C C T V Cameras

paul1966

i'm looking at getting an outdoor cctv camera to keep an eye on the van and car, i have narrowed it down to either a foscam F19805E which is HD quality or the cheaper F18905E which is 640 x 480 resolution. question is would the non HD camera give clear enough images? having no knowledge of cctv i am not sure which to get. forgot to add these are both ip cameras and i plan to record images on my synology nas

Edited by paul1966

Ford CMAX 1. 8 tdci towing 1993 fleetwood crystal

I've had CCTV now for around 20 years.

Recently bought four of these,

http://www. cctvfactory. co. uk/cctv-cameras/dome-cameras/home-range/fixed-lens-cctv-cameras/A60/ultra-pro-one-700tvl1-3-quot-960h-sony-effio-e-aluminium-dome-camera-with-osd-3. 6mm-fixed-a60

I also bought a couple at around £110 with variable lens (from Y3K)but found the limited coverage not for me, the camera image is a little better but not 4 times better. So I've just set them to the widest angle, but the drawback then is smaller images.

I would consider the HD cameras from the above site if HD is what you want.

For night viewing you may also find that extra ultra violet lights are required.

Edited by xtrailman

I've just looked at the stats for the HD version, it comes with a 4mm lens, so you have to calculate whether the coverage is ok for your needs.

I've just replaced two 4mm cameras with those in the link for more coverage.

There is a site that shows you the coverage for the different lens size I'll try and find it. Try this site.

http://www. supercircuits. com/resources/tools/fov-calculator

http://www. cctvcommunity. co. uk/questions/83/CCTV+Camera+Lens+Guide

To be honest I don't know much about the IP cameras, all mine are wired which I prefer, but I have a bungalow so wiring isn't a issue. I can also view my cameras etc on my phone and tablet, laptop, via the D1 recorder.

Edited by xtrailman

For night viewing you may also find that extra ultra violet lights are required.

Infra red lights are more appropriate unless trying to identify people from their teeth or whites of their eyes;-)

Edited by gosportvti

i would recomend swann cctv, it is what i have got set up, 3 infa red camaras, 2 on our chimney and 1 near front gate about 15ft in the air, the images are very clear, got ours from maplins

phil

Infra red lights are more appropriate unless trying to identify people from their teeth or whites of their eyes;-)

I wasn't sure when I posted, thanks for the correction. :)

Perhaps I was thinking back to my youth?

Edited by xtrailman

just checked the field of view difference between 3. 6mm and 4mm lens and at 20 feet distance the view width is 20 feet for the 3. 6 and 18 for the 4mm lens, is the 2 foot view width difference a big deal between the two?

Ford CMAX 1. 8 tdci towing 1993 fleetwood crystal

If the 4mm gives you the view you want then no.

I bought a couple of varifocal as I mentioned earlier, and both ended up at the widest angle around 2. 5mm, max was 8mm or 12mm I cant remember, but at the highest mm I wasn't getting the view I wanted, hence the following cameras were fixed at at 3. 5mm .

I've got a couple of wireless ip cams and they aren't 100% reliable - sometimes if there's a problem they'll disconnect from the router and won't reboot unless the camera power is cycled.

Another problem is that sometimes the camera starts scanning which makes it useless when all you want is a fixed view. I also have to make sure the camera it aligned so that when it decides to reset it ends up pointing in the correct direction. This seems to be attributable to small glitches in the Wi-Fi signal.

I've not got to the cause of the wireless network dropping out but it's a pain when it does. We live in a very rural area but I can still see four or five other Wi-Fi networks but they are at a much lower level than my TalkTalk Netgear router (which is vastly superior to my previous SKY one).

I've just got myself a powerline adapter to see if it gives me a more reliable ip connection to the camera.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

If you have an Android smartphone, you could download the free InSIDDer app and use it to test the wifi signal as the cctv camera gets it. Remember that wifi signals suffer from interference from microwave ovens along the transmission path from router to camera and they don't travel through walls very well either.

InSIDDer will also tell you have many radios are sharing the channel - if too many (e. g. more than 1!) then manually changing the channel will likely improve stability. If your router and camera both support 5GHz wifi then switching to this might help because most wifi devices use 2. 4GHz.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i've got CCTV on my house and watching the van, i'm not using IP based systems as i've found that they can be tempremental at best. My mates a CCTV installer and has a 16 cam IP system that reguarly, read as once a week, drops 2-3 cams off the network and they have to be restarted by power cycling.

I've got a Dedicated Micros DS2 recorder with a vista powerdome 36x camera that is on patrol, and rest of house is covered by genie true day night cams, at night they go to B&W and the picture is clear, this is with very little ambient light.

I would go for HD version of whatever camera, as it will generally give clearer images, but some cheaper cameras just interlace the pixels upto HD and only have a native resolution of 640x480.

• 7 months later...

Im interested in a system. But i dont really want to leave a computer on all the time to record. Is there a hardrive system thst is available that incorporates ip?

• 4 weeks later...

I use Eyespy24 cameras.

