Awning Light

John Lee

The awning/Exterior light on our Louisiana has decided to operate only when it feels like it. looks like I'm going to have to trace the wiring & test for continuity. So far have tried "shorting" out the switch but that makes no difference. Bulb is OK & have tried a spare. Fuses OK. It failed a couple of days ago :( then worked again 'till it got real dark :) & then threw a wobbly again :angry: & hasn't worked since. It's going back into storage soon so I'll give it another going over tomorrow than think about it for awhile. :)

Anyone else had this problem?

JL

We have exactly the same problem on our Lunar. When it went in for a service I explained what was happening and the moron change the bulb and said it was now fixed. If the bulb was faulty it would weither work or not not work. Bulbs cannot be intermittent. I mentioned that it could be because the prongs on the bulb were not making proper contact but I could not see any blackneing which would indicate arcing. apparently the bulb fits into a holder that slides on a contact rail which makes it difficult to determine where the fault is.

Advise the dealer of the problem as the van is still under guarantee. If dealer mutters ask for another bulb to try. If problem persists, tell dealer to fix it!

We have exactly the same problem on our Lunar. When it went in for a service I explained what was happening and the moron change the bulb and said it was now fixed. If the bulb was faulty it would weither work or not not work. Bulbs cannot be intermittent. I mentioned that it could be because the prongs on the bulb were not making proper contact but I could not see any blackneing which would indicate arcing. apparently the bulb fits into a holder that slides on a contact rail which makes it difficult to determine where the fault is.

Advise the dealer of the problem as the van is still under guarantee. If dealer mutters ask for another bulb to try. If problem persists, tell dealer to fix it!

I'd love to have the dealer fix it & if I gave him an air ticket I'm sure he'd love to come to NZ to fix it! :lol:

That's why I'll be looking at it <_<

JL

I have never had this sort of a problem, but it sounds possibly like it is like a bad contact between the bulb and the holder, maybe a bit of oxydisation on the contacts which could be cleared by cleaning with a very fine abrasive such as Brasso. Don't know if you have that in NZ, but is used for cleaning brass so I guess you have an equivalent.

Brian

I have never had this sort of a problem, but it sounds possibly like it is like a bad contact between the bulb and the holder, maybe a bit of oxydisation on the contacts which could be cleared by cleaning with a very fine abrasive such as Brasso. Don't know if you have that in NZ, but is used for cleaning brass so I guess you have an equivalent.

Brian

Got it - actually fixed it by dismantling the light fitting & reassembling it. I don't think the bulb was firmly set into the ceramic bulb holder. Anyhow it is now & it works :) Handled the bulb though then read the note on the spare to not touch it :( Suppose it'll blow now :blink:

Did my time in the Airforce - know all about Brasso :lol:

Thanks for the help

J L

The dealer was doing another job on my van and I asked him to have a look at the fitting. Anyway he took it and checked it, nothing more, put it back in and sods law it worked fine. At an earlier time they replaced the bulb but it was still intermittent. Guess it is just a case of wait and see now. Incidentally I checked the prongs on the bulb for any signs of arcing but there was none.

Archived