Hypothetical Question

Halohodge

My van a Swift Challenger Sports 2013 is in storage for the winter, it is not heated at all being in a grassed storage area surround by trees, but not under them.

I have noticed water droplets inside the front overhead locker on the offside and also on the front plastic moulding, also in the locker. I have a damp meter, one with prongs and at a certain spot gives me about 80% reading, very local. I have been to the dealer and he says that it is condensation, apparently he says he has seen it before . They said that when the van goes in for its first service in March it will be checked as apparently they have to acclimatise the van before they take a reading, I am not convinced of their argument, would you get condensation of that nature when a van is at ambient temperature, this droplets are very minor but could there be trouble behind the panelling.

What are your experiences with condensation, have you seen a this sign in your van, am I being neurotic,

Edited by Halohodge

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

My 'van, in my back garden, has not been out since late October but will be this week. ......I noticed how damp everything was a week ago, despite warmish, but wet, weather. .........The window frames did have condensation on them but have had electrics on for a couple of days and all is now as it should be again. ......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Wipe of any damp on the surface, open the windows on the night catches, open a roof vent very slightly, open all the lockers, bed boxes and interior doors in the van, then light the fire and leave to get thoroughly aired through( about 24 hours) . Now do your damp test again, if it still reads 80% you have a problem. However, a reading so high implies that the prongs are embedded in water so the most likely interpretation is that the surface of the wall has condensation on it, which is why you need to thoroughly air the van off and get all the surfaces dry before doing a damp test.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Sounds like damp not condensation, though its been a wet winter its not been cold. condensation needs cold to form.

Shipbroker many thanks, so you had condensation on the metal window surrounds when you had no heating on, did you have any on the plastic trims or walls.

Penman, That's a bit of a contradiction, I thought you had to have two different temperatures to have condensation to form, ie inside and outside, or do I stand corrected.

Edited by Halohodge

Hello Halolodge

Can only talk from my own experience, I have only found condensation inside any caravan we have owned over the last 40 years on the windows or metal window surrounds. This happens when the heating is on and the outside is cold.

Our present van is a 2013 Elddis Affinity 540 which is parked next to our house, it does not feel damp inside and has no condensation anywhere. No heating is on in the van and has not been throughout the winter.

You asked for our experience with condensation and I believe you have damp I hope I am wrong but if I were you get the dealer to check it out.

Regards Penman

The only condensation I've seen in ours is on the inside of the Heki skylight. Certainly no beads of moisture as you describe.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

When the van is not in use, from October through March I keep a 120-watt tubular heater running 24/7. I did this with our previous new vans - for 5 years with the Elddis and 6 years with the Coachman. Both were still in excellent condition, and dry with no musty odour when we parted with them. This theme continued with our latest van; and will again - when it has been rectified under warranty for water ingress!!!

Our van is stored on our drive. We haven't used it for about 6 weeks, which is quite unusual, until last week. Up until last week there was no evidence of damp whether it be condensation or the dreaded damp !

We towed it to Bristol a week ago and as soon as we put the heating on the condensation occurred - inside all the lockers, on all the metal window frames etc. There seemed to be more than normal this time - perhaps because it had been standing for longer than normal, plus all the damp weather.

At first, when we went out for the day I had been leaving the blinds up (privacy blinds) and the netting down so the condensation on the metal frames didn't have anywhere to go. After a couple of days I started leaving all the blinds open and the sky lights open on the night setting - the condensation largely disappeared.

I also found some green mould on the wooden surface of the facia above the bathroom sink. After wiping it with an antibacterial wipe, I started leaving the blinds open and the sky light up in here too. There was no re-occurence. I was a bit worried by this - but I realised that we had the door shut a lot of the time with the hot air heating blowing into the bathroom, the blinds and the sky light shut - a nice warm damp place just right for some mould !

Now it's on the drive - no heating, I've left the sky lights on the night setting - no sign of mould or condensation !

Our caravan was serviced and damp tested last June/July with no sign of damp at all.

Hope this helps !

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

When the van is not in use, from October through March I keep a 120-watt tubular heater running 24/7. I did this with our previous new vans - for 5 years with the Elddis and 6 years with the Coachman. Both were still in excellent condition, and dry with no musty odour when we parted with them. This theme continued with our latest van; and will again - when it has been rectified under warranty for water ingress!!!

Wow, that's cost you 315 pounds in wasted electricity over 6 years, and you still had water ingress!

I never bother with heating mine and like you, never had a problem :-)

you should not have water dripping in a locker/cupboard in a modern caravan, with insulation standards today it should be minimal.

I use a non invasive meter that measure up to 1" deep, perhaps you could borrow one? I would also suggest that you open the locker doors for a while to see if it improves?

Looks like from your comments it might be damp, my conclusion but not the dealer, no surprise there.

What bothers me is what damage is being caused by the moisture, will all this be rectified and what damaged is being caused to the wooden frame, is the timber treated against damp.

Edited by Halohodge

It can quite possibly be condensation.

When the sun comes out it heats through the windows MORE than through the walls. (different U values)

Wherever the sun touches, it will vaporize local moisture and move it . ....to the coldest wall areas.

Its not heat thats needed in a stored caravan, but good air circulation.

Are the doors of the lockers in which you have found condensation open? If not that would be a good thing as its important to keep an even temperature airflow through ALL of the caravan and to avoid any 'cold pockets' such as a closed cupboard, without any air-flow which are ideal conditions for condensation at this time of year.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

The dealer is correct as far as the caravan has to be acclimatised to take accurate readings. Why not run the heating for couple of hours and retest with your damp meter. Also make sure you leave your cupboards open to allow air flow. I once had a Bailey series 6 pageant that had extremely high readings in one cupboard only to notice he stored paper towels/toilet rolls in there. I removed the towels and allowed some time to dry and retested and the readings were normal the tissue was ringing wet but it had just sucked up all the moisture in the caravan. And no leaks or elevated readings in the tested area ever since.

Abbey Aventura 318 (2006)

Vauxhall Vectra sri cdti 150 estate

Thanks for all your advice, a few points to ponder, I do keep all the doors and drawers open and all seating up so there is plenty of air circulation. Running the heating on gas is a possibility, so I might try that to heat the van up but looking at the van there is very little visible condensation, even on the window frames.

The only way you will ever be certain is to thoroughly air the van off whilst at the same time ventillating it. If you have done this and still get the readings then that is the time to ask the dealer to follow it through.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.