Can't Live Offline... Mobile Data?

Guys, going to France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Germany soon and was wondering if you know a nice international data provider. I don't want to be swapping sim cards and roaming charges could be quite steep.

Anyone can recommend a mobile data provider? (I know you can get nice wifi on site but need for when on the road)

Thanks

Nicolas - Discovery 3 towing a Buccaneer Schooner

Kia Sedona 2. 2/Jeep Commander/Renault Grand Espace towing a Bailey Pageant S7 Limousin :P

As you don't actually need it when "on" the road, there's always McDonalds!!

I've met a lot of Americans who use OneSimcard (http://www. onesimcard. com/international-sim-card/) but I have no idea whether that is available to British people (ie people who don't have dollar bank accounts).

I also know of someone who was looking into Traveltalk (http://www. traveltalksim. com/auracall/home), but they haven't gone away yet so I can't comment on whether they found it any good or not.

If you have WiFi via McDonalds or other similar establishments, or the camp site, I suppose Skype would be an option if the people you are calling also have Skype (not video calls, necessarily, just phone calls). I was in a Youth Hostel in Paris late last year and everyone was sitting in the WiFi lounge skyping away, whilst I was on my mobile trying to remind my husband of how to log into Skype on the computer so I wouldn't have to pay to talk to him (for some reason he won't download it to his phone :angry: )

As you can tell, I just make use of whatever free WiFi is available and if necessary, keep in touch via e-mail or Skype/Facebook messaging.

Edited by alison01326

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Thanks for the advise. I do need it on the road as I get travel and poi updates on my phone hence the need to have it on all the time. WiFi is not a problem as stopping at McDonald's is amust when you have a 4 and 8 years old boys :)

Meant travel updates (traffic)

Kia Sedona 2. 2/Jeep Commander/Renault Grand Espace towing a Bailey Pageant S7 Limousin :P

Might be worth looking at what your Network has to offer as roaming rates are due to fall yet again by the middle of the summer, supposedly to reflect what you get in the UK. Three Network allow you to use your UK allowance in Austria and Italy I understand at no extra cost.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I've never really thought about travel/traffic updates abroad. I don't know anything about the technology behind them either. Do they do what we do here?

Have to admit I rely on radio here if the weather is bad, otherwise I take my chances.

Might be worth putting up a second thread specifically about how best to stay up to date abroad as I suspect many on here save their data use for the campsite and may not respond

Edited by alison01326

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

I'm not aware of any 'go anywhere in Europe' sim cards (that's not to say they don't exist! Only that I'm not well travelled ;)) I doubt you'll find a cheaper option that buying a payg sim for the country you're in. No reason why you can't do this now and be prepared.

I understand the roaming data tariffs are being looked at but as far as I know, roaming data is right now prohibitively expensive (voice is reasonable, so I understand).

I'm sure they'll be a more knowledgeable response coming up shortly.

Hi there, it is possible to buy a so called European data sim but your choice will depend on anticipated usage.

You'll need your device to be unlocked to accept the card. Europasim do a card, they charge around £35. 00 for the sim and for about £2. 50 per day you get 500mb data. If you don't use it on a day you don't get charged (00. 00 to 23. 59).

The down side is that if you only use 10mb per day you'll still pay £2. 50, so for 14 day holiday it's about £70. 00 if you use it every day including the card purchase.

3Network charge uk rates in both Austria and Italy on pay as you go and monthly contracts, 10p per Mb but 48. 5p in France and Germany, if you are only going to check the odd email then this would be a reasonable choice. With open wifi at services, cafes etc you could get by without too much expense.

I'm on a monthly contract with vodafone and have a decent data allowance, when I'm in europe I pay an extra £3. 00 per day and get my calls texts and data out of my monthly allowance without extra cost, apart from the £3. 00 per day. If you don't want the service you can opt in and out by dialing 5555 while on holiday.

There is so much choice and most options have been discussed on this forum but to repeat myself your anticipated usage will dictate.

I am with Virgin, their data terms are detailed below, seem reasonable to me. I will be purchasing a pass later in the year.

Accessing mobile web, mobile broadband & BlackBerry outside the European Union:

£5 per MB

From within the European Union, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Switzerland:

10MB Travel Pass = £3

25MB Travel Pass = £5

100MB Travel Pass £10

250MB Travel Pass £20

Text 'BUY 10MB' to 23456

Text 'BUY 25MB' to 23456

Text 'BUY 100MB' to 23456

Text 'BUY 250MB' to 23456

EU Data Travel Passes last for 3 months

EU law requires us to limit your data usage to a value of 50 and not allow you to transmit or receive more data when that limit is reached unless you proactively elect to do so. If you purchase EU data passes, your data usage will not be limited to 50 but will be limited to the value of data purchased.

For more information on using mobile web abroad, click here.

Got an iPhone or iPad? Click here for information about surfing the web abroad.

Hope this helps, looks dear on the face of it but the allowance lasts for 3 months so no waste. Also no sim card changing or messing between countries.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

It's good that they're limiting access after the allowance is reached - 250MB wouldn't last very long and they usually then charge you a zillion points per microbyte after that (I kinda made those words up).

I think the value limit is in place across all networks unless you pro-actively opt out. A year or two a go there were all those horror stories about people returning home from holidays with a bill of a thousand pounds because they had forgotten to turn off data roaming!!! I am also with Virgin and found the Travel Passes very good when I could not get WiFi. They text you when you are about to run out.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

The OP said he wants to use his phone to pick up travel/traffic updates whilst driving. I would imagine that that would require unlimited data as one might have at home. I can't image that's a cheap option abroad?

