Upgrading A 2011 Lunar

Durbanite

We have contacted Lunar and they have informed us that the 2011 Lunar Delta TI can be upgraded to 1995kgs for a cost of £50. All that we get for the £50 is a plate stating that the MTPLM has changed to 1995kgs.

At present the MTPLM is 1800kgs which gives us a payload of 225kg and we are finding it difficult to keep within that payload and normally exceed it by about 50kg. A payload of 420kg gives us a good margin, but very unlikely we would need to get anywhere near that figure as the last time on a weigh bridge with loads of unnecessary stuff in the caravan it came to 1900kg.

After removing quite a number of "just in case" articles we were able to reduce it to about 1800kg but over time the clutter moves back in and you have to start the remove exercise again! :D

ive just had a message from our dealer that lunar says our 2011 Delta Ti can go from

1735Kg to 1795Kg for £50

id much prefer going to 1900Kg - how come they are different :unsure:

Hi i have just herd from Lunar we also have a 2011 Delta TI and i have been quoted the same17935kg and told i have got to doit thru the dealer

I've got the 2012 Lunar brochure in front of me (unfortunately not the 2011) and it says the 2012 Ti has an MTPLM of 1695kg. I suppose it's possible that the 2012 can be upgraded to 1795kg as it probably has an 1800kg axle/chassis.

Maybe one of the 2011's mentioned above is a 2010MY spec. van sold to its first buyer in 2011, which would account for the two different starting points.

Generally Lunar seem to fit axles that will take up to the next 100kg point.

Convention is that Lunar will only issue upgrade plates via dealers. Sometimes dealers will charge (anything from about £25 to £50) but sometimes they don't charge, especially if it seals a sale.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Apologies. Should have posted sooner. The info I got from Lunar that the upgrade to 1900kg was possible. I then contacted the dealer and made the request. The dealer then contacted us later stating that Lunar had made a mistake and the maximum MTPLM was 1795kg. Shortly afterwards Lunar contacted me and informed me that the maximum was 1795kg.

I pointed out that they had supplied an MTPLM plate showing the MTPLM as 1800kg when we purchased the caravan in 2011 and not 1795kg! Seems that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. A bit scary that Lunar should supply such inaccurate information.

The strange thing about the whole episode is that the MTPLM plate on a caravan is not a regulated mandatory plate and has no standing in law. It also dawned on me that when towing 100kg is transferred to the towing vehicle via the nose weight so we would be well within the law. :rolleyes:

It also dawned on me that when towing 100kg is transferred to the towing vehicle via the nose weight so we would be well within the law. :rolleyes:

This point is controversial with some agreeing with your suggestion and others saying the MTPLM limit is the limit for the van on its own and that any noseweight shouldn't be subtracted just to attempt to squeeze inside a limit. Their argument is that whilst the car may be taking the weight at the end of the towbar, the caravan chassis is taking the whole weight, but the axle load is reduced by the noseweight.

This point is controversial with some agreeing with your suggestion and others saying the MTPLM limit is the limit for the van on its own and that any noseweight shouldn't be subtracted just to attempt to squeeze inside a limit. Their argument is that whilst the car may be taking the weight at the end of the towbar, the caravan chassis is taking the whole weight, but the axle load is reduced by the noseweight.

And what are the physics of pitching? Not all roads are flat and smooth and you have to wonder just what weight goes on the axles when the 'van "drops" and the hitch lifts!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Yes, I'm sure the chassis makers build in allowances for all sorts of antics but like in most things I try to err on the safe side, cos you never know.

Hi if you looking the in service handbook as i am doing at the moment it states that the MTPLM for the Delta TI is 1695kg albeit it is a 2012 service handbook Which came with the caravan stamped by the dealer so if the plate is not mandatory which do i take notice of has any body looked at the 2011 service handbook

there should be an NCC certificate in the paperwork as I understand it (havnt looked at mine, but I recall seeing it).

my dealer said I would need to have that replaced if I upped the weight limit, so I assume the weights must be on that certificate

Hi thanks will have a look for that

Edited by myone

Hi thanks will have a look for that

Not sure what your issue is?

Lunar have said the MTPLM of a standard 2011 Ti is 1695kg and that is what your existing plate should read.

They've also said that if you apply through your dealer they'll issue a new plate and certificate for a weight up to 1795kg. If mine is anything to go by that'll mean that those Deltas are fitted with an 1800kg axle and Lunar always seem to not issue plates for spot-on the axle limit.

Mine was 1235kg, upgraded to 1295kg with a 1300kg axle.

Not quite right. The MTPLM of the 2011 Lunar is 1735 and the following year this was reduced down to 1695kg. Correct that Lunar will as per NCC guidelines issue a MTPLM plate 5kgs under the maximum axle weight.