I have 2 x HDSD and one other, external, one (UCAM247)

All are excellent, will record to SD, Cloud or via FTP to my NAS Drive (a QNAP)

Can view all remotely via a free app on iphone.

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the looks of the Swann DVR4-1260. But a question about the recording to hard drive. Do the recordings work on a loop system? So say after 30 days recording and the hard drive is full, it over writes?

I quite like the looks of the Swann DVR4-1260. But a question about the recording to hard drive. Do the recordings work on a loop system? So say after 30 days recording and the hard drive is full, it over writes?

Yes they work on a loop, but most only record when something moves within the range of the camera. You will normally get well over 30 days unless there are moving things near the van such as tree branches or pedestrians, traffic etc. You normally get a choice of hard drive size, needless tosay, get the biggest you can afford if in doubt.

I have two trendnet tv ip310 wired up cameras that record to a NAS. Had them 6 months and no issues. I can view them via an android phone app. Also after some port forwarding on my router I can live view and play back recordings from any computer via their web interfaces.

Very pleased with then.

Jim

Edited by Jimbuoy

Unicorn Valencia S1 Xtrail MK4 2. 0DCi

• 3 months later...

bump!

I couldn't see the point in cctv until last week, unfortunately we've a set of thief's in the area and they're raiding every ones sheds garages etc. even those of the old folk bungalows :(

They've had my petrol pressure washer my two stroke lawnmower, my chainsaw and my petrol stihl strimmer :( and this is despite using proper locks.

The police have been amazing but I cant see me getting my tools back or it being cost effective by claiming on the insurance.

However the police kept asking if anyone had CCTV and how it helps them, I thought about this thread and decided to take some advice and fit some security cameras.

So day I've fitted a Swann system and I was surprised at how easy it was :)

Its a bit late for me but I hope it goes some way in helping the police to help others.

I had phoned around for quotes for someone to fit but I'm still waiting.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

i'm looking at getting an outdoor cctv camera to keep an eye on the van and car, i have narrowed it down to either a foscam F19805E which is HD quality or the cheaper F18905E which is 640 x 480 resolution. question is would the non HD camera give clear enough images? having no knowledge of cctv i am not sure which to get. forgot to add these are both ip cameras and i plan to record images on my synology nas

Have a read through this. ....https://www. cctv42. co. uk/

It's a very comprehensive description of CCTV and may persuade you not to buy from certain sources or certain brands.

No connection with the company other than, like you, I am looking for CCTV to install and came across this website.

Edit: the link includes photos comparing various combinations of lens, HD, infrared etc which show that there are many who misunderstand how CCTV works.

Edited by beejay

Have a read through this. ....https://www. cctv42. co. uk/

It's a very comprehensive description of CCTV and may persuade you not to buy from certain sources or certain brands.

No connection with the company other than, like you, I am looking for CCTV to install and came across this website.

Edit: the link includes photos comparing various combinations of lens, HD, infrared etc which show that there are many who misunderstand how CCTV works.

Some good Honest info on there Beejay. most of our domestic cctv work is ripping out cheap systems. some not even a year old.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

• 1 month later...

We have cctv. HK vision, had it getting on a year now, can look on cameras via iPhone, ipad app, any where in the world, providing we have an internet connection.

We get some very good pictures of spiders webs, as the web blows or the spider makes a new on it sets off the camera. I think the infra red lights attract the flies/moths etc.

I've now converted a fishing whip into a feather duster to remove them and I'm going to put a conker under each camera ;)

Paul B

Up date on cameras,

We've checked the cameras today and this morning we have the pictures of two blokes nicking a strimmer and some hedge cutters, we've spent the rest of the day trying to get through to the police on the 101 number :blink:

The last time I was waiting for an adviser for almost 20 mins before I gave up :(

Paul B

Well i've got CCTV on my house and watching the van, i'm not using IP based systems as i've found that they can be tempremental at best. My mates a CCTV installer and has a 16 cam IP system that reguarly, read as once a week, drops 2-3 cams off the network and they have to be restarted by power cycling.

I've got a Dedicated Micros DS2 recorder with a vista powerdome 36x camera that is on patrol, and rest of house is covered by genie true day night cams, at night they go to B&W and the picture is clear, this is with very little ambient light.

I would go for HD version of whatever camera, as it will generally give clearer images, but some cheaper cameras just interlace the pixels upto HD and only have a native resolution of 640x480.

That's an expensive set up you have there. Most people won't pay out for a DS2. Even the modern DM Ecosense can cost more than an entire system from Maplins.

2003 Volvo V70 2. 4 gas guzzler.
2011 Bailey Olympus 534.
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

I have a 16ch Ds2 in bits in the dining room. One disc has failed and its the one woth the software on it. Just my luck.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Which M/board is in it? If it's an M2IP board then the firmaware should be on the baord. If it's DVTX or DVTU then you are probably out of luck. Although, you can telnet into it, set the IP and then upload the firmware. It's been a very long time since I had to do that. ( I got trained by DM so I could change drives on machines still inder warranty).

2003 Volvo V70 2. 4 gas guzzler.
2011 Bailey Olympus 534.
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me!