Medium Sized Estate Car Tower?

FisherB

Anyone use a medium sized estate/MPV to tow a 1255kg caravan? Our current car, bought for a bigger caravan, is much too big for general use (so my wife tells me) but medium sized anything seems to be either underweight or too close for comfort. Help!

What do you currently tow with to give some guidance?

Weight wise something around 1500kg kerbweight seems to fit the bill for the caravan and there will be a huge number of cars in that category

Budget / Age?

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

hi

I use a ford focus c max 2. 0 tdci to tow with and my van is 1250kg and tows very well and at 36mpg im happy

My caravan has a mtplm of 1,230kg towed with a medium size estate car. Skoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4, mass in service 1,495kg, tow limit 1,600kg, gives me 82% ratio, yours would be 84%. Lots of load / carry space, good smooth torque 320nm / 1,750-2,500rpm, pulls my van very well, should be OK for your van and extra traction on those muddy fields. The wife also likes it in town for shopping.

Edited by Czech connection

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

Hi Fisher,

Greetings from an ex-Wolvonian. I escaped to Wales. .. they let me out for good behaviour!!!

Czech's advice is a goodun with the Skoda. I love my Insignia 4x4 but there aren't many about. You didn't mention budget/new/used. Vauxhall have just launched an Insignia Country Tourer which looks pretty tasty.

2007 Bailey Pageant Burgundy S6. 2009 Insignia Elite 2. 0 petrol turbo 4x4 - pulls like a train but guzzles juice!

The Cee'd SW or Sportswagon as it's known in its latest versions does well pulling my van. The original MTPLM was 1235kg but it was upgraded to 1295kg, although I don't think I use the extra weight.

The manual 1. 6 diesel has a 1400kg tow limit and the auto 1300kg.

Mine is a 114bhp engine but a few years back they introduced a '4' trim version with leather interior and lots of gizmos and the engine was uprated to 126bhp. The more powerful engine has been standard in all the trim levels since the new Cee'd was launched a year or so ago.

Excellent size boot plus 7 year warranty makes it worth considering. BTW I've had mine over 3 years and only needed standard servicing, nothing has gone wrong at all.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Anyone use a medium sized estate/MPV to tow a 1255kg caravan? Our current car, bought for a bigger caravan, is much too big for general use (so my wife tells me) but medium sized anything seems to be either underweight or too close for comfort. Help!

There is a very large choice of cars capable of towing a 1255kg caravan, I towed a 1333kg caravan over 7 years with a A4 avant estate Quattro, a T30 Xtrail, and a T31 Xtrail. All effectively estates but with 4wd.

If looking new test drive a Mazda CX-5, Kuga, rav4, CRV.

If looking new test drive a Mazda CX-5, Kuga, rav4, CRV.

I thought the OP specifically wanted info on Estates/MPVs, not SUVs.

We came to the conclusion 3 years ago that pulling a 1200kg Eriba Touring with a Sorento was overkill and we rarely venture onto anything worse than slightly damp grass there seemed no point.

Over the those 3 years I've probably saved about £4,000 in less depreciation, less fuel, less VED and less insurance cost, lower servicing cost. I've probably benefitted from other things that aren't finance based such as more comfortable ride and better handling.

Don't you think you're being a bit picky? :)

These SUV or crossovers what ever label you like to use, or only jacked up estates with the OPTION of 4wd.

They are also extremely useful for loading in grand children, elderly relatives, and make good tow cars. Also probably useful at the moment in the very wet south of the country. Along with high tow limits, high nose weight limits generally. But still return good economy and low VED.

A lot smaller car than a Sorento.

Are you also calling the Audi a SUV?

Edited by xtrailman

I wanted a cheap automatic diesel tow car or my 1249kg Orion so bought a Citroen C5 for 2,300 pounds 2 years ago. It suits me fine but as with most French cars the electrics can give trouble. Fortunately mine is OK so far.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

(It's FisherB replying on new registration as I had problems getting back onto forum)

Many thanks to those who replied - I'll respond to the main points -

My current car is a Peugeot 407 SW (with leather seats and electrics for everything! - any offers?). It's a dream to tow my small caravan, but too long for general use.

It's 4763 long, and I'm looking for an estate/MPV about 4400-4500 if possible. Budget not more than £9k.

A C-Max has been suggested, and not ruled out - but it's not a flat-bed estate, and I really want if possible permanent roof bars.

The Cee'd suggested I will follow up - I haven't been able to look at one yet.

So if anyone uses or can suggest other choices, it would be appreciated.

(And to Two Star - I'm not a true Wulfrunian, I'm an ex-pat South Londoner who can't seem to get away!)

Have a look at parkers. co. uk. You can see "facts and figures" for each model and choose a suitable length range of cars from there to narrow down your search maybe

Guess that sort of length is somewhere between Focus/Mondeo size

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

C-Max 2. 0Tdci - we used to tow a 1420kg Bailey Provence around with ours - took it all over Wales & Scotland. I think it was Practical Caravan than tested it with a 1500kg van several years ago and were very impressed with its performace

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

If you're looking at the Cee'd then don't forget the Hyundai i30 which has the same engines, chassis and running gear, only the body is different with very slightly less boot space.

I think the only Band A Cee'd SW is the 1. 4 diesel, although a low PS 1. 6 hatch might get that rating.

The 'old' Cee'd SW 1. 6 EcoD pushed out 119 grammes making it £30 Road Tax.

The 'new' 1. 4 gives 109 grammes which attracts £20 Tax, the 'new' 1. 6 has got the CO2 down to 116 but that still makes it £30.

ro

Volvo V50 is a good motor as well.

Tow a 1190kg Lunar Stellar with a 2013 Peugeot Partner Tepee Outdoor 115.

The 115bhp engine with 194ft lbs of torque tows the van with ease.

On top of that acres of carrying capacity in the car for all manner of caravanning equipment.

As well as the roof rack has provision for internal roof bars to carry things like awning poles etc.

Really pleased with the car, 50mpg solo and 35 mpg towing at legal limit speeds.

Dave formerly DaveBelcanto

I think the only Band A Cee'd SW is the 1. 4 diesel, although a low PS 1. 6 hatch might get that rating.

The 'old' Cee'd SW 1. 6 EcoD pushed out 119 grammes making it £30 Road Tax.

The 'new' 1. 4 gives 109 grammes which attracts £20 Tax, the 'new' 1. 6 has got the CO2 down to 116 but that still makes it £30.

GOT THE NEW ONE STEAMY. WELL UNDER A 100 . .. 1. 6d eco . ..Max Tow 1360. .... Gas

ro

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "