Bah Humbug

Marks

I have read a few articles recently that have really annoyed me in our favourite read, the CC magazine, (yes it's a bit of a rant) by people who the word "skinflint" comes to mind. Recently, the mentioned magazine has done articles on big motorhomes, a Range Rover and a top of the range Coachman, these vehicles are as much a part of motorhoming, caravanning and motoring as any other type of vehicle, and yet one or two issues later, you get some working class hero criticising the choice of vehicle to write about with comments like, I am not interested in . ......, I could never afford one of those, or some other negative comment, and then follow up by the most fantastic vehicle they bought for 10 1/2p towing a van they bought for thruppence in which a bucket for a toilet is considered as much luxury as they would ever want.

Well, lets blow a few myths, big twin axle caravans are still very popular, Range Rovers need I say, are a dime a dozen and probably the towcar, if Carlsburg made towcars etc, and I believe there are about 25000 American RV's in this country alone.

Well I personally want to read about big vans, I have one, I love Range Rovers and I aspire to an American RV or big motorhome one day, I want luxuries, I have aircon, self seeking satellite, movers flush toilet, TV, stereo, and like to read about them, if you don't like these things, then don't read about them, and certainly stop bleating about it, if you don't like it, keep it to yourself, the things that are featured may be not your cup of tea, but they are someone's.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Hi,

Hope you did not make too much of a bump as you fell out of the wrong side of the bed !

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Well it will give the 'anti-everything' brigade something to think about. ............ sorry,

I have to go to the Doctors at least twice a week and someone there is obviously a Motor Home fan as there is a great selection of US & UK magazines, I too devour them even though I have not the foggiest chance of ever owing one but to read about separate aircons, for the driver and the living accommodation, and a second chest freezer is great. .......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

The bit I love the best in this rant. ...

'If you don't like it, keep it to yourself. ..'

So why not keep what you don't like to yourself~?

OK - poking fun bit over ;) - If I could afford a big twin axle and a nice range rover, I would be enjoying the sunshine a bit more than a soggy field :)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Marks, spot on! Well said. I too enjoy reading about 6 year old Bailey Senators as I do about Airstreams and others.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

The bit I love the best in this rant. ...

'If you don't like it, keep it to yourself. ..'

So why not keep what you don't like to yourself~?

OK - poking fun bit over ;) - If I could afford a big twin axle and a nice range rover, I would be enjoying the sunshine a bit more than a soggy field :)

H.

Spot on Honk, only i would have a Q7.

All I hear from big motorhome owners is moaning about the price of diesel,

lack of big pitches etc. they never stop moaning!. Thats not what its all about.

The only thing that does annoy me is that all of the tow car reviews in magazines are for new cars (for obvious reasons). I am no skinflint, just genuinely impoverished. I would love to see a compendium of old tow car reviews. Apparently the Sierra we have was tow car of the year in or around 1992.

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

I can see both sides of the argument here, I'm interested in reading about the nice tugs and the big vans BUT I would like to see more geared towards Mr. Average who can't afford a £40k caravan and a £90k tug. I'd like to see articles like good solar setups, fitting air on yourself, converting to LED lights etc etc. I still don't object to the big rig stuff though just takes a while for my green complexion to return to normal.

Ap

I think its more about being responsible, with fossil fuels running out,

in the not so distant future people will be asking us to justify the use

of fuel for leisure and recreation.

Eh???

The fastest off topic post ever? So it will be ok to build a shelter from the local woodland debris and forage in the woods for food as long as you travel in an electric car!

Oh wait, we need somewhere to plug that in. ....

Oh I love this place.

H.

The article was great, esp the Range Rover/Airstream. A nice change even if I can't afford one. There are loads of reviews of more reasonably priced caravans plus the owners reports of one model v another for those in the market for a previously owned van. Of course there's always someone who'll have a chip if you post an actual opinion: nothing to do with the side of the bed.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Eh???

The fastest off topic post ever? So it will be ok to build a shelter from the local woodland debris and forage in the woods for food as long as you travel in an electric car!

Oh wait, we need somewhere to plug that in. ....

Oh I love this place.

H.

it will be ok if staying on serviced pitches, you could plug your electric car in there, but dont forget the double plug :lol::lol:

phil

I hope the cruise ship companies have taken note.

They may be better waiting for the scrap metal price to rise before weighing in their iron :D

H.

i must admit i do like reading about all the new towing cars, however it would be nice to hear about what most people use for their tow cars, not everyone can afford a nice new big flashy motor, mine is 1994 pajero,

phil

I have read a few articles recently that have really annoyed me in our favourite read, the CC magazine, (yes it's a bit of a rant) by people who the word "skinflint" comes to mind. Recently, the mentioned magazine has done articles on big motorhomes, a Range Rover and a top of the range Coachman, these vehicles are as much a part of motorhoming, caravanning and motoring as any other type of vehicle, and yet one or two issues later, you get some working class hero criticising the choice of vehicle to write about with comments like, I am not interested in . ......, I could never afford one of those, or some other negative comment, and then follow up by the most fantastic vehicle they bought for 10 1/2p towing a van they bought for thruppence in which a bucket for a toilet is considered as much luxury as they would ever want.

Well, lets blow a few myths, big twin axle caravans are still very popular, Range Rovers need I say, are a dime a dozen and probably the towcar, if Carlsburg made towcars etc, and I believe there are about 25000 American RV's in this country alone.

Well I personally want to read about big vans, I have one, I love Range Rovers and I aspire to an American RV or big motorhome one day, I want luxuries, I have aircon, self seeking satellite, movers flush toilet, TV, stereo, and like to read about them, if you don't like these things, then don't read about them, and certainly stop bleating about it, if you don't like it, keep it to yourself, the things that are featured may be not your cup of tea, but they are someone's.

It's nice to have a balance in the magazines test models. I think it exists as there are owner comparison tests on older vehicles available in the CC magazine. For those wanting tests on even older cars I am sure these exist on the internet. Surely the magazines will test what the trade provides them with so some imbalance will occur.

I think the letter writer that prompted the indignant response said if he won the lottery he still wouldn't buy a luxury outfit. Maybe they would lash out on a zinc coated bucket for ablutions instead of a plain metal one. The funny bit was the letter writer said he wasn't a lottery ticket buyer.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

Nice rant MARKS.

Thats me doomed if this happens,

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

I take it you don't tow a caravan then and you cycle everywhere?

Must be my imagination but I could swear I have seen Range Rovers and RVs on CC sites I have stayed at.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

This is what caravanning is all about every person / outfit different all towing what we can afford, yes it would be nice to have that rig or outfit but just think of the drop in values after three years there now dont you feel better after not loosing all that money.

Happy with what i have and yes i have new after my first bypass came out of hospital said to the wife sod it we dont know what tomorrow holds and purchased a new indianna and a new kia 4x4.

Must admit it felt very nice until the indianna leaked like a sieve.

after my first bypass came out of hospital said to the wife sod it we dont know what tomorrow holds and purchased a new indianna and a new kia 4x4.

Had the same sort of experience. .....collapsed in London on a visit and ended up in 2 Hospitals with Kidney Stones. ......thought I was on way out but bought my firs Jeep the following week. ..........couldn't afford a new 'van too. ......

geoff

We can only get out of one side of the bed in our 'van. When getting out though. ..it is always the right side as every day is as good as or better than the last when out in the caravan . I sometimes wonder how much these beautiful machines might be some 5 to 6 years down the line.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

Had the same sort of experience. .....collapsed in London on a visit and ended up in 2 Hospitals with Kidney Stones. ......thought I was on way out but bought my firs Jeep the following week. ..........couldn't afford a new 'van too. ......

geoff

Not only that the first femerol bypass failed and my body shut down to protect vital organs 21 ops later and a stroke still enjoying vanning.

The paradox of pointing out someone else is moaning is only usually done by moaning oneself

I'm not moaning btw, just saying :-)

Which then gives someone else the opportunity to moan,perhaps. .........

geoff