Review: Daisy Bank Caravan Site

Katyoxoo

A very relaxed laid back Site . Open all year. The warmest toilets ever. .(do you wish you had under floor heating in your loo?) Great owner and warden if you need them they are there. Adults only. Easy access good vision left and right.

All pitches have 16amp, tap and grey water drain

Click here to view the UK campsite review

Looked at their site on the internet a few weeks ago, thought it looked good, your review means we will definitely be visiting this year.

Ian

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thinking of booking for next year, (2016). Will do after this review.

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

I spent nearly three weeks there last May/June, on my own except with our male beardie Jack. Mrs SDA stayed at home with our female beardie who was in season. Getting Jack away reduces the risk of baby beardies and lessens the stress all round as poor Jack gets pitiful. Trouble is she's due in season any time now and I don't fancy spending Christmas in the van on my own.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Mod edit: Review edited to show full address so the map appears

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Booked in for May 2016. I hope it lives up to these reviews……………or I'll send Mrs Townie around! Be afraid! Be VERY afraid!

Mike.

I spent nearly three weeks there last May/June, on my own except with our male beardie Jack. Mrs SDA stayed at home with our female beardie who was in season. Getting Jack away reduces the risk of baby beardies and lessens the stress all round as poor Jack gets pitiful. Trouble is she's due in season any time now and I don't fancy spending Christmas in the van on my own.

Did you enjoy three weeks on your own Andy? Bet Jack didn't mind :)

But what was the site like? Hehe :)

We've stayed there a few times before. It's not as pristine as Old Oaks, or as innovative or highly staffed, but it has glorious views and the folk that own and run it are great. Jack and I were v lucky as we hit a patch of superb weather, which only broke on the day we left. Lots of gorgeous walking in the Shropshire Hills.

Could anyone who has stayed there with dogs tell me if there are any decent dog walks directly accessed from the site please?

I've been 'looking' at this site for some time, and although a 'doggy field' is convenient, that alone would not be adequate for our needs. ..
Thanks

Mmmmm not really.

The road outside the site is fairly fast and whilst there is a widish verge there's no real footpath. There are loads of walks in the area, some starting within a few hundred yards in either direction but it might be a tense few hundred yards getting to the start.

A short car ride opens up masses more, often with good car parking available.

Mmmmm not really.

The road outside the site is fairly fast and whilst there is a widish verge there's no real footpath. There are loads of walks in the area, some starting within a few hundred yards in either direction but it might be a tense few hundred yards getting to the start.

A short car ride opens up masses more, often with good car parking available.

Thanks Andy,

Shame really as it looks like 'our kind of site'

Although I appreciate that there are walks in the near vicinity, we really prefer to be able to walk directly off site

( especially first thing in the morning ) as we tend to stay on site for 3 to 4 weeks at a time. ...

There are sites that we have found ( and use ) that offer this facility but we realise that our choice is restricted. .

Don't expect to be able to wash the 'van or car. Even the seasonals aren't allowed this luxury and that's why many of the awnings look like they've seen better days - 'tis in the site rules.

The dog "field" is a strip of land, measuring c. 200m x 10m accessed from both ends, great for a sprint and a lot better than some offerings. If you throw a ball, make sure it goes straight or it's in the adjacent farmer's field lol.

Have been here a few times but on every return the site seems to look just that bit more tired.

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

When I was there with Jack they'd taken on an old boy to tidy up the edges around the hardstandings. He must've been ex-Army, after he's finished one they're perfectly rectangular, with accurate right angled corners and not a blade out of place. Before his attentions the grass was gradually creeping over the hardstanding from the edges. Mind you they haven't a clue about how to prune trees or shrubs and there are some very, very sad ugly looking specimens that've been hacked willy nilly.

Don't expect to be able to wash the 'van or car. Even the seasonals aren't allowed this luxury and that's why many of the awnings look like they've seen better days - 'tis in the site rules.

The dog "field" is a strip of land, measuring c. 200m x 10m accessed from both ends, great for a sprint and a lot better than some offerings. If you throw a ball, make sure it goes straight or it's in the adjacent farmer's field lol.

Have been here a few times but on every return the site seems to look just that bit more tired.

We were there a couple of seasons ago now. On the plus side the area is lovely with lots to do and see, especially walking (we went and found Offa's Dyke for a walk). Also Harry Tuffins (I think it was called) was a shop only about a mile down the road and was an absolute treasure trove.

However I would agree with some of the comments. There were a very large proportion of seasonal pitches, most of whom weren't in attendance, all the grass cuttings were just thrown onto the flower beds and verges, the dog walk wasn't the best, and the main road does mean there are no walks directly off site for dog walkers. I like cycling too and the main road also meant I didn't really cycle straight off site given some of the traffic speeds.

But overall, I'd go back for shorter stays as the area is so nice.

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

I fell in love with Bishop's Castle, just over the hill to the left. Had a lovely lunch in the fantastic garden of the Castle Hotel in beautiful early summer weather. I never got round to trying the pubs and there are five of them and two breweries so that needs addressing next time we visit.

Taking the road out of BC along the ridge opposite the caravan site yields some fabulous South Shropshire and Welsh Marches views, both north and south.

I'd agree the main selling points of the site are the really lovely views and laid back atmosphere. It's a shame there isn't convenient walking direct from the site and the overall air of the place is a little bit tired now. Site WiFi gets unusable pretty quickly but it's probably a limited bandwidth rural connection.

Nearby however there are some beautiful little villages and the walks over or around the Stiperstones from either the Bog car park or the official Stiperstones car park are absolutely outstanding. Views are fantastic and it's easy walking if you avoid the ridge itself which can be a bit of an ankle turner - don't forget to pause and drink in the view. Nice views from the ridge though if you try it and Red Kites often bask on the rocks. Really a must do for visitors to the area - sshhh don't tell anyone!

TS

• 5 months later...

Just returned from a week at this site. Agree with most that has been written already, except, we had absolutely no mobile phone coverage on site, (no worries for me, but Mrs Townie seems to find the need to phone her sister several times a day), and TV reception isn't too good. On the other hand, Harry Tuffins is the nearest shop (about a mile along the road, turn left as you leave the site) and it's just like the Tardis!!! It looks medium sized outside, but when you get inside, it's enormous! They seem to sell everything, so forget supermarkets, all you need is at Tuffins.