Smart H T (Hi-Tech)

AJCE

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Video is complete and utter rubbish. Shows what that manufacturer thinks of our intellect. Advertising hype that tells you nothing. Bit like the original claims for 'SMART' that it was timber free, soon back peddled on that one.

Shame because it will colour any improvements they have made. This months Practical Caravan 'Owner Satisfaction Awards' is far more interesting if depressing reading. e. g. 17% of new vans suffering damp, presumably in the first year. !

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Totally agree - I think caravan manufacturers think we are all mugs and hyped advertising will overcome all .

Trouble is,we are,and it does!

(When I say "we,"I mean everybody except us discerning CT people. :))

Edited by paulthomas

Not having a much better reception on 'Swift Talk' Shot and foot come to mind. Still some will find it entertaining no doubt.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Well if its a new development that's 'hidden' out of sight in the construction, they have to make a song and dance to get everyone aware and talking about it.

But I can guess what all the people who just ordered 2014 Swifts are thinking. Unless Swift have 'HT'd them all, without telling them, they are still awaiting delivery of outdated technology.

Why do they make changes 'mid season'?

Their e-mail ads say all will be revealed at the February show !!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Well if its a new development that's 'hidden' out of sight in the construction, they have to make a song and dance to get everyone aware and talking about it.

But I can guess what all the people who just ordered 2014 Swifts are thinking. Unless Swift have 'HT'd them all, without telling them, they are still awaiting delivery of outdated technology.

Why do they make changes 'mid season'?

It's an interesting point about changes. We have no idea exactly what swift have done. But if is is a significant alteration in materials or construction methods then where do you stand as a customer waiting for a van that you ordered and has yet to be delivered.

All order forms have get out clauses about change of design but if it is a material and major structural element then you could argue that this is a step to far and comes into the realms of 'unfair terms of contract'. But then you don't have a contract with Swift yours is with the dealer. Also if yours was delivered with the new 'HT' changes and you didn't respond to them the way Swift want you to, can you reject it. We await 'facts' not 'hype' with interest.

It's an interesting point about changes. We have no idea exactly what swift have done. But if is is a significant alteration in materials or construction methods then where do you stand as a customer waiting for a van that you ordered and has yet to be delivered.

All order forms have get out clauses about change of design but if it is a material and major structural element then you could argue that this is a step to far and comes into the realms of 'unfair terms of contract'. But then you don't have a contract with Swift yours is with the dealer. Also if yours was delivered with the new 'HT' changes and you didn't respond to them the way Swift want you to, can you reject it. We await 'facts' not 'hype' with interest.

There are already some prospective owners waiting for delivery, who have raised their concerns about what theybare getting, over on .

Of course, if it's all been overhyped and it's a 'new window frame' it may all fizzle out.

That's categorically the worst video I have ever seen and the presenter is a. .............

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

That's categorically the worst video I have ever seen and the presenter is a. .............

He's a Pro, he used to present BBC local news !

I couldnt watch the end of the video as it was dinner time - did he get shot ;)

He should be.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

well whether you like the video or not its done its job. Its got people talking about it.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

I have ordered a new swift which is scheduled to be built in march for delivery in april. As far as I am aware my new van will have no wooden timbers making the structure between the outer and inner wall panels. The inner wall panel will still be plywood though?. which seems stupid to me? as there are plenty of other light weigh materials which could of been used instead of plywood!

Not a brilliant non damp/rott alternative but after looking at the other makes (again) the swift suited us better.

I don't think any of the manufacturers will have the construction "right" for a long while yet.

Shazjag, Hubby, 2 Kids, Swift Challenger 590SE 2014,

Mercedes Ml 280cdi SE Bristol

Given the promise of moving manufacturing onto the next level I will be going to the Show expecting 'SMART HT' to be -

Totally wood product free walls and roof with GRP outer and inner, as per Bailey.

Bonded construction, not screwed and stapled together as per Solid Elddis or Alu-tech Bailey.

A plastic/metal composite floor (wood free) with Alde or similar under floor heating.

Proper triple lip seals to door/windows/lockers etc. (to stand some chance of keeping the water out)

No ABS panels, it is totally unsuitable product. Most manufacturers have been using it for 30 plus years to my knowledge. It cracks always has and always will. Much better plastics have been available for decades. 'Barex' for example.

And a roof design that does not include a free paddling pool.

All of the above are available, just not in the same van.

Then I just might agree they have actually moved forwards, in the earth shattering way they are implying, and I might get my cheque book out. We shall see.

Given the promise of moving manufacturing onto the next level I will be going to the Show expecting 'SMART HT' to be -

Totally wood product free walls and roof with GRP outer and inner, as per Bailey.

Bonded construction, not screwed and stapled together as per Solid Elddis or Alu-tech Bailey.

A plastic/metal composite floor (wood free) with Alde or similar under floor heating.

Proper triple lip seals to door/windows/lockers etc. (to stand some chance of keeping the water out)

No ABS panels, it is totally unsuitable product. Most manufacturers have been using it for 30 plus years to my knowledge. It cracks always has and always will. Much better plastics have been available for decades. 'Barex' for example.

And a roof design that does not include a free paddling pool.

All of the above are available, just not in the same van.

Then I just might agree they have actually moved forwards, in the earth shattering way they are implying, and I might get my cheque book out. We shall see.

So just the the naff interior decoration left to sort.

:)

This just shows how opinions vary:

The video: - Personally I can see it for what it is, a tongue in cheek teaser to begin the task of raising awareness of HT, yes its cheesy but I don't think they were planning on winning a BAFTA for it.

Interior design - Again, personally I like the way Swift are going with the modern look of the 2014 Sterling range.

On the build technology, I think Alan Stanley is spot on, if any manufacturer can find a way to make that type of design light enough then we're all on to a winner.

I plan to change my current Elddis within the next 2 years and although currently I think I will be sticking with Elddis I will be watching Swift with interest.

Davros

So just the the naff interior decoration left to sort.

:)

Well after many years me and SWMBO have come to a working arrangement.

She makes the small decisions like. What colour to decorate. Van decor etc.

I agree with her on the medium decisions like shall we have a new van or car?, holidays etc.

And I make all the big ones such as Do we stay in the Euro zone? When is the next Mars mission?, and stick to advising Stephen Hawkins about what Gravity really is.

Shows what an Alpha male I am.

Like all such beings I am therefore far to important to comment on such mundane matters.

Edited by Alan Stanley

First time have seen the Video, a tad overboard, wonder how much it cost, cash probably better spent on making dry vans instead.

Reading most of the posts it seems to me that attitudes have changed towards Caravan Manufacturers on here, seems that most people are now very cautious not just of what we buy, but what we are told. This can only be good, not just for our pockets but for the industry, the more we question, the more they will listen and take note that we as Customers are no longer going to be manipulated into giving up our Money for what seemed to be on the whole of it, sub standard products.

This HT product, HT to me means, NO WOOD, even Plywood, NO obviously visible fixings, NO screws WHAT SO EVER!!.

High Tech Definition is "Using, requiring, involving advances in Hi Technology" Anything short of the above IMHO is not Hi Tech but tradition. I guess we will have to wait until Feb 18th but I feel its all just a bit of window dressing and hype to lead us to believe something that isn't actual. I could be wrong.

Sandy

Swift Challenger 530 2010

Towing with Range Rover Vogue 2014