Avondale Floor Problem

Britannia

Hi, we are new to this caravan business and would like some advice please. We bought a year 2000 Avondale Rialto. ..mainly just to see if we liked the towing part of it, then update from there.

We have had the caravan damp checked before we purchased and that came back ok, but we have noticed that area where the spare wheel is situated (just inside the door under the floor) has delamination. We have taken the hatch cover for the spare wheel up which is carpeted, and can see that it is slightly bowed. We have looked into what you have to do with this and my partner feels quite capable of doing it himself, infact already bought the resin and dowels. But we wanted to know, as it's carpet on the top, and we don't particularly want to remove this as it's foam backed. ..could he do the drilling from the underneath and fill the holes and would it have the same effect as doing it from the top.

Hopefully someone out there may be able to help.

Thanks.

Hi

I too have an avondale, and i had a delaminated floor, i did mine from above, but i would think you might have problems doing the job from below, as the resin is pretty much like treacle, and will run out from below.

and of course it will be better doing it from the top because it will fill the gaps better.

Are you referring to the hatch cover for the spare wheel? You can only carry out the work

from above satisfactorily.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Yes it's the cover for the spare wheel which is just inside the caravan about 2 foot from the door, it's carpeted just like the rest of the van but has a pull ring to lift it. This is the only part of the van that has delamination, we have taken the cover off and brought it into the house. ..on the other side of the hatch cover it's just a plain board, so we thought we could drill into that instead of taking the carpet off and pour in the resin and then the dowels.

We just don't fancy having to take the carpet off incase we can't get it back on right, that means we then have to shell out for another carpet right through the caravan.

Thanks for the replies.

In that case you could just turn the hatch cover over and work from the underside. I bought an Avondale Rialto three years ago which had just had the floor re-glued before I bought it. The previous owner had the carpet removed, the entire floor refixed, then new carpet fitted. However the replaced carpet was rather thin and already marked in a couple of places around the sink so I removed it and laid vinyl with a centre carpet runner.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Thanks for the reply, I don't suppose it will do any harm giving it a try. If that fails it looks like ripping the carpet up doing the job and then replacing it.

Thank you for the replies. ..hopefully get it sorted over the next few days.

Hi Britannia. Before you go headlong into trying to fill the wheel hatch cover, have a good look at how the spare wheel box is fixed to the underside of the van. I have had several caravans in the past which looked as though they had delam problems when in fact it was the carrier coming away from the floor. Have alook underneath with someone stepping on the hatch from above. If the the hatch has failed you could construct a new one with a couple of pieces of ply and a wooden frame which may be better than injecting resin.

As I understand it, fixing floor delamination problems from above or below is about the the flow of adhesive. From above is better because of gravity and there is less mess. Some adhesives are designed for use from below. However, it doesn't matter in your case because you can take out the cover and turn it over. when it's glued put it on a flat surface and add weights to flatten it on top (or bottom) .

It must be a wear and tear problem with Avondales. My Rialto is the same but I'm doing other areas of the floor as well, so the carpet is to be replaced. Just waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer before I start. (I've been putting it off)

Nice link here for general tips or if you need to do the floor any time.

http://brian-davies. pwp. blueyonder. co. uk/delamination. htm

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

No need to replace the carpet Geemac, unless you really want to. Just carefully cut it away around the edges of the furniture with a stanley knife and when replacing it staple it back to the floor.

No need to replace the carpet Geemac, unless you really want to. Just carefully cut it away around the edges of the furniture with a stanley knife and when replacing it staple it back to the floor.

Thanks Paul, good tip, but the carpet has some damage to it, not to mention wear and tear, so I'm taking the opportunity to replace it. A bit extra care required to cut it and fold it into the wheel well, but I'll enjoy the project. Cheers.

Gordon

• 2 months later...

I too have got an avondale (perle ulysses) with delaminated floor. Got told this when we had it serviced after we bought it.

Trouble is its getting worse. Much worse. Floor now seems to be bending when you walk on it. Wot can we do?

It was only a cheap van so dont want to spend too much.

I too have got an avondale (perle ulysses) with delaminated floor. Got told this when we had it serviced after we bought it.

Trouble is its getting worse. Much worse. Floor now seems to be bending when you walk on it. Wot can we do?

It was only a cheap van so dont want to spend too much.

You won't need to if you DIY, but it can be expensive on labour if you have it done for you. It's a relatively simple but messy job and you need the right materials which can be bought on ebay.

Take a look at this recent thread.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/93629-dreaded-delamination/

Gordon

• 4 weeks later...

If I leave it whats the worst that could happen - apart from floor being a bit springy?

I assume it will spread as the plywood continues to breakaway from the polystyrene across a larger area, and the floor becomes more springy and creaky as it deteriorates. Not sure if the polystyrene would break up and wear down eventually, someone may be able to advise.

I put up with my delamination for a short while, but once it's repaired you wonder why you put up with it. My advice: read up on it (plenty of links), roll your sleeves up and get on with it :) . Good luck.

Gordon

• 2 months later...

so I removed it and laid vinyl with a centre carpet runner.

can i just ask why the centre carpet runner? is it because of the floor hatch or do you mean going into the bedroom? im thinking of putting vinyl down too, funnily enough after ive sorted the de-lamination in my rialto!

You may wish to PM Jaydug for an answer as his post was 7 months ago so he may not see your post.

To do a PM, click on his name to see his profile and then click on "Send me a message".

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

can i just ask why the centre carpet runner?

Simply because I like it to walk on in bare feet.

post-261-0-89578500-1408264145_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com