On The Road Using A Motor Mover

audio2

When using a motor mover on a public road does caravan insurance cover damage to the caravan & third party liability?

Bailey Unicorn Valencia S2 & BMW E61 530i

For a definitive answer you should ring your caravan insurance company :)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

When using a motor mover on a public road does caravan insurance cover damage to the caravan & third party liability?

As Doosan says ask your own company, but in theory yes, your car insurance will NOT cover it.

Radiotwo

Edited by RADIOTWO

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

For a definitive answer you should ring your caravan insurance company :)

But please bring the "answer" back as this must be very relevant to many of us.

I have to bring my van onto/off of the public highway.

Somewhere here this was debated last year or year before and I cannot find it. ........my memory was that it didn't cover accidental damage but again each policy is different. ......what does your say?

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I have insurance with the Camping & Caravan Club which includes £5m Public Liability but excludes liabilities for which compulsory insurance is required for any road traffic legislation. I will contact them to establish what is covered.

Does ths mean with comprehensive caravan insurance, there are situations that you are still not insured.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Surely its no different to if you're manoevering the caravan by hand and you lose control?

So, yes, I'd expect the caravan insurance to pay up - if you have been negligent. If you have not been negligent then there is no basis for the third party to claim.

But . .. I can't think of any circumstance where it would be ruled non-negligent.

The Public Liability exception states "Damage to property owned by you or your family". I think this may be a fairly common exception, my father had to pay to rebuild his garage when he drove his car into it.

The Public Liability exception states "Damage to property owned by you or your family". I think this may be a fairly common exception, my father had to pay to rebuild his garage when he drove his car into it.

I used to drive my car into the garage on a regular basis, I dont recall having to rebiuld it. :)

I have spoken to Camping & Caravan Club insurance who confirm that Public Liability cover is valid when manoeuvring a caravan on a Public Road using the motor mover. They also confirmed that if I hit my daughter's car the damage to her vehicle would not be covered on the caravan policy.

The Road Traffic Act defines a motor vehicle as a "mechanically propelled vehicle constructed or adapted for use on the road". A caravan is not per se 'mechanically propelled' but the mover could render it so. I would argue that the addition of a mover to a caravan does not make it fall within the definition

I'm just careful! ;)

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg.