Just Towed There With A Single And Back With A Twin!

philavan

Hi all,just got my new van :D,

towed my old one in very strong wind (only 20 miles) on a single axle. brought new one back :D on a twin axle.

no pitching and very little sway,also has anyone else found how when a moden 55 on plate bmw goes buy the van just has a fit??? noticed on both vans and when a very large van went by there was nothing?

and yes its true,its harder to manuver the twin axle at tight slow speed (and pushing) :rolleyes: looks like sunday will be fun loading it all back up B)

staying the night in a caravan,what more do we want from life? :rolleyes: apart from 365 days a year off!!!!

Strange i did the complete opposite.

And i find the twin easier to move

And i find the twin easier to move

must go to the gym then :ph34r: but first get balls put back in were they came from ;) . :blush:

staying the night in a caravan,what more do we want from life? :rolleyes: apart from 365 days a year off!!!!

Whats the new van then ?

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

I found this tip for manoeuvring your twin by hand so I will pass it on. It works for me on a block paved drive. I guess it would work on grass or other solid surface but not so well on gravel.

It consists of 2 thick plastic sacks, the type you might get bark chippings in. First lift or lower your jockey wheel so that weight is transferred more to one axle than the other. Second roll your van onto the sacks. The 2 layers of plastic under the wheels help to cut the friction between the tyre and the ground and you will find that you can pull the nose of the van around more easily. You may still have to do some jiggling about but a lot easier than without the bags.

I reverse my van onto my drive and do a 90 degrees turn in reverse, I find that by reversing onto the bags whilst doing the turn, it's easier to unhook from the towball as the tyres are not trying to twist of the rims. .

Hope the tip helps.

I've not quite got the funds for a turn-table yet, but we can live in hope!

David

Edited by David Pearson

and yes its true,its harder to manuver the twin axle at tight slow speed (and pushing) :rolleyes: looks like sunday will be fun loading it all back up B)

Hi Phil, to make maneuvering your twin easier you should wind the jockey wheel down so as to lift as much weight off the front wheels as possible transferring it to the rear ones, it is then a similar experience to moving a single axle caravan with just a small amount of tyre scrub coming from the front wheels.

Hi all,just got my new van :D,

towed my old one in very strong wind (only 20 miles) on a single axle. brought new one back :D on a twin axle.

no pitching and very little sway,also has anyone else found how when a moden 55 on plate bmw goes buy the van just has a fit??? noticed on both vans and when a very large van went by there was nothing.

I react like like that when overtaken by BMWs as well. Edited by B1ngo

thanks to all replies,van is a swift s-line dealer special, will take all advice for moveing it round and if i struggle will get a mover fitted. (me admit defeet---never) :ph34r:

thanks all. ;)

I react like like that when overtaken by BMWs as well.

must be the areodynamics??

We love our twin axle, so much better to tow than a single axle. :D

We do have a mover for our twin axle but that is because of our garden, it's sloped where the caravan is kept and it's also impossible to reverse it down with the car. On site it is easier and quicker to either reverse it on the pitch, and I'm not too good at that, :rolleyes: or just raise the front up with the jockey wheel so the front wheels are off the ground. :)

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!

A word of warning on lifting the front of a twin with the jockey wheels as the front drawbars have maximum load rating of 100 / 150kg equal to the chassis noseweight adding extra weight of about 500kg lifting the weight of the front can bend them or crack them.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

We swapped a single axle bailey for a 2009 twin axle Abbey Spectrum in December. and I got the dealer to fit a new mover. Had a purpleline on the bailey which would not have been up to the job of the abbey so left that on the van. He fitted a powerytouch to the front axle - I was dubious about having just a two wheel drive having read various reports but I must say that I am very impressed. I needed it as I wanted to put the van on my drive with the hitch against a fence. They are also useful in snow - managed to get the bailey back into it's storage space in 5 inches of snow last January ! So, go on, put a mover on it.

For years, our outward journeys were often quiet and definitely tense. Caused by the family arguement that ensued when the wife was unable to match my 'manpower' on her side negotiating our twin wheeler out of its resting place.

For years our return journeys were also subdued, as we anticipated the family arguement that ended every holiday.

I have no problem reversing onto most pitches. But for those occasions when I need some help . ..I now let Powrtouch help.

It's surprising how much more relaxed our journeys are since it was fitted.