2009 - Was Damp An Issue?

Goingsolo

Have come to the end of the road with my 2013 Elddis Avante 462 after numerous problems. Seen a nice Conqueror 480 and was wondering if there was a problem in this particular year regarding damp or anything else for that matter.

We had a 2009 swift group van, and it was a very well built van. The only serious problem was cracking of the front panel above the front windows. This was found on quite a few as I understand. It can be repaired so not major, just check the thin strip of panel above the windows.

Good luck with it.

Kev

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

Thanks for that Kevin. I have had 2 swift vans plus a motorhome in the past but recent issues with the Elddis have left me very wary. This van looks very good no marks clean and tidy. Owned by a couple around my age I think.

I had a 2009 Charisma: smashing van. On the second service the dealer found damp in the toilet cassette door: new one fitted under warranty.

If you're nervous (and why wouldn't you be?) would it not be worth getting a decent AWS mobile guy to do a pre-purchase for you?

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Why would the Caravan Club offer training in Caravan Servicing when they already are involved with the AWS run by the NCC. A search of the CC web site only comes up with three courses under training. 1. Practical Caravanning, a 10 hour course over one and a half days. 2. Caravan Manoeuvring Course, a one day course for those who have difficulty manoeuvring especially reversing. 3 Motorhome Manoeuvring Course length unspecified.

I imagine that to "Learn" how to service would take several weeks or perhaps months to gain all the certifications, rather than hours

Edited by b4bill

All I know is they organised it and he went down to their establishment for a week. Next time I see him I will ask for more detail. He's just been on another course somewhere near the south coast.

I would very very dubious about buying and Caravan of said manufacturer for the moment, this is my opinion based on the shear volume of customers complaining on their own forum and on here, not only of initial damp, but also second time damp on models that seem to be between 2008 and 2013, not sure about the new models but as with all new designs they are bound to have some teething problems.

Feel free to go to their own forum and see for yourself or speak to your dealer, mine was very open and honest in telling me about the problems, not just the said Manufacturer but others too.

Also Greentree's website seem to be great at giving information and bulletins on their website,

carver

Edited by carver

All I know is they organised it and he went down to their establishment for a week. Next time I see him I will ask for more detail. He's just been on another course somewhere near the south coast.

Cross wires with MCEA perhaps?

^what you have to bare in mind though is the forum is just purely for their own product, so they will get a larger volume of complaints about their own product, but you have to look at it comparatively to the amount of units sold to complaints.

09 products were pretty good with regards to water ingress, the main problem on these were the Thetford locker doors, other than that were weren't many other known issues with water ingress.