Route Châlons-En-Champagne To Colmar

We're going to Ribeauville.(just north of Colmar) via Salzburg. I put both routes into Via Michelin and although there is more mileage it's takes about the same time via the motorway.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Hi Rishogun, It's big roads and much of it dual carriageway from Chalons via St Dizier, Nancy and Luneville, which are all by-passed, then after St Die des Vosges it gets steeper and twistier over the Vosges hills via the Col du Bonhomme, but nothing to worry about unless you are hopelessly under-powered.

Edited by moorgate

If you don't want to go over the col, stay on the A59/159 after St Die des Vosges, through the tunnel (small toll) to Selesat then down to Colmar on the A25.

We go this route when going to Riquewhir, which is north of Colmar.

Lovely area. ..will be stopping off there again, this year, en route to Italy.

Edited by ericfield

That toll fee has frigtened me off!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

We use this route at least four times a year. Heading south is no problem although some of the roads at the top of the mountain are rough and some towns and villages can be a pain due to speed limits and parked cars. Once over the top you are faced with a very steep and twisty down hill section. Certainly doable with a caravan but not for the nervous!!

Heading north I would always recommend the tunnel rather than towing up the section referred to above. Its a long hard tug and you will possibly get stuck behind someone even slower with no opportunity to get past. You will be in first or second gear for much of the climb, watch the fuel gauge drop! The tunnel toll charge may appear more reasonable then. We find this route much better than staying on the autoroutes when heading for Basle, more interesting and cheaper.

If you are going to Alsace consider the municipal at Obernai. Great site, all staff speak good English (even swear in English as appropriate!), good facilities, free wi-fi site wide, good local wine available, and little more than 10 mins walk into a quaint old town centre. Good supermarkets either nearby or less than 10 mins drive.

Obernai is on the Alsace wine route and about 25 miles from Colmar - which is a much more touristic location with the attendant prices. About 20 miles from Strasbourg, less than 10 miles from Germany over the Rhine, and the next town north - Molshiem - is where they make Bugattis.

Highly recommended.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

We're going to Ribeauville.(just north of Colmar) via Salzburg. I put both routes into Via Michelin and although there is more mileage it's takes about the same time via the motorway.

Well of course I meant Strasbourg NOT Salzburg (no idea where that is !) !

We are stopping off at Verdun - we have just two days to get to Ribeauville so it's autoroute all the way !!! :P

We are meeting friends there who are taking the train and renting an apartment for a week. I think it's going to cost us more than them ! Oh the joys of caravanning ! We live and learn ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Well of course I meant Strasbourg NOT Salzburg (no idea where that is !) !

We are stopping off at Verdun - we have just two days to get to Ribeauville so it's autoroute all the way !!! :P

We are meeting friends there who are taking the train and renting an apartment for a week. I think it's going to cost us more than them ! Oh the joys of caravanning ! We live and learn ! :rolleyes:

Salzburg is worth a visit. ... if you ever get SE of Munich. :-)

We take the tunnel crossing in the afternoon and stop at Licques (ACSI site) overnight. Doing it this way, we don't lose the hour time difference or the crossing time, off the first days travel.

Leaving Licques at 7am we make Alsace in one journey.

Be warned. The municipal at Verdun is not too good and it and the whole area is, by French standards, decidedly expensive.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Be warned. The municipal at Verdun is not too good and it and the whole area is, by French standards, decidedly expensive.

We're staying at Camping Les Breuils. It looks ok. It's only for one night. ....... :)