to using a smaller 6kg GasLight bottle than I can carry to wherever I need to use the BBQ, or I purchase a £15 cheapo charcoal BBQ for the duration of the holiday and leave it behind.

For myself the hookup point is of limited use but it is fantastic for running my LPG powered 3 way fridge when off mains hookup. :)

Mahatma Gandhi

The hose I use is 7m long, I can site the cadac anywhere I like around the van, works perfect, not heard of or seen regs stipulating how long a length of hose can be, but I think someone's going to show me tho!!

The hose I use is 7m long, I can site the cadac anywhere I like around the van, works perfect, not heard of or seen regs stipulating how long a length of hose can be, but I think someone's going to show me tho!!

Think you're right - it's an old husband's tail!

Sam :beardy:

I think I may sell our Cadac and go back to a charcoal BBQ! We've only used the Cadac twice!!

We use the Cadac - paella pan and lid for most of our cooking in summer ! But we have recently bought a small Weber portable charcoal bbq too. ..... still testing that !

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Think you're right - it's an old husband's tail!

I did read something about gas condensing in long pipe runs and then re-liquifying. Not sure of any specific rules though.

Mahatma Gandhi

I did read something about gas condensing in long pipe runs and then re-liquifying. Not sure of any specific rules though.

To say nothing of the trip hazard ! ;)

My barbecue point is on the non awning side and when I had a look on the net it seemed there were some recommendations that it shouldn't be longer than 3m but no reason stated as such.

Funnily enough I was looking into this subject just last week as I'd noticed it was time to change my hose. I discovered the following "facts" on the web, and it would be interesting to confirm or refute them . ..

1. Apparently some dealers will not sell more than 2m lengths of gas pipe.
  2. Cadac user-guides recommend that you do not use more than 2m of pipe.
  3. Calor say “Industry Codes of Practice do not recommended that we supply long lengths”.
  4. The ability to have any bbq kept well clear of caravan and awning is a distinct safety requirement.
  5. It’s the gas locker hoses (pigtails) that have a 1m limit.
  6. It seems that any ‘rules’ concern possible trip hazards only – so with long pipes use orange high pressure pipe which shows up on the grass better
  7. With a longer hose, you’re more likely to suffer gas pressure drop, when the bbq may not perform as intended .
  8. After bbq-ing, and before disconnecting, turn the gas off at the bbq point or bottle, and then run the bbq until the pressure has dropped. Otherwise, when you disconnect, the pressure may remain high in the pipe, and it may shoot off.
  9. Some retailers may have a policy of 2m max of high pressure hose, unless being used for low pressure systems - so use a high pressure orange hose to carry your low pressure gas.
  10. Many bbq-ers found it better to take a gas bottle out of the locker and use a regulator with shorter length of pipe to connect to the bbq – this gives you greater flexibility on where you use it.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

After bbq-ing, and before disconnecting, turn the gas off at the bbq point or bottle, and then run the bbq until the pressure has dropped. Otherwise, when you disconnect, the pressure may remain high in the pipe, and it may shoot off.

John

What at a half a pound per square inch pressure above atmospheric? Post regulator gas is low, low pressure, which is why you can't use a long hose as the pressure will be lost to the internal friction.

Edited by Trevor Marron

Has the revolution finally begun?

I use both options,I have a 7mtr long hose that fits the bar-b-q point on the van, and a 2mtr hose and reg that is fitted to our spare 6Kg lite, so I can use the bar-b-q any where. It came in handy last year in France when we had 2 cadacs on the go at our friends van while cooking Mulles and Frits.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

I have the best of both worlds, with a 3m extension which I use when needed, but otherwise leave in the bag.

Max hose lenght from point or reg is 2m. 7m will be render the appliance dangerous and very inefficient,try gently blowing through a 7m length and you will understand. I am sure its in BS,669;1997

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

try gently blowing through a 7m length and you will understand.

I'm not a liquid stored under pressure so will struggle with that, tell me how is it that builders/roofers using the same cylinder and regulator can use upwards of 10 meter length hose but a chap in a field cannot use more than 2.

In my last job we had air tools that worked perfectly on 20m lengths, exactly the same principal, pressure loss due to friction in a smooth bore hose is minimal.

I'm not doubting regulations, I just can't see what the problem is, it works fine for me.

Phil

Edited by Phil O

We use a 3m long length of hose which reaches from the gas point to the Cadac. It has quick release connectors (male one end and female the other) and can be added to with another identical 3m length. We've been doing this for over 20 years.

Ern

One dealer local will only sell 2m. The other doesnt. Ive been told you can buy what you want from ebay too!

We use seperate cylinder and put cadac where we want to.

I also use a 6m length and use the bottles in the front locker. Cadac can be used wherever I want it.

Never had an issue.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink: