Fiamma Caravanstore

Mikeange

Has anyone any comments on fiamma caravanstore sun awning\cover.

I am thinking of buying one.

Are they good or bad. .....and are they easy to usu?

Used one for years great for France etc, good rain shelter but now use an isabella shadow as it's lighter and a few minutes to put up. The reports of damage to caravans stopped me staying with the caravanstore.

The Caravanstore has three main benefits . ..

1. It's left attached, where it will be used, rather than cluttering up the caravan or back of the car on route.

2. It can be unravelled and set up in 5minutes. ...conversely it can be 'put away' in rapidly too. Simplicity itself.

3. It's very light.

Of course, it's only a canopy. So items left outside may be protected from the weather but on public view.

This doesn't bother us, as we just want something to provide cover in sun or shower.

If you buy one get the storm straps. They are needed if you want to keep the canopy out in strong winds.

The only 'damage to caravan' I have heard about it the bag rubbing on the side of the caravan. But that's because people didn't fit the foam pads under the bag to lift it away. If you get extra pads, for a couple of quid, rather than just the two supplied, they will ensure it won't rub the paintwork along its full length. I've towed 1000s of miles all over Europe in last 7years and there's not a mark on my paintwork where it rests.

Edited by ericfield

Had one for four years, did not replace it when destroyed by fire as bought a porch awning,but, it was used almost every week . ...You do need to make sure end pads work,my original ones didn't so replaced by a couple of polystyrene pads which I fixed to van with UPA Glue as would wash off. .

Make sure you dont get one so long you need two people and steps to roll back home!

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Had two on various caravans over the years. Handy because they travel on the side of the van and can be put up, or taken down quite quickly. The last one we had was a 3. 6mt and it did really need two people to put up, at least it did for us weaklings!!! You do need to be careful in windy conditions and we have taken it down a couple of times in the middle of the night. Now we motorhome we have a wind out one, even better.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I'm getting on with ours very well. 1 person and 5 minutes and you've got a sunshade. 10 minutes more and the sides and front slot in to make a proper awning. Haven't found a downside yet.

hawkaye :beardy:

We have transferred ours through our last three caravans we use it a lot and wouldn't be without it.

I have seen them on the "other side" of a caravan too being used as a bike shed.

Had one on our Eriba Troll along with the bits to make an enclosed awning. I didn't like the latter as it was all plastic and ponged strongly eap. when warm, plus the space inside was v small. The bag did rub on a window edge and a bit of the paintwork, not good. It also filled with water and potential drenching when you unzipped the bag. We moved over to a conventional awning asap.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

We have one permenantly on our caravan.

This works well for us as on our main holidays we quite often stay off for a couple of nights on the way out and on the way back home, so the Caravan Store comes out.

Once on site where we are staying for a longer period it gets swapped on to the other awning rail so we can put up the full awning.

If we are stopping off on the way back I then swap it back, if we are not I swap it over once we are home.

We have used one for years too and erected it for even 1 night according to the weather. We also carry a full awning for longer stays and stow the fiamma under the van. Never had it blow away but have sometimes had a lake on top when we did not slope it enough. Always needed two of us to handle it and a set of step ladders.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Used them for years but currently got a roof mounted electric canopy.

Worth while opening up your awning rails on the horizontal just behind the canopy then you can slide the canopy in and out without unrolling it.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

we've had a 3. 6m caravanstore for years - easy to setup and packup, although the 3. 6m does nee two people, especially if its a bit breezy.

used it in sun, rain, wind and snow. make sure its got the guy ropes attached, and the centre rafter helps support it.

we stayed at a site int he Cotswolds several years ago and woke up to a surprise overnight snowfall. there were several other caravanstores that have collapsed under the weight of the snow - fortunately ours was ok as the rafter took the weight, so worth putting it in at all times.

Ive also had a front panel made by our local canvas supplier so we can drop it at the front and that helps keep things dry if its rainy and windy.

We've had a 3. 6 metre one fitted to our Bailey for 8 years and have had no problems (except one of the pivots broke - a replacement was readily available and easily fitted). We really like it.

We do have some mesh end screens (supplied by Lillypad) which we attach if we want extra protection.

I've found I can pitch and strike it on my own although it's easier with a bit of help.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Pros

Easy to erect

Reasonably cheap.

Cons

Heavy to roll up, needs 2 if you are small and feeble

Will blow away if not well secured.

Doesn't keep the drafts out.

Fills up with water and drips.

Buy a porch awning, they don't take that much longer to put up and everything stays dry!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Used ours for 3 years. Stays on the caravan all year. Very easy to erect and roll back and gives good shade. I also have the additional side and front panels and this was effective in 5 days of torrential rain in Austria 2 years ago. Truly wouldn't be without it.

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

Hi mike and ange . .... we have 330 which we use when we got to France, every September, and in the UK when the weather is hot and sunny . .... I have even got a front sun scade panel . ... which is great when it is very, very hot . .....

Other-wise we use a 260 porch awning . ....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

I know caravan layouts differ significantly, but we find with our model, that conventional awnings (even porches) cover windows. ..which blocks light indoors and stops the view on that side of the caravan.

Pros

Easy to erect

Reasonably cheap.

Cons

Heavy to roll up, needs 2 if you are small and feeble

Will blow away if not well secured.

Doesn't keep the drafts out.

Fills up with water and drips.

Buy a porch awning, they don't take that much longer to put up and everything stays dry!

The 'cons' haven't really been thought out properly here.

Once its on the van its a darned site easier to erect than threading an awning every time, porch or full

If properly secured it won't blow away, yes it can flap wildly but if strong winds are forecast, roll it up.

It's a canopy, not designed to keep out drafts.

If it rains simply lower one end by a couple of inches, water will flow off, just like an awning.

Phil

If it rains simply lower one end by a couple of inches, water will flow off, just like an awning.

Phil

But remember to do it before the puddle appears or risk an impromptu shower!

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

They're not a good idea with dogs on tie-outs. If the dog sees something it wants to investigate and a canopy leg is in the way, then depending on speed and weight of dog, the leg can be displaced, bent or broken.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

They're not a good idea with dogs on tie-outs. If the dog sees something it wants to investigate and a canopy leg is in the way, then depending on speed and weight of dog, the leg can be displaced, bent or broken.

I would think in that case the lead is too long

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

The 'cons' haven't really been thought out properly here.

Phil

Was really doing a comparison with a porch awning. We had a Caravanstors but gave it up because it needed two of us to roll it up and there was only me to do it recently. Now I can't do it. Find it easier to use a porch awning . Only takes about 29 minutes to put up. Thinking of one of the Kampa inflatables now. Even less work!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

• 8 months later...

just picked up a second hand (actually brand new) Caravanstore 4. 4m the dealer had to put in the extra rafter and the leg, that it should have had, I added to better isabella rail clamps and the fiamma footpad that allow extra pegs to be used

I was wondering if the rafter needs putting up all the time? or just in bad weather? the rafter support hope isn't central, but offset a third so i didn't know if it should have 2 rafters or just the one weird looking off centre one?

2014 Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE Luxury Auto
2012 Swift Challanger Sport 636 (gone 2007 Sterling Europa 540)