Advice//recommendations For Annecy/italy

Booked tunnel departing 28/6 returning 3/8 - 36 nights. 2 adults, golden retriever dog. Enjoy quiet sites near towns. Tend to walk and use car only when necessary. Will have my bike. Have done France, Germany many times with family for many years. Never travelled to Italy. Thinking about heading to Annecy and then Italy - Tuscany or Northern Lakes. Unsure if we will regret attempting Italy because it might be too busy. Any recommendations of quiet sites in North West of the country. All the sites appear to be on the large side and very busy. Looking to travel via Belgium, Luxembourg, Annecy, maybe Grand Bernand then Como or Maggiore. Any recommendations welcome. Looking to have hassle free relaxed holiday. Know route fairly well having used it before. Have done Annecy/Grand Bernand before but looking to try something different, hence Italy. Will I regret the extra travel to Italy. It is a long drive from Scotland. What are the roads like in Italy. Do they compare with France.

Jim

When we travel to Italy we go via Belgium,Luxembourg,to Nancy,Epinal,then the N 66 towards Mulhouse and Basel, that way you don't pay any tolls until you get to Switzerland,Or Belgium Luxembourg Metz, Germany, Austria. again no tolls until Austria.

The time you are going you will find it busy and there are lots of big camps,we always look for camps that are not all sing and dancing at Lake Maggiore a small to medium site Camping Miralago on the lake,.At Como, Camping La Briva in Dongo a medium campsite right on the lake,, Garda we stay at the Municapal Lazise Campsite again thats not large116 pitiches but you cannot book there first come first served,you can find most campsites in the CC bible. We have found the roads in Italy very good and have not had any trouble with them.

JimmyT, There are several disadvantages to your suggestion of travel from Annecy to Italy via the Great St Bernard tunnel.

First you have to cross the Col de Forclaz from Chamonix into Switzerland and drop right down to Martigny, and then it's a long 20 mile climb from there to the tunnel entrance which is well over 6000ft above sea level, then there is a toll to pay for the tunnel even if you are already displaying two Swiss vignettes on car and caravan, and finally the road all the way from Martigny to Aosta is single carriageway rather than dual.

In short it's not an easy route - we would use the Mont Blanc tunnel despite it being expensive.

Jimmy if you are in Le Grand Bornand the obvious route into Northern Italy is through the Mont Blanc tunnel, tolls are high,€54. 10 for a car towing a trailer, one way from France into Italy. Other alternatives are as outlined by Hairdresser.

There are some roads in Italy with a poor surface. I've found these are generally on the busy routes equivalent to our A roads. Quieter routes or country roads are usually very good. My two worst roads are the N16 from Ferrara to Ravenna and the SS2 from Siena to Firenze.

I will echo everything Hairdresser has said about sites around the Lakes. You'll only see a few other caravanners from the UK in Italy, but unfortunately this country's absence is made up for by the Dutch and Germans. However, if you're around the Lakes in mid June our paths may cross. We shall be en-route from Croatia to Le Grand Bornand at this time, spending a few days at Lake Maggiore.

I assume you have read the recent threads on visits to Italy, which have been posted and answered in the past month or so.

John.

Thanks for your responses. We will arrive 4. 00pm in France and looking to go to Leper for 2 nights before heading to Arlon in Luxembourg for 2 nights then down to the Alsace. Possibly might stay at Masevaux/Equisheim before heading for Annecy/Grand Bernand. We have stayed at all the sights except for around Arlon. Intend to take Monte Blanc Tunnel towards Lake Maggiore. Camping Miralago looks ideal. Last year we did Bitburg, Heidelberg, Black Forrest followed with 3 weeks in the Alsace - excellent holiday. As I get older I am becoming more apprehensive about the unknown hence my post re entering Italy and the enquiry into the road network towards the Lakes. We seem to get dragged into going to sites we have already visited and are therefore 'safe' About 7 years ago we stayed at the municipal site at Annecy and 8 days at Grand Bernand and very much would like to revisit. In doing so would like to take the opportunity to take in Italy as a first. We also did Austria 4 years ago but weather was poor and drive back North was hard going due to my lack of planning! Austria to Calais in 2 days was too much. I have read most of the threads and if anyone knows of further sites I should consider it would be much appreciated.

Edited by JimmyT

I can recommend la ravoire just outside annecy in doussard. Great cycle links from the site around the lake. This area is still one of the best places I've ever been

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night