Ld Lines Poole To Gijon

Has anyone used this ferry service yet? I was speaking to someone the other day who had just come over from England to Spain and he said loading was a bit of an issue some but not all freight and car & caravans either had to reverse on or on arrival had to reverse off, that is not a great issue for me as I am a very experienced driver but the man I was talking too told me it took one man ages to back on and when he spoke with him he found out the man had only owned the caravan for three day prior to getting the ferry.

<p>BMW X5 

All I know at the moment is the ferry is licensed to take dogs.

The service only started from here on,or about, 5th January 2014 so would think that anyone here is unlikely to have been there and back yet. ..

If you have a look at the thread that I started at the time it may give you some help??

cheers

geoff

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/90159-new-service-uk-spain-from-january/

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

All I know at the moment is the ferry is licensed to take dogs.

But have to stay in the vehicle for the duration

Regarding pets we do not have any but on their website it states that at present they cannot take pets but are looking into it for the future, had they allowed pets I know a couple of people on our site would have used the ferry for their return leg to England

<p>BMW X5 

I'm told that they only load and unload at the stern - not a drive through ship letting you out the other end.

On another forum it said that trucks load first (reversing in ), but that there is room for caravans to drive in forwards and do a U turn inside. Perhaps the questioner met someone who was one of the last ones to be loaded when there wasn't room to turn inside?

Who's been on that ship? Please tell us.

Who's been on that ship? Please tell us

Think that may take some time as it's only been running for three weeks on this service, perhaps someone has been on it it it's three previous re-incarnations?

Stena Ausonia and is registered in Italy. ...still owned by them,but chartered to LD /DFDS and has sailed as Borja and Baltic Amber on Spanish & Baltic work.

geoff

But is it a twin sister ship of the one LD lines use on Portsmouth - Le Havre? There must be lots of experience of that one.

True. .....lets see if anyone reads this then?

geoff

It seems a bit time consuming reversing trucks onto a ferry even with experienced truck drivers. I have seen trailers with containers manouvered on to ferries using those tractor units they use on the docks with the fore & aft towbars & the 180 degree seats, they are then removed at the far end & are reconnected to foreign trucks & licence plates.

Its like watching a well rehearsed ballet & i've spent many a happy hour leaning on the boat rails watching these experts at work.

I don't mind reversing with my van but I wouldn't be happy doing it up or down a narrow ramp onto a ferry thanks.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

But is it a twin sister ship of the one LD lines use on Portsmouth - Le Havre? There must be lots of experience of that one.

She is not a sister ship of Norman Voyager,totally different build and past owners. .

Geoff

ark_forwarder_1998_tn2.JPG

Not a pretty ship, if this is the one Geoff. Launched 1997 as Stena Ausonia

http://faktaomfartyg. se/stena_ausonia_1998. htm

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Morning Geoff and John. Now I am confused !

The LD ferry from Poole to Gijon is listed on their website as Norman Asturias (formerly named Baltic Amber). It really does seem to be a twin of the Norman Voyager (both mass produced by the Visentini company) which has been running from Portsmouth to Le Havre for some time, and presumably loads caravans in the same way.

They are nothing like the ship in the photograph called Stena Ausonia.

Edited by moorgate

norman-asturias-542cd18077fb1148a2659e35

This is the ship as shown on their website, I have been following the movements of this service since it started and there has been a lot of canceled and re routed sailings, I know the bay of Biscay can be rough on Brittney Ferries but they do seem to get to their destinations,maybe this small ship is toiling the hope is that if LD Lines see the demand the will source a larger ship

<p>BMW X5 

Former names Norman Voyager (2011-2013) - LD Lines

Norman Voyager (2009-2011) - Celtic Link Ferries

Norman Voyager (2008-2009) - LD Lines Former owners - Sister ships Norman Atlantic, Scottish Viking, Stena Flavia

Geoff

Think that may take some time as it's only been running for three weeks on this service,

Before going on the Gijon-Poole service, the Norman Asturias was doing the Santander-Poole run twice a week. Now it only does the one journey to Santander and instead does the second one to Gijon. I've just been talking to a friend here in Spain who travelled home on it before Christmas. From the numerous questions I put to him I can tell you that loading and unloading is done from the same end. HGV are loaded first; they drive on then do a U turn on board. After the HGVs, towed caravans drive on and likewise do a U turn. Lastly the cars are loaded. He went on to tell me that there is no entertainment on board and that pets are not allowed to be carried.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

#2. ......says licensed for dogs.

As an aside, perhaps you may enjoy this as the end of a ferry. ........no way connected but interesting.

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=QYltdonj2iE#t=120

geoff

norman-asturias-542cd18077fb1148a2659e35

This is the ship as shown on their website, I have been following the movements of this service since it started and there has been a lot of canceled and re routed sailings, I know the bay of Biscay can be rough on Brittney Ferries but they do seem to get to their destinations,maybe this small ship is toiling the hope is that if LD Lines see the demand the will source a larger ship

That looks better. I would have been a bit worried doing Bay of Biscay on the one I found. :ph34r:

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

as we are booked on this ferry in March, sent LDLines an email about reversing etc - this is their response :-

"I can confirm that you do not need to reverse your vehicle on/off the ferry. Passengers will need to drive around a loop in the centre of the ferry and drive off. "

Simples !!! everyone relax now.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

as we are booked on this ferry in March, sent LDLines an email about reversing etc - this is their response :-

"I can confirm that you do not need to reverse your vehicle on/off the ferry. Passengers will need to drive around a loop in the centre of the ferry and drive off. "

Simples !!! everyone relax now.

Excellent, just like most ferries then. .especially some of the older Brittany ones and the Irish Sea HST today.

Well asked.

geoff

Excellent, just like most ferries then. .especially some of the older Brittany ones and the Irish Sea HST today.

Well asked.

Geoff

Ditto :)

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Perhaps I should pop over to the port and take a picture.

poolebob

Bob. .do that. ..see if any free passages going then before you return to your Sandbanks estate!

cheers

geoff

Bob. .do that. ..see if any free passages going then before you return to your Sandbanks estate!

cheers

geoff

If I could afford to live at Sandbanks I wouldnt need to worry about free passages.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

If I could afford to live at Sandbanks I wouldnt need to worry about free passages.

poolebob

I was thinking about us Bob!........those on Sandbanks probably get them anyway!

geoff