Trip To France

Hi,

This is my first post.

I bought a 2001 bailey ranger 510/4 last year that needed recommissioning, I have went through everything and the caravan is now in 100 percent working condition. We did a maiden voyage to the west of ireland in the summer and all went very well. It was a 250 mile journey each way.

Myself, my wife and her 11 year old niece are planning to head over to france ( cherbourg ) and travel through central France via orleans/montpelliar/marsielle or Rennes/nantes/limoges/marsielle. These are the routes which the route planner suggests without tolls. We want to spend 3 days traveling down and 3 days coming back. Our final destination is a beach campsite somewhere near Saint Tropez. Stay 1 week there.

We have camped with a tent before around europe and always said that when we got a caravan we would make the trip to south of france.

I'm looking for suggestions for places to stay in or near saint tropez.

We have not planned any stop off points yet along the way but hope stay in some of the municipal sites. Our budget is not huge.

Your thought and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I always enjoy reading the forum, the tips and advice are invaluable.

Conor

Edited by conor998

Welcome. Can't help with the sites but I'll move this post to Caravan Hols Abroad section where it will get a better coverage.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Don't worry. We're not all perfect - in fact, there is actually only one person in the world who is perfect and I married her!

But we all make mistakes :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

What time of year are you travelling Conor?

And from where in Ireland do you come from. .. lovely country!!!

G.

P. S. Oh! and :welcome:

Edited by chapmag

Assuming you are going to St Tropez area in August beware of the traffic.

We have stayed on sites in the Frejus area and found the coast roads to St Tropez and the other way, to Monaco were blighted with traffic.

I gave up trying to drive to St Tropez and went to Port Grimaud. Found best way to get to St Tropez was boat from St Maxime . Trips towards Nice and Monaco were only do-able on the train. ( bargain carte Isabelle)

Sorry to be negative but would hate your first trip to be spoilt in any way. The southern france area is beautiful but be aware of how busy it can get.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

Assuming you are going to St Tropez area in August beware of the traffic.

:goodpost:

This is certainly something to be aware of. I must have spent hours queuing along that coast road staring at the pampas grass that blocks out any view from the car seat. St Tropez is quite a nice little town with extremely narrow back streets, but we found the old fishing port was not the cleanest of areas, with much rubbish floating in the sea just around the corner from the massive "hooray henry" yachts that abound in the marina.

Gordon.

StTropez.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Thanks for the replies,

We are heading over on the 23rd of april, back on the 6th or the 8th of may. This is the same time as before and it was pretty quite. We stayed in a b&b then. 100 euro per night, bit much for what it was to be honest.

I've seen some campsites near grimaud, was thinking this maybe the way to go.

Has anyone stayed there?

Conor

Hi Connor

In early April/May you need to be looking at the ACSI Card website - www. campingcard. co. uk - for a discount scheme where sites in the scheme can cost as little as 10 euros per night for a pitch, two adults, car and caravan, awning, and electricity. There are 29 sites at 10 euros, but many more at 12, 14, 16 or 18 euros for the same package. You can use the card on sites for overnight stops, too.

Also have a look at the Camping Cheques website - www. campingcheque. co. uk for more 'discounted sites'. A Camping Cheque costs £14. 95 and pays for the same package, though you can sometimes buy them on forums such as this one for whatever amount is negotiated between buyer and seller.

The nearest site to St Tropez, in the ACSI book, is Prairies de la Mer, which is on the beach at Port Grimaud just around the bay. It accepts the ACSI Card from the 5th April 2014 and will cost 18 euros per night (as said for pitch, two adults, car and caravan, awning, and electricity). This will save you 12 euros per night on the normal site tariff, but you'll still pay the 6 euros supplement for the extra child.

We have friends who live in La Croix Valmer, so it's an area we've visited a lot in the past. In April/May it should be fine - the traffic will still be busy - but it's the best time to see that area, with the spring blossom, the fresh green leaves everywhere, and less crowds. It's an area I'm very familiar with and if you bump into an Englishman (who looks French now) named Ivan and his wife Jane and two very large dogs - say hello from Val and David

There are other beachside sites in La Croix Valmer and/or Cavalaire which are just over the hill. Selection Camping is a site which is just a very short stroll to the beach, as is Camping de la Baie - and both these have swimming pools where Prairies de la Mer doesn't have.

Edited by ValA

More advice about budgets, fill up with fuel on your overnight stops rather than whilst you 'on the road'. Find a site, unhitch, and then use this French Government website 'Prix du Carburants' to find the cheapest fuel in the area. It could save you up to 20 cents per litre!!!

That is fantastic advice val, I will look into getting the camping card/cheque and the fuel website.

I'll be looking out for the big dogs.

Conor

• 7 months later...

Hi Folks,

Just want to say that we ended up in many sites through france and spain but ended up in a place called

"camping mont roig" which is 8kms south of cambrils, 14kms Salou, I can't recommend this place enough.

It is a 5 star site and has heated outside pool, lovely bar/restaurant, a super market with everything you may need and all very reasonably priced with a friendly service. Entertainment for children, It just puts many others to shame. We stayed in a campsite the night before just down the road and it was actually more expensive with none of the above, the guy at the reception actually laughed when I asked about the pool as it was out of season.

Also, they take the ACSI card. Have a Very clean private beach. Just couldn't fault it.

Will be going again for sure.

Conor