Caravan Jack

Deanne

can anyone with bailey orion tell me if you get a jack with the caravan and if you do where do they hide it. Have wheel brace but no jack,? Only place we haven't looked is in the wheel which we will do but thought would ask also.

You don't get a jack or a proper jacking point, it's an Al-ko extra.

Cheap scissor jack is the answer.

Best jack for almost all caravans.

Lidl or Aldi £19. 99 hydraulic jack.

Heavy but safe!!

Plus Lidl or Aldi torque bar-mine comes with 3 deep sockets!

You need the torque bar to tighten alloys without cracking the alloy wheel.

In addition I carry an 18 inch master bar-it will loosen any nut!

I carry the lot in the back underfloor locker to balance the weight of my motor mover.

There is no way I would trust a side or bottle jack.

Deanne,

We use the Al-Ko side jack with no problems,bit pricey but it works well,lifts the Orion no problem.

The brackets are a bit awkward to fit though,got dealer to do them.

http://shop. al-ko. co. uk/products/side-lift-jack-kit-800kg-2. html

We keep it under the front bench seat of the rear dinette ( to the rear of the TV in the 440/4 ).

Ian

Best jack for almost all caravans.

Lidl or Aldi £19. 99 hydraulic jack.

Heavy but safe!!

There is no way I would trust a side or bottle jack

From long (& a near-fatal) experience I would never trust a scissor jack on a caravan. They are intrinsically unstable & sooner or later they will fail. The only reason they are supplied is because they are the cheapest option.

A hydraulic bottle jack is safer but still prone to sideways tilt. No matter what sort of jack is used, keep the 'van attached to the car for max. stability.

My answer to the problem? Get Green Flag to do it. ......that's one of the things I pay them for, & it saves me carrying the extra weight.

When all's said & done it's your life you are risking. ...ask yourself: how much do you value it at?

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I agree DO NOT use a side or bottle jack UNLESS the caravan is coupled to your car.

In decades of building race cars and repairing cars plus transporting them I have taken several punters to A&E who ignored this advice.

Two weeks ago I was collecting logs with a 1 1/2 ton 2 wheel trailer.

It was empty and had a trashed flat tyre the trolley jack was 20 minutes drive away in the caravan.

I thought I would just use a scissors jack on this "toy" trailer no need to hitch it up!

Jacked up the trailer got the loosened wheel off WHAM the trailer pivoted round the inflated tyre down came the hub carving a groove in the tarmac drive.

Naturally the axle stand was 20 feet away in the garage!

My caravan weighs 1500 kilos thats a lot when it falls on you!

I have my old Land Rover jack, which has a long winding handle.

If it can lift the Land Rover easily, the Orion will be no problem. :)

Cardiff-20140201-00211_zpsf4c06252.jpg

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Small trolley jack - only about £20 from Lidl or Aldi

330d with a Challenger following!

I have my old Land Rover jack, which has a long winding handle.

If it can lift the Land Rover easily, the Orion will be no problem. :)

Cardiff-20140201-00211_zpsf4c06252.jpg

I don't doubt it will but it's the method of using it that is of paramount importance.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

The real issue is that it doesn't matter what type of jack you use a caravan will always pivot around the opposite wheel unless the tow-hitch is secured in some way. For most usual purposes that means keeping the caravan hitched to the towcar.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

I use either a 3. 5 ton farm jack, or a 3 ton bottle jack, and always make sure the trailer is hitched to the towcar.

Thanks for replies we do have trolley jacks but just wanted to know if the Bailey Orion came as standard with a jack, apparently it doesn't.

It doesn't.

I'm in the Green Flag camp.

I'm in agreement but there are other times a jack is useful.

I fit winter wheels so a jack is necessary to put them on.

Once upon returning to our storage I managed to wrap a part of a wheel cover around the brake drum and couldn't get it off ( don't ask ),needed to remove the wheel to do it.

Would have been in a pickle without a jack of some sort so my advice would be to buy one of some sort to keep in the van and reiterate the other warnings to keep the van attached to the car whilst in use.

Incidentally I was visiting a dealer yesterday and they had the Al-Ko side lift jack for about £10 cheaper than from Al-Ko so it may pay to shop around if you decide to go down that route.

Ian

On the point of hiding the jack, as I hope I never have to use mine but still want to carry it I have placed it behind the wardrobe drawer unit in my Coachman 520/4 ViP

It's less clutter in the front or side service lockers.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

Would chocking the jockey wheel minimise the problem of pivoting?

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

Would chocking the jockey wheel minimise the problem of pivoting?

NO!

NO!

So why would having the tow ball attached make any difference then?

If the jockey wheel is effectively immobilised by the tow ball, and is also immobilised by chocks, then I can only assume the pivoting motion would be in a vertical plane, is that correct?

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by SteveMilner

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

Because the jockey wheel is like a castor and can swivel which makes it almost impossible to chock effectively. A ball and socket pivots about the centre of the ball so the caravan will pivot on a line between the ball and the point of contact of the unjacked wheel with the ground.

So why would having the tow ball attached make any difference then?

If the jockey wheel is effectively immobilised by the tow ball, and is also immobilised by chocks, then I can only assume the pivoting motion would be in a vertical plane, is that correct?

Regards,

Stephen

Chocking the jockey wheel is dubious because, as has been pointed out, it is designed to swivel. However, I have successfully used three bags of B&Q sand (quite wet, too, so heavy) to chock the jockey wheel telescopic tube. (Only when van was head-on to house, so no possibility of hitching up). The bags were, as far as possible, wrapped around the tube and j/wheel yoke, also making a complete nest round the base. I then tried to pull the j/wheel left and right, with no success, so continued with the lift.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.