I have to admit that with just basic stuff in the caravan, we struggle to stay under 1800kg and we only have a porch awning, 2 lightweight chairs, windbreaks and other normal caravan stuff. In addition we want to fit a solar panel which will weigh about 12kgs so again that eats into your payload. Not sure how folk who do not upgrade the MTPLM manage?

Not quite right. The MTPLM of the 2011 Lunar is 1735 and the following year this was reduced down to 1695kg. Correct that Lunar will as per NCC guidelines issue a MTPLM plate 5kgs under the maximum axle weight.

I have to admit that with just basic stuff in the caravan, we struggle to stay under 1800kg and we only have a porch awning, 2 lightweight chairs, windbreaks and other normal caravan stuff. In addition we want to fit a solar panel which will weigh about 12kgs so again that eats into your payload. Not sure how folk who do not upgrade the MTPLM manage?

If you look on P. 4 of the Owner Handbook it tells you how Lunar calculate the Payload and hence the MTPLM for a given model. Basically you get 50kg whatever than van, plus 10kg for every metre length plus 10kg per berth. awnings, chairs, windbreaks and solar panels aren't on their list of normal equipment, so would have to come out of the berth or length allowances.

Two things occur to me about all this - I am also very concerned about overloading my 2013 Clubman ES. However I believe that size plays a very significant role in the stability of the van.

I tow with a 2010 BMW 5 series tourer with an auto box. The ratio is 86%, which is near as dammit on the limit as recommended by the Caravan Club.

The only difference between the Clubman ES and its predecessor, a 2008 Stellar is susceptibility to cross winds. II would describe it as twitchy if I'm passing a truck and the wind combines with the bow wave of the truck. So in strong winds I tend to trundle along at around 58. Between Carlisle and Glasgow that's 4 whole minutes longer on the journey time.

How do you find your Quasar for stability?

Sorry the query re the Quasar was aimed at SDA, not at Delta Ti owner.

Hi just contacted my dealer no problems doing it its the National Caravan Council Certificate that you need as of proof of upgrade

can cost unto £60 pounds depending on your dealer i was told should take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive

Two things occur to me about all this - I am also very concerned about overloading my 2013 Clubman ES. However I believe that size plays a very significant role in the stability of the van.

I tow with a 2010 BMW 5 series tourer with an auto box. The ratio is 86%, which is near as dammit on the limit as recommended by the Caravan Club.

The only difference between the Clubman ES and its predecessor, a 2008 Stellar is susceptibility to cross winds. II would describe it as twitchy if I'm passing a truck and the wind combines with the bow wave of the truck. So in strong winds I tend to trundle along at around 58. Between Carlisle and Glasgow that's 4 whole minutes longer on the journey time.

How do you find your Quasar for stability?

Sorry the query re the Quasar was aimed at SDA, not at Delta Ti owner.

Well my previous van was an Eriba Troll of approx. the same length, width and weight as the Quasar. Of course it wasn't as tall whilst on the road and probably represents the most stable vans around given its shape and profile.

It was with a bit of trepidation that I picked up the Lunar from Sussex Caravans nr Worthing and drove it home to near Keele. I felt sure I'd notice the effect of the additional height, but all round the M25, M40, M42, M6T and M6 she was solid as a rock, even though in places it was wall to wall big guys.

We then drove back down to East Sussex for a touring holiday along to nr Portsmouth then over to Glastonbury and home. That was followed by two long weekends, one in Buxton and one near Corwen. In all of that I don't recall any periods of strong wind, indeed coming back from Buxton was in thick fog.

I have kept a watchful eye on weight and in order to get the noseweight down to a sensible figure I've abandoned one gas bottle and travel with all the awning in the back of the van, not that the back is far from the middle, in a van that's just 15ft or so long inside. :)

Iankell, your stability problem sounds just like one I had. I have a Lunar Clubman which I towed with a BMW 320 saloon and it was very stable. When I changed cars to a BMW 520 tourer the caravan became quite twitchy in windy weather and overtaking lorries was done with some trepidation. Running the rear tyres at the recommended maximum pressure (44psi I think) helped. I have now changed to a VW Touareg towing the same caravan and the difference in stability is amazing. Passing lorries is now a breeze. I put my stability problems with the 5 series done to it being a Tourer which means it has high glass sides at the back which provides a bigger area for the wind to hit compared to a saloon. Certainly my Lunar Clubman was very stable with the 3 series saloon and is rock steady with the Touareg. I also note that if you buy a 5 series with the factory fit towbar they also do some sort of upgrade to the rear suspension, a retrofit towbar will not have this. I am not sure what impact this has but clearly BMW see a need to do something to the suspension if you are towing. I towed with the 5 series for 4 years and never had a serious incident but in windy conditions keeping around 55 mph was the only option.

VW Touareg R Line 3. 0 towing a 2018 Lunar Clubman SE 

Many thanks for this robhar, I am being driven to consider getting something else to tow the van with. I love the Beemer and don't want to part with it, but going by your experience I suspect to be the guilty party.