Practical Caravan Survey Results

xtrailman

Now how can these results possibly be true with the slating that Bailey receive on this forum????

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I had exactly the same thought John.

Stop lying to us you Bailey owners ;)

It would be interesting to see the complete breakdown of the survey figures. Two and a half thousand respondents seems to be a very small proportion of the number of pre-owned and new caravans sold during 2013.

I think you will find the list in each group silver or gold award, is in alphabetical order not the position they came

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

Could it be that the buyers of new and used caravans made by that company which came bottom are just a little more discerning and have generally higher standards than the rest, and so score their vans lower?

:ph34r:

Trevor.

I think you will find the list in each group silver or gold award, is in alphabetical order not the position they came

Agreed

It would be interesting to see the complete breakdown of the survey figures. Two and a half thousand respondents seems to be a very small proportion of the number of pre-owned and new caravans sold during 2013.

Totally agreed.

And I wonder how they used the figures to determine the outcome. I'd be interested to know exactly how the varying number of respondents in each category were compared one with the other to provide a rank order!

Edited by John_b_45

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Could it be that the buyers of new and used caravans made by that company which came bottom are just a little more discerning and have generally higher standards than the rest, and so score their vans lower?

:ph34r:

Or that owners of some of the top range caravans are perfectly happy to shell out hundreds of pounds to have additional radiator fitted to get the bathroom warm, remove decals to get rid of the ridiculous appearance, put up with sub standard fixtures and fittings and still give them a glowing report.

Ap

my copy of the magazine turned up this morning and we got a shout out. we are the highest scoring dealer of both new and also pre-owned caravans in Lancashire. so not doing too bad thank you very much

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Or that owners of some of the top range caravans are perfectly happy to shell out hundreds of pounds to have additional radiator fitted to get the bathroom warm, remove decals to get rid of the ridiculous appearance, put up with sub standard fixtures and fittings and still give them a glowing report.

Ap

I have a Unicorn Valencia 2: I guess that is the van you are sniding at? My bathroom is perfectly warm, I like the appearance, the fittings (fridge toilet cooker etc) are the same as any other van. I've used it extensively and it has been grand. However, I didn't take part in this meaningless, tiny sample, survey in a magazine I never read.

PS I see a dealer got a Gold award for 94% satisfaction. I would have thought 94% a pretty poor score.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I did not take part but I have had dealings (not bought a van though) with the dealer who came out on top for supplying new vans and my experience has been all good, similarly I have past experience with one of the "also rans " down the page when I bought an Hymer and I would not have put them on the page.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

my copy of the magazine turned up this morning and we got a shout out. we are the highest scoring dealer of both new and also pre-owned caravans in Lancashire. so not doing too bad thank you very much

I think the dealer aspect is the most valuable and significant part of the survey. If you get a rubbish caravan and a good dealer customer satisfaction will be the outcome. Get a good caravan and a rubbish dealer the outcome doesn't bode well.

Well done

Ap

I have a Unicorn Valencia 2: I guess that is the van you are sniding at? My bathroom is perfectly warm, I like the appearance, the fittings (fridge toilet cooker etc) are the same as any other van. I've used it extensively and it has been grand. However, I didn't take part in this meaningless, tiny sample, survey in a magazine I never read.

PS I see a dealer got a Gold award for 94% satisfaction. I would have thought 94% a pretty poor score.

A bit tetchy there!

You can't argue the fact that many owners are not happy with the heating, many have rectified the situation at considerable cost to themselves, that really doesn't seem like a good design to me.

I'm really pleased that you find yours acceptable and you're completely happy with your van.

Ap

The number of entries was low, but more than last year.

For some reason people see the survey as a back door to the insurance getting your details, which I find a bit odd considering the information everyone fills in when applying for insurance anyway.

I haven't been contacted myself by them, and I did fill the survey in and mentioned my damp lockers.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/79269-satisfaction-survey-please-fill-in/?hl=practical&do=findComment&comment=838454

Considering the company that's come last again has major build problems, posted on most forums, it does appear to reflect reality.

There are some weird results in the survey of caravan makers.

Why for instance are Lunar/Venus lumped together as one entry when Swift, Sterling and Sprite are each considered separately? Surely to be fair you either lump all a manufacturers brands together or you report all their brands separately, but you don't report one way for one manufacturer and the opposite for another.

That's resulted in the stupidity of Sprite brand vans, built in Cottingham on the same production lines and with the same design, sourcing and production teams, getting a gold award whilst Swift and Sterling get a silver.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Sprites are usually cheaper, so expectations are lower, same as buying a Skoda, where people think they're getting a Audi cheap.

