Dealer Found To Be Telling Porkies Re Damp...?

We have recently taken our 2007 van in for p/x against other goods which the dealer was acting as an agent.

We had been up since 4am emptying our van into storage and drove for 2 hours to drop it off. (Because he didnt really seem bothered to travel for it)

Despite the price agreed when viewing the other goods, when dropping it off we were informed that there was 18% damp in the front roofline and at the kitchen window 20% and that the awning rail would have to come off and be resealed and the kitchen window replaced.

With all our worldly goods in the car, given up our season pitch and having driven for two hours we are told that to complete the deal we have to give him £500 for the repairs.

Over a barrel. We paid up. We are trusting of folks. ..

Having told friends that we were giving up the touring. .. one got in touch to ask about our van.

Specifically any issues or damp either in the past or current.

The dealer informed them that categorically that it was a nice clean van with NO damp!!

Someone's not been honest. ..

I'd like to ask any views and opinions and whether I would have a recourse on what I now know?

<p><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';">1995 Mk2 Pajero LWB 2. 8td - <strike>'04 Dart 556/6 - '</strike></span><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';"><strike>02 Sterling Elite Searcher</strike> - '07 Senator Wyoming S5 TA & 1997 ABI Award Northstar</span>

I`ve got a baseball bat with a few nails in the end if thats of use :blink:

presumably he was selling it AFTER he had fixed the issues -- and could give a guarantee?

As a dealer he would have to give a minimum period guarantee.

Although it could be argued that if he HAD repaired the damp issue he should state that. .

Did your mate inspect it??

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

I thought readings up to 20%, especially at this time of year, were normal - obviously I was mislead in the info I was given & have read on fora like this :(

2005 Bessacarr Cameo 635 gl & 2005 Nissan Terrano II SVE Di 3. 0l

1) Don't deal long distance

2) Always get the dealer to come out and check he is happy with your van once deal is done.

3) if you can't do that take yours in before the new one is ready.

Always served me well, but then I've always bought locally. Find the best deal then ask the local guy to match it.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Readings of 20% are acceptable, especially this time of year, You were Conned by a Bad Dealer.

I doubt very much that it has been repaired. ... if there was even any damp there at all!

Dropped off Sun PM. .. found this out today. (Wed)

Might not be 'local' but he's not that far away. ... Looking forward to seeing his face when I show up on Sat with the messages 'of no-damp' in hand!

Can I report such tactics to trading standards?

Small claims?

<p><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';">1995 Mk2 Pajero LWB 2. 8td - <strike>'04 Dart 556/6 - '</strike></span><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';"><strike>02 Sterling Elite Searcher</strike> - '07 Senator Wyoming S5 TA & 1997 ABI Award Northstar</span>

We had this with a well known northern dealer after a to good to be true deal at the nec. we drove 150 miles only to be told our 3year old van(no warranty)was riddled with damp tried to reduce the px price by £2000, thinking we would fall for it we hitched up and drove home went to a local dealer who found a small amount of damp and reduced the px price by £500,this has also happened to friends of ours with the same dealer . beware all dealers have damp meters but some know how manipulate results preying upon our fears about damp.

Tony

Why are people like that?

I took the guy at face value, which I do with most people I come in contact with.

He'd already given the Glass guide book price and I accepted that knowing that for retail he'd whack another few bob on. .. (£3k of bob!!!) but then brazen enough to want another £500 off us? That's whats infuriated me!

A very greedy bar steward. ...

I have always worked from the following table:

Readings between (0-15%): no cause for concern.
Readings between (15-20%): dealer to make a note of these readings and re-check at next service.
Readings between (20-24%): possible early signs of ingress. Look for tangible evidence or ask for a re-check.
Readings between (25-30%): moisture evident, remedial work required; may not need strip-down unless surface damage (staining, pimpling, and softness) is apparent. (There is a risk of wallboard deterioration due to retained moisture in the structure if resealed only.)
Reading (31 % and above): structural damage is occurring, deterioration inevitable. A full strip-down of the affected area is required.
Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

It is an age old trick used by unscrupulous dealers.

A reading of up to 20% or even 25% at this time of year is quite normal, and I bet he didn't allow the van to acclimatise after you had towed it to him?

You have been "had" I am afraid, and there is nothing you can do about it now, except put it down to a bad experience.

It is an age old trick used by unscrupulous dealers.

A reading of up to 20% or even 25% at this time of year is quite normal, and I bet he didn't allow the van to acclimatise after you had towed it to him?

You have been "had" I am afraid, and there is nothing you can do about it now, except put it down to a bad experience.

You're right. I thought I was more experienced/savvy than that. One day, I'll bump into someone in sales that I CAN trust.

I'll still pay him a visit.

Again, 20% perfectly acceptable at this time of year! you've been done.

If the dealer intends to repair the caravan correctly before he sells it then I see no reason for him to mention the repair. The repair will probably (if done correctly) be much better than the origional build.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

At those reading we wouldn't even bother reporting them, nothing to worry about. The other thing we try and do is ask for the part exchange to come in at least a week before for inspection. If we find any damp we will show the customer and if a deal cannot be re-negotiated the deal is called off. It's that simple or at least should be.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

If the dealer intends to repair the caravan correctly before he sells it then I see no reason for him to mention the repair. The repair will probably (if done correctly) be much better than the origional build.

. .. fair comment IF it had damp in the first place?

Might be me. .. but I cant see those repairs been completed, the van washed down and photographed within 48hrs. ..?

I'll find out when I pop back to see it.

At those reading we wouldn't even bother reporting them, nothing to worry about. The other thing we try and do is ask for the part exchange to come in at least a week before for inspection. If we find any damp we will show the customer and if a deal cannot be re-negotiated the deal is called off. It's that simple or at least should be.

My kinda dealer. .. and why we bought our first 'new' van off your Leeds branch in 2004. ;)

When I traded in for my present van I had already decided which of the three dealers within 50 miles I would prefer based on the happiness of their customers and staff around the workshop area. Satisfied customers usually mean happy workshop staff. Less stress.

In the event the dealer of choice was £2,500 cheaper for the part ex and sale (unseen). When I gave the van a click clean inside I noticed some pimples under the vinyl on the wall board at the rear of the van and suspected extensive damp. On inspection (accompanied by me) it was demonstrated 80% damp in much of the rear. After discussion was offered £700 less. Given the situation, and the much cheaper purchase in the first place, I was content. When I collected my new van a week or so later my old van was being taken away, sold into the trade.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Dealer's and bargepoles spring to mind! And yes it's worth a shot at trading standards. Chancer!

Compass Shadow 1988

In my opinion some caravan dealers are a bit like some second hand car salesmen !! buyer be very very aware. .

To be honest I rarly believe any salesman,after all it's sales they want and most will say and do anything they can get away with to make the sale. ..

Having read a similar thread on this forum 12 months ago I was forearmed when we purchased our last new van last year. Over the phone I had agreed a part ex price for my 4 year old van, but warned the dealer's salesman (45 miles away) that our budget was not negotiable and that the deposit was to be refunded should defects be found on the tradein then the deal was off and we'd walk away.

On collection of the new van and post there inspection, they said they found a minor hairline crack (about an inch long and almost invisible) in the front GRP panel and they would have to reduce my trade in by £1200 and although there were no readings to indicate water ingress they would still need to replace the complete panel before they could resell it. I reminded them of my agreement (which was recorded on the deposit receipt ) and said "thanks but no thanks the deals off!" They then came down to £750 and then £500-but I wouldn't budge and they finally said OK to go ahead with the original deal.

I dropped in 2 weeks later, the van was in the sales plot with a price tag in the window- needless to say the front hadn't been repaired. I was going to have it out with them-but then thought not worth it! Obviously wouldn't use this company again or for any warranty work.

Playing devils advocate, but the panel may have been on order. Given the fact that panels in the caravan trade normally take approx 8 weeks to arrive, the dealer may have made the decision to try and find a buyer in the mean time while the parts arrive. We have on occasion sold a used caravan under these circumstances, but always informed the new customer that there is a problem and parts are on order and will be repaired. On saying this I think it has probably happened about half a dozen times in the last 5yrs.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

I would tell him that I will gladly take the time and spend a day in his showroom explaining to all his customers the way he goes about his business, let him know he ain't gonna make a fool of you twice.

2015 ABI ASHCROFT EXCL

Interesting views and experiences.

I think I will spend some time outside his gates. If I cost him a sale I'll be happy.

For those on the fence. ... I'm convinced it didnt have damp, and if it did, it hasnt been fixed.

I'd parted with my savings for another car, due to giving up the touring. Another £500 wasn't easy to find.

This isnt the only thing, the whole arrangement was, with hindsight, riddled with holes and I should have seen it coming.

Pity we cant name and shame. ... :mellow:

There should be a way to handle this situation without the name and shame, for the benefit of other forum members.

I'm thinking along the lines of "As Recommended by Our Members" page, that works a bit like Facebook "like"

You could put a dealership name in there, and allow each member the option to "like" the dealership, or ignore.

The cream would rise to the top, and by default the poor dealers would not be there.

Not a fully fleshed out idea, it could probably be done on Facebook itself. Just a food for thought option.

Regards,

Steve.

BTW Scotsman tried to PM you but I wasn't allowed. PM please.

Edited by SteveMilner

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter