New Hitch

bob1982

Hi all.

just had my hitch on my van changed over to a alko style. I am brand new and this is likely a silly question. However I have noticed that on the old hitch that has been removed from the van that you cannot push the silver handle down to close it.

However on the new hitch on the van the silver handle (not the stabiliser handle) can be pushed down with ease and it kinda clicks down. Is this normal or something to worry about? I have not actually tried to attached the car and van as yet.

I hope this is just normal and that the reason the hitch no longer on the van wont move is because its not connected to anything. ... but I just dont know how the mechanics work.

of course I could just try and hitch it and see what happens but someone may be able to confirm this is ok. Fanks.

It is normal. One reason may be that the handle on the Alko needs to be lowered to fit the Alko hitch lock which covers the handle and prevents it from being raised. On some of the other, pressed steel hitches you need to trip the mechanism inside to lower the handle to fit their locks.

Edited by DACS

That sounds reassuring. ...

I have a hitch where the leaver for the stabilizer sits on the side with a screw up mechanism on the opposite side. The stabilizer handle does not sit on top of the silver handle. It looks similar to this one - alko-aks1300-caravan-stabiliser-kit.jpg

Does this make any difference or does this all seem fine to you?

The handle should only move up and down when it has a ball inside it ie: when the plastic security ball is inserted it will close with a snap. when it is lowered on to the tow ball it will click down when the ball is fully engaged. Otherwise you could lower the hitch onto the tow ball, think its secure and pull off leaving the van behind! so no ball/tow ball inside handle stays up.

to check it out pull the handle up far as you can, it should lock in that position.

There should also be a "tell-tale" button (red in the picture above) and when the ball is into its place, the tell-tale button is pushed up. This helps you to know the ball is fully in place.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Yes. ... it does stay in the up position but will snap down if I push down on it with no tow ball nearby. I wondered if that should be possible.

I just went out and hitched up and both green markers displayed. I then lifted the van with the jockey wheel and the back of the car came up with the van so I think it is probably all ok.

just wasnt sure I should be able to push the handle down with no tow ball but I think its ok.