7 Pin To 13 Pin

Maffffster

Hi,

Does anyone know how easy it is to change a volvo v70 with twin electrics to the single socket 13 pin socket.

My parents don't want to use the conversion lead, just change the sockets completely

Thanks

Disco 3 and Bailey Segovia 

Not sure about Volvo specific, but I changed my old 2008 Sorento over from 2x7pin and caravan to 13 pin on a caravan site one afternoon, as the wires were dedicated to car it did take a little while to write down the cable colours and pin locations before changing, van was easier, took me 3/4 hour to do both car and van, sat out in the sun with a tin at the side.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Thanks guys. Been have a look on line and it doesn't look to hard

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/advice/convert-your-towcar-13-pin-electrics

Disco 3 and Bailey Segovia 

As been said, just change the socket. You can get sockets with a two cable entry grommet so insuring no water ingress after conversion.

In fact you can get the 13 pin socket for the van with the same two cable grommet arrangement. Makes changing the old style two plugs over to one a nice easy job.

Dave formerly DaveBelcanto

It's difficult to feed the two cables into the new socket, plus it looks untidy and is hard to seal.

If you carefully take the existing sockets apart and write down the connections to pins, then pull the cables back into the car. Buy a 13 pin socket with about a metre of cable already wired in off of eBay, the make the connections inside the car, sealing each connection with some heat shrink.

This way the join will be kept in the dry of the car, and you only have one cable entering the new socket, which will look neater and give a better seal

It's difficult to feed the two cables into the new socket, plus it looks untidy and is hard to seal.

If you carefully take the existing sockets apart and write down the connections to pins, then pull the cables back into the car. Buy a 13 pin socket with about a metre of cable already wired in off of eBay, the make the connections inside the car, sealing each connection with some heat shrink.

This way the join will be kept in the dry of the car, and you only have one cable entering the new socket, which will look neater and give a better seal

Not at all. You can buy a socket with a twin entry grommet which provides a watertight seal and you hardly notice the two cables at the back if the socket under the car.

Dave formerly DaveBelcanto

Strange,

I never had any problems and it did not look untidy, I did insert a little clear sealant to the cables before tightening the nut up though, when I sold the van & car about 3 years later, I returned the twin socket/plugs and found no water ingress at all.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Strange,

I never had any problems and it did not look untidy, I did insert a little clear sealant to the cables before tightening the nut up though, when I sold the van & car about 3 years later, I returned the twin socket/plugs and found no water ingress at all.

Must just be me then, as this has been commented on twice.

When I tried to change on my last car, due to the length of cable coming out of the rear valance, it proved for me, difficult to connect into the socket. Also, one cable was black, the other grey, so to my eye this looked shoddy.

My solution was to pull both cables back into the car and splice in the ready connected 13 pin socket. This put the join inside of the car, with only a single cable exiting, through a grommet, into the new socket, agin, through a grommet.

Each to their own I suppose