Towing - Question

jon

I have a Chrysler Voyager 1992 2. 0 SE. Not the grand.

I wan to find out if this is a good match to tow a new Bailey Ranger 560/6 Can anyone point me in a good direction ?

New Caravanner here, so a bit of a virgin.

The MTPLM of the Bailey 550/6 is 1296kg so long as the Kerb weight of your car is greater than 1525kg than it should be a good match.

This is based upon the 85% rule Caravan MTPLM being a maximum of 85% of the cars kerb weight for a novice.

You can legally tow upto 100% of the cars kerb weight, however for a novice it is not advisable.

You will need to check in your cars handbook what the maximum towing limit is also it would be worth checking the max nose weight for the towing hitch as this will greatly affect the stability of the rig.

Desperado

Guest iancjc

you should be fine - the gross weight of these is around 1900kg's so weight wise it will be good.

Not sure it will be very rapid though 2. 0ltr and approx 3 tonnes of metal to shift!

Checked with the caravan club technical line and they have advised the the max weight is not a problem but that the car is underpowered. Apparently you should have a minimum ogf 40 bhp / tonne but this rig works out at 38 bhp / tonne

Not sure if I agree with that.

My (diesel) car is 111bhp, the petrol version is about 138bhp I think. ......but the diesel is a much better towcar.

Torque is what's important when towing.

Guest iancjc

Checked with the caravan club technical line and they have advised the the max weight is not a problem but that the car is underpowered. Apparently you should have a minimum ogf 40 bhp / tonne but this rig works out at 38 bhp / tonne

that makes sense to me as when we towed with our C8 combined weight 3200kg's bhp 110 (2. 0hdi) it really struggled and the temperature needle just headed north at every hill. I think the relatice size of the engine may come into play as well a larger diesel with less bhp would I (bet) be better than a smaller diesel with similar power. .... torque on the C8 was ok but when tried out it just wasn't comfortable to drive - in theory it could tow 1800kg's - if it could I wouldn't have wanted to be behind it on a hill!

I decided that our C8 wasn't up to the job - initially had it chipped then replaced it all together. - we had far less than 38hp to the tonne though.

The real problem is the cost to try it out - if you don't have a towbar all ready it adds to the expense of changing the car later on (effectively we wasted £250 on the tow bar and a further £200 on the engine remap before we p/x'd it) - are there no voyager forums to ask for advise on - I'm sure someone must have towed with one.

Archived