Remote Dialing Android App

tictag

This one is more of an Android App that I've found useful. I have my smartphone connected to an external antenna (to boost signal strength) and then I use the portable hotspot feature to create a wifi network my laptop and other devices can connect to. The same thing as a mifi device, just free.

But that usually means my phone is stuck in a cupboard and I can't easily use it to make calls.

Well if you've go a bluetooth headset you can use Just Remote Phone Call (http://www. justremotephone. com/) to make calls from your laptop remotely. It even downloads all your contacts and you can send/view SMS messages too.

The only downside is that for some technical reason you can't send keypresses during a call, which makes navigating voice menu systems a little tricky.

Still, means I get a super strong signal and can still use the phone whilst it's stuck in a cupboard on charge.

Perhaps I'm missing something here. ...your laptop is connected to your mobile using the wifi hotspot feature, ok I get that bit. Then you have a Bluetooth headset witch you need an App to make a phone call with. ....why cant you just connect the headset to the mobile by Bluetooth, all the ones I have used allow voice commands to navigate the mobile to make calls. ...I don't see the point of the App. ..??

I wish I could get an external antenna for my iphone. ..I have unlimited data including tethered data. ..so would be a real bonus if I could get a better signal in the van

Perhaps I'm missing something here. ...your laptop is connected to your mobile using the wifi hotspot feature, ok I get that bit. Then you have a Bluetooth headset witch you need an App to make a phone call with. ....why cant you just connect the headset to the mobile by Bluetooth, all the ones I have used allow voice commands to navigate the mobile to make calls. ...I don't see the point of the App. ..??

The headset is connected to the phone. The laptop simply tells the phone what to dial and the phone connects the call via the headset. You're right, I could use voice commands, i just prefer to browse my phonebook, send/view SMS, and dial quickly using my laptop - all with the phone in a cupboard. That's the point of the app.

I wish I could get an external antenna for my iphone. ..I have unlimited data including tethered data. ..so would be a real bonus if I could get a better signal in the van

You can. They don't connect directly via a connector, more of a jacket that goes over the iPhone, then the jacket connects to an external antenna. If you can't find them, I could review my browsing history because I saw them a few months ago.

The name 'wilson' seems to ring a bell: check out here: http://www. wilsonelectronics. com/store/index/category/43/cradle-boosters

The cradle is used present the iPhone with a stronger signal from the mast. There would be losses compared to a directly connected antenna but I don't think this is possible with the iPhone. Still, the blarb quotes 20 times stronger signal when used in conjunction with the external antenna.

Do be careful about frequencies. USA and EU use different frequencies for mobile communications. Check wikipedia for the correct frequencies for UK - search 3G.