If you buy the top of the range expectations are naturally higher?

Considering the company that's come last again has major build problems, posted on most forums, it does appear to reflect reality.

Last in what - pray tell!

Sam :beardy:

Sprites are usually cheaper, so expectations are lower, same as buying a Skoda, where people think they're getting a Audi cheap.

If that's so then why isn't the Venus brand (Lunar's entry level equivalent to a Sprite) considered separately? And why are Swift and Sterling brands considered separately when they're the same range of vans just with different internal finishes and stickers?

If expectations are supposed to be higher for more expensives ranges why doesn't the survey split the results down to Conqueror and Challenger or Orion/Pursuit and Unicorn etc?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Ex Audi owner ---- yes i did & i did

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

I think the dealer aspect is the most valuable and significant part of the survey. If you get a rubbish caravan and a good dealer customer satisfaction will be the outcome. Get a good caravan and a rubbish dealer the outcome doesn't bode well.

Well done

Ap

A bit tetchy there!

You can't argue the fact that many owners are not happy with the heating, many have rectified the situation at considerable cost to themselves, that really doesn't seem like a good design to me.

I'm really pleased that you find yours acceptable and you're completely happy with your van.

Ap

Tetchy, sure, that's me. I can't argue? Oh yes I can: I actually have one of these vans. You think it's ugly: fair enough, I don't. I don't think it's good looking either, in fact i think it's OK, not as pretty as a Swift or a Coachman, better than a Lunar. But so what? Who would choose a caravan on how it looks outside? Inside, that's what is important. "Many owners are not happy." That's fair enough, personally I am happy with the van. It meets my expectations: as an ex caravan salesman and a caravanner for three decades my expectations are low. I have a very low opinion of the quality of ALL caravans: volumes are small, models are constantly being changed and they are built down to a weight. We put up with quality issues purely because caravanning is such fun.

I DO find mine acceptable, I am NOT completely happy with mine as you say, I am happy enough.

Finally, I think the survey is meaningless rubbish. (Sorry.) The sample, number of respondents, is meaninglessly small. And a top result of 94% is not a triumph, it is a concern.

Tetchy, sure, that's me. I can't argue? Oh yes I can: I actually have one of these vans. You think it's ugly: fair enough, I don't. I don't think it's good looking either, in fact i think it's OK, not as pretty as a Swift or a Coachman, better than a Lunar. But so what? Who would choose a caravan on how it looks outside? Inside, that's what is important. "Many owners are not happy." That's fair enough, personally I am happy with the van. It meets my expectations: as an ex caravan salesman and a caravanner for three decades my expectations are low. I have a very low opinion of the quality of ALL caravans: volumes are small, models are constantly being changed and they are built down to a weight. We put up with quality issues purely because caravanning is such fun.

I DO find mine acceptable, I am NOT completely happy with mine as you say, I am happy enough.

Finally, I think the survey is meaningless rubbish. (Sorry.) The sample, number of respondents, is meaninglessly small. And a top result of 94% is not a triumph, it is a concern.

Fair comment, outside appearance has really blown it for me with the new unicorns, the big window I didn't like but all of the awful sculpting at the front really does break the deal completely, so it's back to the drawing board, eternities being my current favourite, just need to earn a few more pennies.

Ap

Well the big window is lovely from the inside, though I have no idea why they made it opening instead of bonding it in. The front is pretty ugly but who looks at the front when you are in it? The Eternitis look great on paper, I'm concerned by quality issues that have been raised on CT esp. with the company being so young. With caravans it's all compromise, we just have to decide which bits we'll compromise on and which are our essentials.

If that's so then why isn't the Venus brand (Lunar's entry level equivalent to a Sprite) considered separately? And why are Swift and Sterling brands considered separately when they're the same range of vans just with different internal finishes and stickers?

If expectations are supposed to be higher for more expensives ranges why doesn't the survey split the results down to Conqueror and Challenger or Orion/Pursuit and Unicorn etc?

Probably because so few entered the survey, it was probably group them or leave them out?

At any rate you will never get a survey that satisfies everyone.

Not in the magazine. They are listed with percentage scores - from Adria at 97. 5% down to Elddis (& Sterling) with 80% for new caravans. Other categories are also listed with percentage scores which are too long to list here. Sprite had an impressive 94. 5% which seems strange when they're produced by the same place that makes Sterling! Even stranger, the results are reversed when applied to pre-ownedcaravans where Sterling are top with 91% and Sprite are bottom with 84%.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution