+3.5 Ton Outfit In Europe

Hello, my first adventure to the continent is proving to be a lot more expensive than I thought. I have a heavy outfit with goes over 3. 5ton (just). I knew about the Swiss vignette but now checking the weight restrictions it goes up a bit. I will be staying in Switzerland so can't avoid it, but I'm also going to Italy and Austria. Are there any other countries might charge me a like a large vehicle?

Hope the answer is no or guess who will be camping in Scotland this summer. .. :)

Thanks

Nicolas - Discovery 3 towing a Buccaneer Schooner

Kia Sedona 2. 2/Jeep Commander/Renault Grand Espace towing a Bailey Pageant S7 Limousin :P

What exactly is your "outfit"? If it's a "normal" twin axle, you will probably get through Switzerland on the vignette rather than the paper variant of the toll/tax

Italian motorway info here - www. autostrade. it

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Jeep Commander (GVW 2920kg.) + Bailey Pageant Limousin (MTPLM 1589kg.)

Kia Sedona 2. 2/Jeep Commander/Renault Grand Espace towing a Bailey Pageant S7 Limousin :P

Hello, my first adventure to the continent is proving to be a lot more expensive than I thought. I have a heavy outfit with goes over 3. 5ton (just). I knew about the Swiss vignette but now checking the weight restrictions it goes up a bit. I will be staying in Switzerland so can't avoid it, but I'm also going to Italy and Austria. Are there any other countries might charge me a like a large vehicle?

Hope the answer is no or guess who will be camping in Scotland this summer. .. :)

Thanks

I thought the 3. 5 ton limit referred to the gross vehicle weight (of a car, motorhome or van) . ...not the gross TRAIN weight of the vehicle and caravan together.

Same applies with Austrian vignette.

See here. ..

https://www. tolltickets. com/country/swiss/vignette. aspx?lang=en-GB#se

Edited by ericfield

In most of Europe 3. 5 tons relates to gross weight of the towing vehicle.

The one exception I have come across is that Poland take the Maximum Train Weight to calculate tolls.

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

nicoflinta, The 3. 5. tonnes in Austria only applies to Motor Homes or a single vehicle. You only buy one vignette for the car, nothing for Caravan.

Charges in Austria are 8. 58 for 10 days

24. 80 for 2 months

82. 70 for 12 months.

For certain tunnels and passes you pay an extra nominal charge. All money paid to the organization that collects the money, ASFINAG does into Autobahns Tunnels and Passes. You will find Austria has the best, well maintained Autobahns in Europe.

Regularly they Sweep and Pressure Wash all inside the Tunnels and they have warning signs to tell you if in operation well ahead.

Switzerland is a different kettle of fish where you have to pay for one Vignette for the car and one for the caravan making it very expensive. 33 per vehicle

If you go to my website as in link in my signature below you will find all details for each country and and link for European Tolls and Tickets. Any more help needed please contact me will be pleased to help.

Snooks

Edited by snooks

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

I'm in agreement too!

Swiss vignette info here if you want a read

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Thanks Guys for your replies. Switzerland here we GO!