Dealer You Bought Van Off To Service Or Not? Discuss

Llew

Hi All

There are a lot of complaints on this and other forums about problems with new vans and the dealers/manufacturers reluctance to sort them out.

So, do you return to the dealer when the van is due it's service or not?

I always prefer to have an approved mobile guy to service my van safe in the knowledge that I can see exactly what he has or hasn't done. You can't do that with your dealer because you drop the van off and collect it later.

I am really cynical where dealers are concerned and I'm convinced that some of them, although not all, will hide a problem rather than sort it under warranty, e. g damp. How do you know that the figures on the damp report are correct, and they haven't put lower figures than the actual readings to save on having to claim, and lets be honest anybody can tick the service sheet to say that the items on there have been done.

It happened to me a few years back, van went to the dealer for a service, I collected it later, but something just didn't seem right. When I got back to the storage yard, I had a quick look, grease nipples were bone dry, no new grease on the corner steadies, toilet and cassette were completely dry, bearing in mind I dropped it off and collected later the same day so there should have been some signs of water in either the toilet or cassette.

I contacted the dealer straight away, who assured me that everything on the checklist was done even though I told them about what I had found.

So for my own piece of mind, I had a mobile guy to look over it. His words after half an hour were "If they have even looked at this van let alone done any work on it I'll eat my hat" and guess what, his damp report readings were totally different to theirs.

The dealers readings were between 10-13%, while his ranged from 13-25% with the 25% reading above the front window.

Armed with this info, the van went back to the dealer who couldn't have been more sheepish if he was wearing a woolly jumper, and suddenly couldn't do enough for me. They gave me my money back, offered me a free service for the following year which I declined, and sorted the damp above the front window, which incidently had it been left for another year would have resulted in structural damage. :angry:

So there you have it folks, sorry about the long winded post but as the title says, do you take your van back to the supplying dealer for a service or not?

Just remember, trust no one suspect everyone. As I said previously, this doesn't apply to all dealers, there are some good ones out there, but once bitten twice shy.

Depends so much on your dealer and your knowledge of him. I've never bought a new van, but the dealer I bought my used van from is very good, and yes, I would trust him.

I know it is not permitted on a forum like this, but your dealer should really be named and shamed. We have to wonder how many others he has done that too. Not every one is as conscientious as you.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Depends so much on your dealer and your knowledge of him. I've never bought a new van, but the dealer I bought my used van from is very good, and yes, I would trust him.

I know it is not permitted on a forum like this, but your dealer should really be named and shamed. We have to wonder how many others he has done that too. Not every one is as conscientious as you.

The good thing is not so big john, this dealer went out of business a few years ago.

My answer to your question is simple: I use a trusted mobile guy for servicing and the dealer for warranty work. First time I had my 3 year old swift done by a mobile he had a nightmare getting the one shot nuts off: they'd obviously never been removed for the two previous services. With a mobile you can watch what they do and they are usually fifty or so quid cheaper which is a bonus.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

As long as they are either manufacturer approved or a member of the approved workshop scheme no problem. Unless you buy an Adria.

Mobile guy I use is Bailey approved and can do warranty work.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

We always used the dealers we purchased from until the storage site we use also opened up a dealership & will happily carry out servicing, including any warranty work. For us it's a matter of convenience, I drop the keys off at a weekend & pick them up following weekend, the dealer removes both locks, takes the van out of storage, completes the service & puts the van back with locks refitted.

Brilliant service from Teesside.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

I use a trusted and approved mobile engineer. Mainly for my convenience, plus I'm able to be present when he does the service and so I know that the work is done.

Any questions or problems I may have can be discussed directly with the man who is doing the job, and I don't have to rely on messages being passed on second or third hand via office staff etc. ..
The only down side is if damp is found, then my van has to go back to the supplying dealer for any warranty work to be carried out.
My service engineer is approved to carry out any other warranty work required on Truma or Thetford equipment etc. but can't deal with any damp issues. ..

We've always gone back to the dealerships from which we bought our respective caravans in the past but will definitely NOT be having our van serviced at the Worksop dealership where we had it done for the past couple of years.

My other half was a little suspicious of the work carried out after the first year of ownership so took careful note the second time. Had them repeat the exercise as it was obvious that several things had not been done. Not good enough when they are charging in excess of £200 for a single axle van.

It will be a mobile service engineer who will get the business in future.

I asked a similar question recently due to the lack of flexibility from my dealer on my booing arrangements, I was very reluctant to go mobile but after a fellow CT member posted a link to AWS I found a mobile engineer who was not only cheaper than my dealer he was also very happy to answer all of my questions.

He came today and serviced the van, did an excellent job and as it took him less time than he anticipated he reduced the quoted price!!

I will not be returning to my dealer for service due to their lack of it!

Davros

My answer to your question is simple: I use a trusted mobile guy for servicing and the dealer for warranty work. First time I had my 3 year old swift done by a mobile he had a nightmare getting the one shot nuts off: they'd obviously never been removed for the two previous services. With a mobile you can watch what they do and they are usually fifty or so quid cheaper which is a bonus.

:goodpost: That's what we do. Never taken a van back to a dealer in 15 years

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Some years ago an officer at work took his van in to dealers. On it being returned to him he asked if the interior lights had been tested, he was assured that they had. He went into the van with the workshop manager------- and showed him three non working lights having explained that they were not working when he brought the van in ! Manager held his hands up with the comment- you got us there !

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

It was poor dealership service standards that helped me to decide on a career change and do a job that I now love so much .

Happily that dealer is no longer in buisness and I would say that over 50% of my customers have found me becuss they were not happy with the standard of service or customer care that they received at there supplying dealership .

And what really surprises me is the problems I find on caravans and motorhomes that have been dealer serviced for a few years before they come to me .

Olympic caravan services.
Approved mobile workshop covering wrexham northwales shropshire and west cheshire.

mob 07827738671 land line 01978 710 943

www.olympiccaravanservices.com    enquiries@olympiccaravanservices.com

Only used the Dealership once but had to return my van twice due to shoddy workmanship . .... Strongly recommend a local certificated mobile engineer and strike up a relationship . ..........

GAS . ...... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

In Norfolk, Holbrook Leisure have taken over the Bailey franchise (which includes Bailey trained Alu tec service fitters) from another well known Norfolk dealer.

In my short time in dealing with H. L I have found them honest, reliable and well worth recommending.

They have also taken on most of the staff from a Norwich dealership that has gone into voluntary liquidation recently.

2. 0Lt Ford Mondeo Titanium X 130PS (metric hp) TDCI Auto Estate. .... Freeman 23 Broads Cruiser !

We use our local dealer as they are only a couple of hundred yards from home. Always found the workshop staff to be excellent, probably helps that I taught the workshop manager and some of the fitters!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We have always used the dealer we buy from for the vans first service (usually discounted anyway) and then a good mobile after that.

My caravan has never been back to the dealers for anything including warranty work as I always think it is not in a dealers interest to find a problem in a caravan they sold you .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

It was poor dealership service standards that helped me to decide on a career change and do a job that I now love so much .

Happily that dealer is no longer in buisness and I would say that over 50% of my customers have found me becuss they were not happy with the standard of service or customer care that they received at there supplying dealership .

And what really surprises me is the problems I find on caravans and motorhomes that have been dealer serviced for a few years before they come to me .

That's a very similar experience to me.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

We have used selling dealer in the past for servicing. Main problem is that their own sales vans get priority, and you can find your van delayed. Our van is kept at home - not sufficient room for a mobile engineer to work around.

For our latest van, we have not been back to the dealer (first time with them) because we were not very impressed by the PDI check. We now take our van to a recommended workshop where they only service vans, and do not sell them.

My dealer doesn't service, they don't have the space to have a workshop for servicing. I've tried mobile fitters and they cannibalised my caravan. I have now found an approved workshop close to my storage facility who are brilliant. Drop the van in. There on a Saturday morning, I let them have it as long as they need it but it's usually always ready by mid week. They let me collect it when convenient and run through everything they have done before letting me pay. Warranty work carried out really well also but I'm most impressed that they are an intelligent dealership and look for faults which they have seen on other vantps rather than react to issues caused by the fault not being discovered in he first place. It's almost preventative maintenance!

Caravanless. ...

I should point out that there are plenty of very unreliable mobile service engineers out there as well, most of them don't seem to know what a damp meter is from the vans ive checked over the last year. .....

I should point out that there are plenty of very unreliable mobile service engineers out there as well, most of them don't seem to know what a damp meter is from the vans ive checked over the last year. .....

There are good and bad dealers as well as mobiles. If you use a company that is regulated ie a member of the Approved Workshop scheme. Then if something goes wrong you have a course of action available to take. ......

BUT YOU MUST COMPLAIN IN WRITING IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH ANY WORK CARRIED OUT! If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome them make sure you report in to the Approved Workshop scheme manager.

Have a look at the Approved Workshop website via the link below.

http://www. approvedworkshops. co. uk/approved-touring-caravan-motorhome-servicing

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk