Tug For 1800 Kg

I'm considering upgrading my tug, currently a 2004 Audi Allroad with 235,000 on the clock. I'm favouring a newer Allroad, probably a 3 litre v6. I am open to suggestions, others I may consider are:-

Xc90

BMW x5

Discovery 3 / 4

Range rover

It must be auto, must be diesel, not sure what road tax bracket newer Allroads drop into but will also take that into account, budget £6k or thereabouts.

Ap

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally (and lets face it, this is a personal choice) I think I would try and go for the Volvo or the BMW. Love the landy's and Rangy's but the maintenance costs that people have been putting about might be a worry to myself. I have had many lovely and well behaved Volvo cars though, so that would be my preference.

What about the XC70? - Not sure what the max towing weight is though.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

The Volvo V70 is rated to tow 1900Kg with 90Kg nose weight. There are lots of AWD versions about. The XC version is slightly higher. I have the V70 2WD and it tows really well. Solid as a rock on the road. 200 ish HP is enough isn't it?

Ern

Many of my customers have Range Rovers and X5/6 and they all complain about service charges etc .

Very rarely here anyone complain about a Volvo .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

I part exchanged my Freelander 2 Sport last October for a new Dicovery 4, we have only had one outing with the caravan and towed some 100 miles with the Discovery. What a difference between the two vehicles, I thought the Freelander was good, but the towing capabilities of the new car was superb, the eight speed gear box changes up and down so smoothly and the car felt very stable, therefor I would thoroughly recommend the Discovery for its towing capabilities.

I've had a couple of Volvos over the years and found them to be good towcars. The last one was a V70XC Cross Country but as it got older I found that the maintenance costs became prohibitively expensive. They were not very economical in fuel costs either.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

You ain't going to get a Discovery 4, or even a Discovery 3, for £6K, or indeed any of the other models you are considering.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Might be worth locating an early L322 TD6 Range Rover? - Then performing some of the known pre-ownership surgery to prevent major failure items from spoiling your holidays? Such as the Air-intake flaps. ..

Mahatma Gandhi

Might be worth locating an early L322 TD6 Range Rover? - Then performing some of the known pre-ownership surgery to prevent major failure items from spoiling your holidays? Such as the Air-intake flaps. ..

To mis-quote Jeremy Clarkson; Yes you can by an L322 for 6 grand, but please, for the love of god, don't! An L322 at that price will only make you skint & miserable.

I don't see much out their for 6k ! Unless you what another motor with moon mileage .

Edited by digger65

Shogun SWB, Adria Isonzo +Dwt Paradies 280 . ... 78% match. Pitchin next to you sometime. ..!!!!

To mis-quote Jeremy Clarkson; Yes you can by an L322 for 6 grand, but please, for the love of god, don't! An L322 at that price will only make you skint & miserable.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mahatma Gandhi

Think Volvo will prob be the best for you.]

A lot of car for the money

Edited by milkymarsh

Mitsubishi Shogun

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Isuzu Trooper

Toyota Landcruiser ( My personal favourite)

Jeeps in your price range appear to be plentiful enough. Shoguns as well. Youd probably have to regress a year or 2 for the LC to get in the price range without starship mileage, but if like me you dont give a hoot about such things, then you score for a more reasonable road rent too.

You ain't going to get a Discovery 4, or even a Discovery 3, for £6K, or indeed any of the other models you are considering.

Would you like to place a bet on that?

eBay has several of all of the models mentioned except disco 4, massive choice for sure and some very nice td6 range rovers to be had.

J

Think Volvo will prob be the best for you.]

A lot of car for the money

Yep that looks nice, hopefully a few more days offshore I could stretch my budget.

Ap

Would you like to place a bet on that?

eBay has several of all of the models mentioned except disco 4, massive choice for sure and some very nice td6 range rovers to be had.

J

Yep that looks nice, hopefully a few more days offshore I could stretch my budget.

Ap

I think the TD6 rangy is very much underrated. I think it would be a good car if you are willing to spend some time on it.

Mahatma Gandhi

Mitsubishi Shogun

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Isuzu Trooper

Toyota Landcruiser ( My personal favourite)

Jeeps in your price range appear to be plentiful enough. Shoguns as well. Youd probably have to regress a year or 2 for the LC to get in the price range without starship mileage, but if like me you dont give a hoot about such things, then you score for a more reasonable road rent too.

Had a shogun and it just didn't seem right, nothing I could put my finger on and never towed with it. Jeep, no thanks. Trooper too agricultural, land cruiser a possibility, mileage not a problem for me, I'd rather have 100,000 motorway miles than 20,000 town miles

I liked this one but I'm just going watch for a while and get a feel for what's available, then sell my Audi

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/251436682467?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984. m1423. l2649

Ap

You may have a problem getting the smell of Cannabis out of the leather :ph34r: but it does look pretty good for the money.

Mahatma Gandhi

Shogun for us, our van is 1800kg and you don't know you have the van on the back.

Well it's certainly a possibility, what are it's plus points over the others, in particular Allroad, xc90 and range rover?

Ap

There's only one choice - disco 4

Perfect for any occasion

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

There's only one choice - disco 4

Perfect for any occasion

Maybe not if the occasion is only having 6k. ..

Mahatma Gandhi