Am I Being Patient Or A Soft Touch

bighair

Hi. We bought our new lunar stellar jan last year and have enjoyed it so far. ....... That was until all the front windows warped so badly you could not lock the windows. The problem being the outer pane is longer than the inner one and they have expanded/ contracted at different rates. All three windows looked like a banana. We took it back to our dealer in October and that's where it's been since. Lunar would not replace until they had found a solution. They have now contacted us to say they have a solution and this will be with the dealer soon. That was the end of December. In the meantime I'm without the use of my van and still paying for it. I'm sure someone has experienced a similar thing with this 1970s industry.

I'm not saying I would have defiantly gone away over the last couple of months but that's not really the point. Also I've not had to pay storage but really it's not good service is it?

Lunar Stellar and Mercedes C Class estate 220 Sport

Hmmmmm. I hear you.

Definitely patient, but if there is no long lasting repair and on had to be designed, then not a soft touch.

If its a McBull excuse (someone more knowledgeable about caravan windows) then yes, a soft touch.

Id be looking into claiming some money as you have been deprived of enjoying your product (not built to a reasonable standard?), loss of experiences and depreciation either way.

Our industry needs shaking up.

I would kick butt like you have never seen, I would be onto the dealer, the manufacturer and also the finance company, if that is the way it was purchased.

Scream, shout, stand outside of the premises with banner, anything but being inactive which it seems you are now.

. ............after all you are not the only one with the problem. ..pity you don't know all the others (some on the Forum ) to create a Pressure Group?........

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi. We bought our new lunar stellar jan last year and have enjoyed it so far. ....... That was until all the front windows warped so badly you could not lock the windows. The problem being the outer pane is longer than the inner one and they have expanded/ contracted at different rates. All three windows looked like a banana. We took it back to our dealer in October and that's where it's been since. Lunar would not replace until they had found a solution. They have now contacted us to say they have a solution and this will be with the dealer soon. That was the end of December. In the meantime I'm without the use of my van and still paying for it. I'm sure someone has experienced a similar thing with this 1970s industry.

I'm not saying I would have defiantly gone away over the last couple of months but that's not really the point. Also I've not had to pay storage but really it's not good service is it?

Go to the Lunar forum part on this forum and there are a number of posts about the problem with a reply from Lunar.

If its on finance speak to the finance company for advice.

mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

Patience, I think, is something where we all can consider when we have been reasonable enough to get really angry.

Our 2012 caravan, now having to go back due to water ingress, also suffered another major fault which I had to rectify urgently, temporarily as we were abroad, then put the matter right on coming back home.

Keeping my complaints firm but polite, I have written a comprehensive report to the head of the company, explaining the reasons why I am dissatisfied with the van, along with my observations as to why owners in general are being treated disrespectfully.

I may get a reply to my report, or I may not. If it is ignored, then this will be a deafening indication of just how dismissive manufacturers are with regard to how they treat their customers.

One thing that we should not overlook are the high costs of warranty claims for rework of faulty vans. These factors are taken into consideration when the sale prices of new vans are determined, so customers, apart from poor attention to complaints, are also paying for these costs - even where their own vans are (if they are lucky) trouble-free.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

I took delivery of a new swift van in January last year and after a couple of months use the kitchen drawers dropped off their runners, then during the heat of the summer the roof expanded slightly leaving a small gap at the top of the kitchen units. There were a few other minor niggles also.

In October my dealer told me that they would get fixed at some point, rather no hurriedly and a "not too bothered attitude" so I started proceedings to reject the caravan.

by the end of October and after writing less than half a dozen letters I received a full refund, consequential loss for loss of use along with compensation for items that I had purchased specifically for that van.

Instead of putting up with rubbish caravans make a stand and look up your rights under the sales of goods act! don't put up with shoddy goods!

Shazjag, Hubby, 2 Kids, Swift Challenger 590SE 2014,

Mercedes Ml 280cdi SE Bristol

I took delivery of a new swift van in January last year and after a couple of months use the kitchen drawers dropped off their runners, then during the heat of the summer the roof expanded slightly leaving a small gap at the top of the kitchen units. There were a few other minor niggles also.

In October my dealer told me that they would get fixed at some point, rather no hurriedly and a "not too bothered attitude" so I started proceedings to reject the caravan.

by the end of October and after writing less than half a dozen letters I received a full refund, consequential loss for loss of use along with compensation for items that I had purchased specifically for that van.

Instead of putting up with rubbish caravans make a stand and look up your rights under the sales of goods act! don't put up with shoddy goods!

Well done and an example to all who run into similar attitudes from dealers.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

To the OP - contact Lunar and tell them you're thinking of selling your 'van (although you're not) but can't because of the windows issue.

Worked for us and yes we truly were trying to sell up. You need to email Phillip Ward and in our case, the proverbial hit the fan and within three days of Phil's intervention, our 'van was back at the factory in Preston and returned three days later.

Yes, have a look in the Lunar section on here, many threads on these warped windows.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Hi

is there any reason for it being at your dealers? My windows stopped fastening and I reported this to my dealer, they said provided no water was entering the van, to continue to use it till windows were changed, because of the overlap on the size of window it would have to rain in a very strange direction to gain entry.

I am still waiting for my replacement windows from October, plus other parts we think missed off, the van was made as a display van then they changed the specs but never upgraded ones made before.

Terry

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

We had the 'Lunar Letter' before Christmas and I got home today to find a message on the answer phone asking me to contact the dealers so hopefully that's a sign that the windows are being delivered and the work is starting. In our case the windows don't appear to be warped but they fade from very dark top right to a much lighter grey bottom left. Most noticeable on the larger middle window but they all seem to have an amount of fading.

Also need replacement front drawer unit as the timber side was split, the front gas locker is a bit twisted and shows a gap on one side and a few other little niggles some of which I guess are to be expected from an ex-demo van. It was however sold as a new van with the warranty starting from the date of sale - however it will soon be six months and time for us to consider our options about what to do next if it's not all resolved to our satisfaction.

Hi

is there any reason for it being at your dealers? My windows stopped fastening and I reported this to my dealer, they said provided no water was entering the van, to continue to use it till windows were changed, because of the overlap on the size of window it would have to rain in a very strange direction to gain entry.

I am still waiting for my replacement windows from October, plus other parts we think missed off, the van was made as a display van then they changed the specs but never upgraded ones made before.

Terry

Well not to confuse the issue, we had another window replaced with a hairline crack and a couple of lights that were faulty replaced. Whilst waiting for the broken side window the front ones started to warp badly, so much so that the windows were very hard to shut. Pictures taken and sent to dealer. Took van to dealer who fixed faults except for front windows. As usual it's a good trip from our house to dealer so I told them I didn't want the van back until it was all fixed. It can't really be used until windows can be locked. That's where we are now.

Found a pic of the windowspost-998-0-46470800-1390941262_thumb.jpg

Hi

Terry

​Terry ,-- its a different kettle of fish if you are towing in the rain !

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

​Terry ,-- its a different kettle of fish if you are towing in the rain !

david

Yes that could make it more difficult, but they use facecloths on bailey vans so why not on a lunar.

Terry.

I have had the warped windows on my Lunar but have carried on using it with no problems. The next windows are due at the dealer in the middle of February and they will arrange for them to be fitted. I am happy to wait until then as it has not stopped me using my van.

If the front windows are warped and not sealing, then water can be forced into the van when towing in heavy rain.

Hi even with a front cover or as I call them facecloth, surely the cover should stop water ingress

Terry

We had the 'Lunar Letter' before Christmas and I got home today to find a message on the answer phone asking me to contact the dealers so hopefully that's a sign that the windows are being delivered and the work is starting. In our case the windows don't appear to be warped but they fade from very dark top right to a much lighter grey bottom left. Most noticeable on the larger middle window but they all seem to have an amount of fading.

Also need replacement front drawer unit as the timber side was split, the front gas locker is a bit twisted and shows a gap on one side and a few other little niggles some of which I guess are to be expected from an ex-demo van. It was however sold as a new van with the warranty starting from the date of sale - however it will soon be six months and time for us to consider our options about what to do next if it's not all resolved to our satisfaction.

Spoken to dealer - they have had a full delivery of windows for all their customers and are checking them before booking vans in for replacement. They have already found one window that may have been damaged in transit (other makes of van are available :D ) and once they have established that all's OK, we will be called to deliver van for replacement. Also confirmed that drawers and front locker are being done at the same time - probably mid March.

Good result as it also means we can go away at half term - to test the Alde heating :rolleyes:

Mike

Hi, terry876, yes I would imagine that a front cover whilst towing would stop water ingress. I recently saw one at a campsite where we did an overnight stop. It was a well fitted front cover (can't remember the make), and even had a zipped panel fro access to the front locker. It was on a Lunar, and obviously bespoke tailored for that van.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't pay all that money for a van to have to use a front cover or am I missing the point?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so the vans now back. The windows have been done and all looks good.

I asked the dealer to charge the battery for me so I could get it on the drive. Flat. Ahhhh

Then in the light the next morning I realised the van was filthy. Not happy.

Then I looked around the sides of the van and we had a problem with a front side marker light. They had removed the side one I suppose to test and not put it back.

Called dealer. Spoke to after sales. Then through to directors PA. Now waiting for a call from him.

Still waiting

and waiting

and waiting