New To Caravans

malcolmgeall

Just a quick Hello from Myself, Malcolm, Julie my partner and Mush our Alaskan Malamute, who seems to think he rules the House, Disco and now probably the Caravan. Well come the middle to end of March, we are all leaving Barnstaple in North Devon, travelling down the North Coast to Lands End, then back up the South Coast to John O'Groats then back down the North Coast on the return leg to Barnstaple. We plan to take 2 to 3 months to complete this trip and would appreciate any advice, ideas on sites to visit along the way and anything else you think might be helpful to two new beginners.

We are looking forward to any help and advice you can give us!

Cheers

Hello to you both & welcome to the forum

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of the tin tent. :D

That’s a great adventure you have planned for your first outing. I wish you well and hope you get some great weather. :)

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure a lot of us are green with envy at your planned trip :) Advice for a beginner. .......... get a porch awning (if you don't have one already) - wet dog in a caravan - not good ! Carry a spare gas bottle & with the mileage you will be doing make sure your caravan spare wheel is OK. Other than that, do watch the weather reports & avoid moving on if high winds are forecast.

Last but not least. .......... Have a great time :D

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Consider joining one of the clubs and make sure you are part of a decent breakdown service. Check your house insurance as they may not cover the contents if you away for more than 30 days.

Consider a spare 110Va battery. Porch awning essential for the dog as lesbunny says.

Cant list what to see as you are covering most of the UK!

Best of luck and why not write a blog of your trip as it happens. We have a blog section with a link below Advice at tne top of every page. Then we can all enjoy your trip as it happens.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I think my old English sheepdog would be most upset to be put out in the porch awning! There'd be no chance of that happening.

If you're a bit of a prepared for everything person you might consider carrying a spare water pump or replacement head depending on your water system, selection of light bulbs, tools, carbon monoxide detector, fire extinguisher, 2 gas bottles, plenty of elsan or whatever loo juice you prefer, mobile mifi so you can tell everyone on CT what a nice time youre having! fuses, torch, that sort of thing. Get a long electric lead if you are going to stay on the smaller CL sites that cost less, easy to put up awning as someone said porch style (we went for inflatable).

Check the age of the tyres on the van if you haven't already, they shouldn't be more than 5 years old really.

If you want a nice view over Mounts Bay whilst your down this way Golden Gate Farm CC site (caravan and camping club) looks over the whole of the bay, Trevedra Farm is well run at Lands End (caravan club field and non members field), there is a site at porthcurno on the cliffs if you google it, it's non club but you'll need to book soon to get in - busy with kids though - that's good or bad depending on your outlook!

Hi and welcome to Caravan Talk.

That's quite a journey you have planned there so I wonder if you would consider opening a blog on CT, and then maintaining a kind of diary of events as you complete your travels. I am sure that there are many here who would be interested in following your adventure. We may also be able to add some suggested places to visit as you travel.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.