Renewing A Passport

Hi, I am travelling to France on 2nd of june for 30 days, but my passport expires on 17 th of july. Will my passport be accepted as valid at the borders? I have had differing advice, from it is o. k in the E. U, to I need to have at least 6 months left on my passport to enter another country. I would normally, just renew to be on the safe side, but I am not sure I will be going abroad again after this trip. I do not want to pay £140+ to renew 2 passports if it is not necassary. Any comments would be welcome

Backaxle.

Don't tell people your problems,80% don,t care and 20% are glad it's you and not them.

( Lunar clubman SB + Kia sorento LX auto.)

Send it in before and and they will add the unused portion to your next 10 years.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

In the EU if your passport is valid (in date) then is is acceptable.

Where proof of identity is required in other countries most have an ID card system which the UK does not.

It has been claimed that an expired passport could be used with additional proof to get back into the UK but it may be more difficult to get out of the UK or into another EU country with one.

Passport validity

For stays of up to 3 months your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. For stays of longer than 3 months, contact the French Embassy for further information about entry requirements.

I got this from https://www. gov. uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Send it in before and and they will add the unused portion to your next 10 years.

geoff

"I do not want to pay £140+ to renew 2 passports if it is not necassary."

From Foreign office

You must hold a valid passport to enter France. For stays of up to three months your passport must be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. However, it is always sensible to have a short period of extra validity on your passport in case of any unforeseen delays to your departure.

Sam :beardy:

In 2006 I had to travel to spain at short notice but my passport had actually expired the previous week, in attempting to renew it in a hurry I was adviced by the passport office in Liverpool that I was okay to travel for up to 6 months on an expired passport (I can't recall whether this was within the EU or just to Spain). I was very dubious but I didn't have any problems.

Please do check for yourself though.

Davros

Edited by Davros18

I would renew it before you go as shipbrokers recommends too, then you know your covered.

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Thanks for the quick replies. It seems that I will be ok. then,as I will be returning 14 days before the passports expire. I hope nothing holds me up in France for that length of time.

If I change my mind and decide to go abroad (EU) again in the future would I have problems getting a new passport and would it incur a higher cost?

Backaxle

Don't tell people your problems,80% don,t care and 20% are glad it's you and not them.

( Lunar clubman SB + Kia sorento LX auto.)

Thanks for the quick replies. It seems that I will be ok. then,as I will be returning 14 days before the passports expire. I hope nothing holds me up in France for that length of time.

If I change my mind and decide to go abroad (EU) again in the future would I have problems getting a new passport and would it incur a higher cost?

Backaxle

Do you mean if you renew an expired passport?

No, there is no difference whether your passport is current or expired when you come to renew. I know because my passport expired in December and we're off to Belgium in February. I applied for a new passport a couple of weeks ago, on a Friday at the Post Office using their checking service. You just send them the old expired one.

My new passport arrived in the post the following Wednesday! Having been advised it can take up to 6 weeks and not to even bother checking progress on line until 3 weeks had passed I was amazed to get it after 3 business day!

Edited by Smarty

But if you were going to Irish Republic,by sea, they would accept an old one or a photo driving license, not that they bother checking anyway. ..flying the airlines want a current one.

geoff

We had a month in Ireland in 2011 and we were not asked for any identification - neither going our nor coming back. Mind you we sailed on the Cairnryan to Larne route and it might be different sailing from English ports.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

British nationals travelling from the UK don’t need a passport to visit Ireland but pets do,not that they check!

knarf

We had a month in Ireland in 2011 and we were not asked for any identification - neither going our nor coming back. Mind you we sailed on the Cairnryan to Larne route and it might be different sailing from English ports.

Family that are Irish Nationals,without passports, always come through the North to here. .......even though they are just outside Dun Laoghaire!

geoff

Backaxle

Just make sure you keep the eired passports as it makes the renewal a smoother process when you decide to renew.

Just a thought - lots of banks etc want your passport as proof of ID and they won't accept an expired one, so you may decide you want to renew it anyway.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I went to Portugal for a long weekend under exactly the same circumstances as you & was grilled for 10 minutes by an over zealous jobsworth on the immigration desk at Lisbon airport . Its no use arguing either, you have to ingratiate yourself to them or they can turn you away at your expense.

Far easier to follow Shipbrokers advice & renew early, you get the outstanding time credited to your new passport.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.