2013 Elddis Crusader - Positives And Negatives Please?!

summertime

Hi,

We're looking at buying an Elddis 2013 Crusader (new, been in dealership as demo for a few months). Having read all the difficulties people have had with cracks in the SOLiD panels we're now a bit scared! We're replacing a Swift, which had a few teething problems in the beginning and now has some damp issues, but other than that has been a really enjoyable van so we don't want to end up with lots of problems by swapping to an Elddis. We need to change for a different layout, otherwise we'd keep the Swift a little longer.

We'd appreciate all comments - good and bad, please. We realise that on the internet people do tend to comment more when they're having problems, if only to find support and help for how to fix them. So if you've had a good experience with a 2013 Elddis Crusader, please reply as well!

Hi summertime. With respect,I think that you have it wrong. The issues were not with the SoLiD built caravans,they were all pre-SoLiD.

SoLiD was introduced for the 2013 model year. Any caravans made before SoLiD went into production will be the older method of construction.

If your intended new caravan is a 2013 SoLiD example;there have been no reports of cracks in the side panels to-date.

There have however been reports of the ABS rears developing small cracks,I am not sure about the fronts.

The cracking/splitting of the aluminium skins issue has been with certain longer single axle and a number as yet totally unknown of twin axle examples.

The Crusader range was always the top end of the Elddis badged caravans from Elddis/The Explorer Group. The Buccaneer is a higher specification than the Crusader range and is a totally stand alone badge.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

The 2012 models were old construction style but panel design of the later models. ...not the previous design where a few members have issues with side panel cracking.

So as for the 2013 models, as it is broadly similar to ours, ours has been great!

Does concern me the minority few are shouting loudly. ...potentially devaluing my perfectly good van. ....

Ironically we were looking at one of these at dealers open day over the w/e. We have a 09 Crusader Supercyclone at present and have had it (bought s/h) since April 12. We have 2 children 11 and 16 and the layout suits us fine.

It has not been trouble free though in fact this caravan has had all the known problems to afflict this model, including the cracked side panel which was fixed by Elddis under warranty but this caravan is of course the earlier non Solid construction method.

I have to say I liked the 2014 model (more than the 12/13 models) with 1 exception - the kitchen sink seemed set too far back in the unit, it appeared to my wife that she would have to stretch across to use it and I could see what she meant.

I do feel the new models are 'flimsier' inside than our current model and more plasticky, i guess to bring weight (or price) down, or both! Even our 11 year old daughter pointed out some glaring issues with the fit/finish in some places inside the caravan - nothing major but makes you wonder how these vans pass QC before they leave the factory and how much pride the guys in the factory take in what they are producing - for £25k!

We looked at Bailey, Swift and Sterling models with similar layouts and out of them all we still liked the Crusader Supercyclone the best (also looked at Buccaneer Clipper 2014 model but have to say it was touch and go whether we liked even that more than the Supercyclone)

I do not plan to change ours this season but will have to before too long. The dealer agreed with my concerns re time taken by Elddis to sort these problems and felt their customer service at present is not as they (the dealer) would always like it to be although they did point out they have similar issues with all the manufacturers they represent, to some degree.

I too have my reservations about buying another Elddis, even though mine was (eventually) repaired and they did a great job.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Does concern me the minority few are shouting loudly. ...potentially devaluing my perfectly good van. ....

They're only shouting loudly because they feel trapped in a nightmare scenario. Personally I'm grateful for the warning.

Edited by henrypartridge

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

At the end of the day you can get faults,problems with any van on the market no matter what the price you pay so i would say buy a van you like and enjoy it.

They're only shouting loudly because they feel trapped in a nightmare scenario. Personally I'm grateful for the warning.

Good post

I own a 2013 tempest eb, it is my second 2013 tempest eb as you will now see. Picked first one up in April last year and loved it. Though soon found various bits of trim damage and a pitted wardrobe door and bubbling external grab handles all of which were dealt with under warranty. The bathroom sink then worked loose and whilst away in France the dinette table rail detached from the wall and the nearside front leg broke when winding up. It was back to the dealer again who replaced the leg and re attached the dinette rail along with an itc repair due to a cutting out fault. On returning home with the caravan I noticed two lumps in the grp side panel and realised that the dealer had almost drilled through the wall when re attaching the dinette rail, back to dealer for a repair which was carried out to a poor standard when inspected by Paul from Tourershine. To cut a long story shortish I ended up offering to buy my way our of the caravan and it was £4. 5k to go for a 2014 which I didn't want due to the intro of a sunroof of £2. 7k for a 2013. I guess we used it about 10 times for a total of 50 nights and covered about 2. 5k miles. I decided to cut my losses and go for a new 2013 model which I am yet to use. Despite all this I love the caravan and would not change it for anything. Despite all this the dealer have done what they can and did their best to repair the damage. These are the facts and I would buy another Elddis as this makes it seem worse than it really has been.

Hi we have the affinity 540 2013 solid build and although we have had a lot of problems they have mostly been with the bought in components, The construction and finish of the caravan has been great so far and all of the problems have been sorted under warranty. I agree with the above post the sink is set too far back the wife's 5ft 3 and struggles. I think the cracking rear panels has mostly affected avante's and a few affinity's, we have towed ours a good few thousand miles and so far no cracks, cant recall anyone posting about the solid crusaders cracking though. Crusader is a lovely van we looked to swap ours for a 2013 cyclone at the weekend but we will lose too much on the affinity :(

Hi Summertime

I also have a 2013 Crusader Temepest EB, and like Stattam I love the caravan and have never regretted buying it, I have been lucky (so far) as there have been very few faults and the ones I had were very minor and fixed without question by my dealer. My contact with Elddis has been nothing short of excellent, quick responses and no quiblle on any discussion about warranty repairs, but as I mentioned I have not had to deal with them regarding any major claims.

There have been issues reported regarding the avtex aerial but personally speaking mine has been fine on all but one site last year (my previous status was also useless at the same site). In my opinion the van looks good, is extremely comfortable (Adle heating is excellent) and the fit and finish on mine is also very good.

I have put a review in the reviews section of CT.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Davros