Compulsory Wearing Of Helmets ?

Bobby Brocklebank

Listening to Call Kay on Radio Scotland this morning whilst doing ma Hoose Work. ... Discussion this morning on the compulsory wearing of cycle helmets which I thought would be a " Shooty In " , Eh ? No ! So much so even the CTC a rather large cycling charity are also against the compulsory wearing of helmets having the view it will discourage new cyclists getting on there bikes. ..... :blink: My oh My ?? Strangely in America they have less cycle accidents and only one percent of cyclists wear helmets. .... I wear a helmet for self protection/preservation of life but probably have more of a chance being injured due to a pothole than being hit by a fellow road User !!! Confused on this one especially with CTC's reaction. .....

GAS . ... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First it will be helmets, then knee pads and before you know it you,ll be cycling with a full suit of armour. ;)

Gas I'm old enough to have ridden in the anti crash helmet protests. I was not protesting at the

compulsory wearing of crash helmets however. Many protesters were there to protest the fact that ones freedom of choice was being taken away. I did and always have worn a crash helmet whilst ridding my many motorcycles, I wouldn't dream of not doing so.

The CTC have got it wrong in my opinion their reasoning seems. ... well to be honest ridiculous. ..

I am against anything that gets in the way of our jelly waistline youth getting on a bike :D .

That includes wearing a helmet.

I always wear one since I need it on my recumbent trike

1 to keep the low sun off.

2 to keep my bald head dry/warm/cool.

3 for my LED front light

After 26000 miles in 14 countries I was hit by a bus in Berlin.

My helmet was damaged so I suppose it did its job :) .

The topic does generate a lot of heat especially by non-cyclists :D:D

First it will be helmets, then knee pads and before you know it you,ll be cycling with a full suit of armour. ;)

Surely Alex if it helps save a life it must be a good thing so Politics should be put aside . ....

GAS . .... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

There is an interesting video re. cycling in Holland on U Tube, apparently over there only children wear helmets, but I think the Dutch have a totally different attitude towards cycling. Personally I always wear one as I only have one head. A teenager from Skegness recently ended up with serious brain damage after a minor cycling accident in which he didn't have a helmet on . His Dad started a campaign and petition to make wearing them compulsory, but it fell on deaf ears when presented to the government.

lukijb

putting my cynical head on I wonder if the government would be more willing to enforce the wearing of helmets if there was VAT on safety equipment. ;)

If the helmets where better designed possible more would wear them

But I notice those with all the safety gear on when riding a bike they tend to get cut up more than those without

Rita said,

But I notice those with all the safety gear on when riding a bike they tend to get cut up more than those without

That's an interesting observation Rita, I wonder if there isn't a bit of the I have the gear on so I'm invulnerable attitude going on there too. .....you know a bit like the old Volvo driver syndrome of my car is well built so I'm safe. ...sorry Volvo drivers. . ;)

I wear a helmet when cycling, I would consider myself a sporting cyclist having raced and trained for many years. Now I only do about 80 miles per week but always witha helmet on, for sure they are not going to help uch if i get hit by something heavy and fast, but from experience they may have helped in the couple of times I came off and clouted my head. The fact they were damaged rather than my skull gives me that information to think about.

Should they be compulsory, well only if not being obese is as well.

If the helmets where better designed possible more would wear them

I have never noticed this in about 200,000 miles of cycling.

Nanny state. elf n safety. Mind your own business Mr politician

I hate cycle helmets, head gets too hot. I wear one if riding in traffic, only then.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

The CTC have been consistent on this all along.

Should be left to individual choice and really no comparison to the wearing of motorcycle helmets.

If you are going to legislate then there has to be enforcement. Who's going to enforce compulsory wearing of a helmet and certainly no-one on a public bridleway? In such a circumstance will only bring conflict between cyclists, walkers and horse riders.

John.

Cycle helmets are only proven to protect the head if the cyclist is travelling at a speed lower than 12 mph. Great for small children but not really very helpful for adults. I still wear mine for every ride though, just in case.

Cycle helmets are only proven to protect the head if the cyclist is travelling at a speed lower than 12 mph. Great for small children but not really very helpful for adults. I still wear mine for every ride though, just in case.

I think that is an impact of 12mph, by the time your head hits the ground it may have slowed down from whatever speed you were doing. Also that is direct impact as opposed to a glancing blow.

Nanny state. elf n safety. Mind your own business Mr politician

I hate cycle helmets, head gets too hot. I wear one if riding in traffic, only then.

Might be the wrong type of helmet, mine create quite a draught and I have never felt that I got too hot.

Edited by screenman

I think that is an impact of 12mph, by the time your head hits the ground it may have slowed down from whatever speed you were doing. Also that is direct impact as opposed to a glancing blow.

Might be the wrong type of helmet, mine create quite a draught and I have never felt that I got oo hot.

The impact velocity of the head could just as readily have speeded up from 12 mph until it makes contact with an inanimate object like a kerb.

The impact velocity of the head could just as readily have speeded up from 12 mph until it makes contact with an inanimate object like a kerb.

You are absolutely correct, but I would imagine the opposite may be more likely. Normally hand or arm first, shoulder next then the head.

But of course I could well be totally wrong, but this argument from experience could fill this forum for months on end.

Most primary school children should be doing Bikeability by now and be used to being taught while wearing a helmet by a helmet-wearing instructor. The CTC supports free choice until a law making helmets compulsory is passed. Then they'll support the law.

I don't enjoy wearing a helmet and I believe I get more consideration from traffic if I don't wear one.

hawkaye :beardy:

Most primary school children should be doing Bikeability by now and be used to being taught while wearing a helmet by a helmet-wearing instructor. The CTC supports free choice until a law making helmets compulsory is passed. Then they'll support the law.

I don't enjoy wearing a helmet and I believe I get more consideration from traffic if I don't wear one.

Exactly what I have observed :)

I was in the CTC for a few years a while ago oop north. I cycled a lot of miles over hill and dale and never felt the need to wear a helmet. Mind you, 20 odd years ago they were expensive and heavy. ..and a bit silly looking too. Now, after being tw*tted off by a couple of cars and getting 6 stitches in me noggin' I tend to wear one all the time. On the other hand there are cyclists who feel the need to cut drivers up - a no win scenario if ever.

Apparently Australia tried it in the early 90s and the result was a 15 to 20 per cent drop in the number of hospital admissions for head injuries. That would have been great, but it also reduced the number of cyclists by around 35 per cent. The hassle and, for teenagers, embarrassment of wearing one steered people away from bikes and towards public transport and cars. And that, counter-intuitively, could have been bad news for their health.

Volvo XC70 towing a Coachman VIP 520

The older I get the better I was

Judging from the idiot cyclists I come across on the roads EVERY day, it is a big assumption that they have anything between their ears worth protecting. Perhaps if they were subject to the law more often they might not only gain some respect but improve their attitudes towards other roed users.

My apologies to those of you who know how to cycle correctly. Just telling it how it is.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

The amount of motorist I see every day who do not know how to overtake a cyclist, or have any idea of how much space they should allow them. Even more that fact that every cyclist you see is one less car jamming up our roads.

Come on I drive 40,000miles per year, for sure I see the odd idiot on a bike, but maybe 1 for every 1,000 people on the phone etc.

The amount of motorist I see every day who do not know how to overtake a cyclist, or have any idea of how much space they should allow them. Even more that fact that every cyclist you see is one less car jamming up our roads.

Come on I drive 40,000miles per year, for sure I see the odd idiot on a bike, but maybe 1 for every 1,000 people on the phone etc. I don't disagree with anything you've said but, as a group, cyclists are in a world of their own.

One thought that occurs to me; if cyclists require sooo much room on the road (because of instability problems?) is it not them that are actually clogging the roads up?

I don't disagree with anything you've said but, as a group, cyclists are in a world of their own.

One thought that occurs to me; if cyclists require sooo much room on the road (because of instability problems?) is it not them that are actually clogging the roads up & making them more dangerous?

Note that I do a fair bit of cycling myself & I could tell you of quite a few motorists that I would ban off the roads.

However, I don't feel the need to wobble, undertake stationary traffic on their blind side, ignore red lights & pedestrian crossings, ride without lights, isolate myself with earplugs or wear dark clothes to obscure my presence. Things that the average motorist & pedestrian has to compensate for.

I am not taking sides & apologise to the OP for going way off subject.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I have been posting on this forum for a year and a bit now.

Generally speaking I would describe the forum as populated by anti cyclist car drivers :D.

Fortunately there are a few of us cyclist/drivers to even things up!!

The big picture is our burger munching telly-game-phone obsessed youth like sitting on their bottoms!!

This MUST be changed we must get our lardy youth moving!!

Wearing cycle helmets or not!

Their lard is going to kill them a lot quicker than cycling with or without a helmet!