The OP said he wants to use his phone to pick up travel/traffic updates whilst driving. I would imagine that that would require unlimited data as one might have at home. I can't image that's a cheap option abroad?

I think sat navs just go on line at pre determined intervals, eg every 10 mins. Also the info they download isn't data heavy. But I have to admit that in real terms I would not know what would be needed.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

This, from the TomTom website might be a guide to data use http://web. archive. org/web/20080305082644/http://www. tomtom. com/support/index. php?FID=1576&Lid=1

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

This, from the TomTom website might be a guide to data use http://web. archive. org/web/20080305082644/http://www. tomtom. com/support/index. php?FID=1576&Lid=1

David

That doesn't look too bad, but I suppose it could add up depending on how many hours one spends on the road. Looks like the OP will be covering a lot of miles, though.

. Three Network allow you to use your UK allowance in Austria and Italy I understand at no extra cost.

David

Only back to the UK for phone and text. Using data abroad incurs roaming rates. At least that how I read it. ..when I eventually found it on the Three site.

Guys, going to France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Germany soon and was wondering if you know a nice international data provider. I don't want to be swapping sim cards and roaming charges could be quite steep.

For Austria and Italy a UK Three SIM card would be fine since Three brought out their 'Feel Like Home' roaming tariff. That means you can use any Three contract or PAYG device, either in a phone or a mobile broadband device for the same price as you are charged in the UK.

http://www. three. co. uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

"Feel At Home is available to all Three customers - Pay Monthly, Pay As You Go, Mobile Broadband and Business customers. As a Three customer, you can use your UK plan allowance or Add-on allowance, just as if you were at home, to call and text the UK and get online."

Lots of options here for Three: http://www. amazon. co. uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Three+3GB&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AThree+3GB

If you want to see what your provider might offer, check out the roaming comparison chart here:

Only back to the UK for phone and text. Using data abroad incurs roaming rates. At least that how I read it. ..when I eventually found it on the Three site.

It does include data - see the link above. I agree however, the Three website is a bit confusing! :)

I'm not aware of any 'go anywhere in Europe' sim cards (that's not to say they don't exist! Only that I'm not well travelled ;))

EuropaSIM will work in any country in Europe for a charge of €3 per day (about £2. 50 currently) for 'Unlimited' data. That in reality is 500Mb at full speed after which your speed is reduced to browsing only until after midnight (central European time) where the speed and data counter is reset. It is totally Pay As You Go (so no risk of racking up a huge bill).

Motorhome WiFi (our business) are the UK agent for this product http://www. motorhomewifi. com/catalog/3g/

Thanks for the advise. I do need it on the road as I get travel and poi updates on my phone hence the need to have it on all the time. WiFi is not a problem as stopping at McDonald's is amust when you have a 4 and 8 years old boys :)

A possible option to consider for the traffic updates would be a TomTom Live! edition. They have a data SIM included and can access Google (for Google Local search via Google Maps), traffic and weather in you present location, enroute and end destination.

http://www. tomtom. com/en_gb/services/live/

We did a year on the road using the now mothballed Vodafone Data Traveller service which offered 25Mb/day. Over the course of almost a years daily usage we only exceeded 25Mb on two occasions thanks to using the Opera Mini web browser which compresses your data usage by upto 90%. However apps are so dependant on data now managing this can seem an impossible task.

All the best,

Adam

Edited by Addie

TBH in most of continental Europe, you don't need traffic updates. The sort of snarl-ups we get here are very rare. And do you really need real-time POI updates? Most places don't change their location that often.

I would have thought, given what you say, that wifi once a day would give you what you need.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

I do hope traffic is not as bad as here and traffic 'data' is not a lot :)

When I said POIs is not just their locations but nowadays you have many apps that can get you the latest information on things to do, dicounts, etc. I found many times in a place and you don't know what to do or where to go. I understand some things can be planned in advance using wifi. ..

My 'requirements' are a bit more than checking emails :P but from all your suggestions don't think is that cheap. Still need to check with Orange but if its too expensive I will have to use wifi only. ..

Most towns have tourist information centres (as they do here) and there are usually leaflet racks in the motorway services too. Lo-tech is often cheaper than hi-tech!!!

In terms of visitor information, whilst it may be quicker and easier to find something on the internet, you'll probably get an English speaker at a TIC as well as leaflets (with maps on the back) for places to go that you hadn't thought of because a search is only as good as the search term, ie if you don't know what you're looking for you won't find it. Most of the campsites also have good visitor information and many put together a folder of local information which is at the reception. We seem to be slowly catching on to that here in Britain, too.

My son, who is 8, likes to bring his leaflet collection home as a souvenir of his holiday!!!

Obviously, that doesn't help with the traffic!!!

Edited by alison01326

Hahaha my 2 boys have tons of leaflets they've been collecting for years. .. and each one MUST have their own, so everything is x2.

And so far, my Philip's map will be my true companion and 'wifey' will guide me. ..

Edited by nicoflinta

Anyone can recommend a mobile data provider? (I know you can get nice wifi on site but need for when on the road)

Thanks

Speak to motorhomewifi, this is exactly what they do

http://www. motorhomewifi. com/

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I'm a fan of THREE - very rare I am somewhere where I cannot get a connection, plus the added advantage of free usage (same price as your UK tariff) in Italy, Austria etc

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.