Valencia Torque Wrong At Yearly Service

Philgregg

After all the agony over Valencia wheels coming loose a year or so ago, you'd think that Bailey dealers would have no problem getting it right.

We have just had our 2011 Valencia serviced, at *********** (no names no pack drill) and the service sheet blithely said Torque checked at 120 Nm.

I didn't spot this for a few days, but then went in and enquired with the head of the Service dept. "Oh yes, it should be 160Nm." he said apologetically.

I wonder how many other Valencias have slipped through at this Dealer without the owner picking this up.

So, Valencia owners - don't rely on the Service engineer getting it right. Make sure you check!

Bailey Unicorn Valencia - VW Tiguan TDI Match 177

A timely reminder as our Valencia is in for its 2nd service at the end of next month. I always check the wheel bolts torque before every journey, although I probably would have thought it OK coming straight home from a service. Not so sure now ?? :o

Cheers,

Steve

After all the agony over Valencia wheels coming loose a year or so ago, you'd think that Bailey dealers would have no problem getting it right.

We have just had our 2011 Valencia serviced, at *********** (no names no pack drill) and the service sheet blithely said Torque checked at 120 Nm.

I didn't spot this for a few days, but then went in and enquired with the head of the Service dept. "Oh yes, it should be 160Nm." he said apologetically.

I wonder how many other Valencias have slipped through at this Dealer without the owner picking this up.

So, Valencia owners - don't rely on the Service engineer getting it right. Make sure you check!

If they are an Approved Workshop please make sure you raise a written complaint, if you are not satisfied with the outcome please continue your complaint through the conciliation process run by the Approved Workshop scheme. ...see link for more details.

http://www. approvedworkshops. co. uk/conciliation/

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Henry, S2 torque is 130nm as it has the new style studs. S1 torque was originally 120 or maybe 130 (can`t remember) but was changed to 160nm when the studs were changed to a different type after a very small number of wheel detachments.

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

& certain know-alls think I'm too picky actually removing the wheels & re-fitting them to MY standards after a service. Even though I'd be the first to say my dealer does do them to the correct torque (according to his torque wrench anyway LOL) but I've watched several service people, over the years, doing a so-called 'check' before hand-over & find their misguided faith in the methodology they use quite frightening.

If nothing else my re-fit gives me the confidence to go the rest of the year without re-checking (at all). This also applied to the original lower torque bolts, I was quite happy with them. Never had a problem in over 30 years towing, & never expect to as long as I can do them myself. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to totally rely on some-one else though.

Waiting for the inevitable adverse comments from the 'armchair egsperts'..........

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

Henry, S2 torque is 130nm as it has the new style studs. S1 torque was originally 120 or maybe 130 (can`t remember) but was changed to 160nm when the studs were changed to a different type after a very small number of wheel detachments.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that's re-assuring.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

If they are an Approved Workshop please make sure you raise a written complaint, if you are not satisfied with the outcome please continue your complaint through the conciliation process run by the Approved Workshop scheme. ...see link for more details. http://www. approvedworkshops. co. uk/conciliation/

If they are an Approved Workshop please make sure you raise a written complaint, if you are not satisfied with the outcome please continue your complaint through the conciliation process run by the Approved Workshop scheme. ...see link for more details. http://www. approvedworkshops. co. uk/conciliation/

Last year my dealer torqued my alloys to steel settings. ..and proudly recorded it on the report sheet. Classic.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Hi our dealer did the same at 2nd service. They torque while you are ready to take the van away . I asked what torque setting and the mechanic quoted settings which I didnt understand, so asked what it was in nm, turned out to be 130 nm . I got a blank look when I asked him to go to 160nm . We had the replacement bolts .

We now have purchased the WS bolts so down to 130nm

Landcruiser + Bailey Unicorn Valencia

• 2 weeks later...

We had a major problem on day 1 when I brought it home from the dealer down the M1. Next day I checked the torque to find that they were not torqued correctly. .............some were very loose and some were over tightened stretching the bolts! Surprised I didn't loose a wheel!

I rang them and asked what torque setting they used and the Service Manager quoted the wrong figures and denied that they had cocked up! I took the van back to them and insisted they fitted new WSL bolts. I've got the old bolts and two are stretched.

I also informed WSL who were very helpful who in turn informed Bailey.

The problem is that there are so many torque figures now and the service guys are not checking!

So my advice is check your torque before you drive! And find someone you can trust to service your van.

Audi Q5 3. 0Tdi S Line