We Lost Our Sunroof!!!

TrickyT

We reuturned this afternoon from our latest outing. It involved a 110 mile trip home. This was mainly along motorways and major roads and I averaged about 50mph, never going above 60.

When I parked up at our storage, to my horror, we had lost our sunroof.

We have a 2003 Bailey Pageant Vendee. The sunroof is a tilt and slide option. That faces and slided to the front of the caravan.

I know it was closed and secured before we left as both myself and my mother checked it.

This is the only way that I think it could have happened. The 2 clips had become loose and opened. The sunroof then tilted and some how then slid foreward. The wind then got hold of it and ripped it off. I cant fully understand how as I would have thought the airflow over the caravan would have kept it closed?

We have one runner sill on the side of the opening, the other looks like it has been ripped off.

Can anyone give me an idea how much a replacement sunroof will cost. Would I be able to fit it myself as it appears that it is just a case of screwing the 2 runners to the opening, or will the existing holes have been damaged?

Any help will be appreciated.

ReEgards

Trevor

We reuturned this afternoon from our latest outing. It involved a 110 mile trip home. This was mainly along motorways and major roads and I averaged about 50mph, never going above 60.

When I parked up at our storage, to my horror, we had lost our sunroof.

We have a 2003 Bailey Pageant Vendee. The sunroof is a tilt and slide option. That faces and slided to the front of the caravan.

I know it was closed and secured before we left as both myself and my mother checked it.

This is the only way that I think it could have happened. The 2 clips had become loose and opened. The sunroof then tilted and some how then slid foreward. The wind then got hold of it and ripped it off. I cant fully understand how as I would have thought the airflow over the caravan would have kept it closed?

We have one runner sill on the side of the opening, the other looks like it has been ripped off.

Can anyone give me an idea how much a replacement sunroof will cost. Would I be able to fit it myself as it appears that it is just a case of screwing the 2 runners to the opening, or will the existing holes have been damaged?

Any help will be appreciated.

ReEgards

Hi,

Exactly the same thing happened to my brother in laws van, (avondale) last easter, he lost it on the a55 i was behind him all the way and didnt see it go, as with yours one runner left and one disapeared, as they were certain they had fastened it, the repair was done under warranty, so unable to give a price, but we are always a bit paranoid about double checking, also, make sure you make a good temporary repair with a board and some slats to secure it, to make it watertight.

Dave.

I believe this has happened to a number of 2003 Pageants and maybe the reason why the sunroof was moved further back on 2004 models. While you may be out of warranty, it might be worth trying to claim it under the warranty, in view of the number of other failures. I have not had a problem with mine so far.

Brian

Thanks for all of your replies. I will be contacting Bailey tomorrow morning for 'further advice'.

Having had time to relax and think about it more, the sunroof was not opened at all over the 3 night stay we had, it was too cold and wet to open it.

Thanks for the price Mr Sheens, it it a simple thing to replace, it looked like that there were 3 or 4 screws either side securing the runners.

Regards

Trevor

I've noticed on two different occassion brand new just delivered Baileys having a batton of wood across the heiki and the handles secured to it with tie wraps so they can't open

An inherent weakness maybe?

Last september I lost the top of my roof (ranger 2003) Bailey wernt interested and I claimed on insurance the problem I had was the roof came from Germany and it took 6 weeks it involves the removal of the entire unit frame etc the replacement has differant catches 6 months after buying my van I got a warning notice to put in the handbook ensuring roof is securely closed?I have been told that if the insurnce co. regard it as build fault then they wont pay; however I was ok

Mikel

Have just spoken to Bailey's at Bristol. They are unaware of any issues involving sunroofs. We explained the situation, they asked us if we were sure the roof was shut. We said that we had not opened during our time away. To be honest, not sure the last time we did open it as the weather has not been 'sunroof time'.

The only thing I do know it that we check all whte windows and roofs before we make any journey.

Bailey told us that as it is not under warranty we can take it anywhere to get it fixed, but they are unable to supply parts direct to us.

Having looked on our insurance we have to pay the first £200 of any claim.

Not sure how we are going to progress this yet.

Have to pop to the storgae today so will take some photos

Regards

Trevor

Managed to get a mobile repairer to look at the caravan this afternoon. It appears that the top half of the remi rooflight need to be repaied as the 'roof' can be purchased seperately, but the runners and arms cound not.

Phoned around this afternoon to find one in stock. The cheapest we could get was £280 for the unit so we went and picked it up, the repaier is going to fit it tomorrow.

Have noticed on the 'new' sunroof that the black securing arms which lock the roof down now have a press button to release them to open the roof. Something that was not on our old one.

Will have to decide if to claim off the insurance as we have to pay the first £200 excess, depends on how much installation will cost.

Regards

Trevor

Guest mr_sheens

just to let you know the domes, handles and the runners are available for the remi rooflights as spares and i have them on stock.

We met the repairer at the storage depot tonight so he could check that the part we got was ok.

It appears that the runner that has dissapeard has pulled out of the existing fitting. The repairer has said that he might have been able to use the exisitng screw holes, but would have been worried aboult how well they would have stayed secure.

The remaining runner has pulled away from the fitting and caused a small crack.

Mr Sheens thanks for the information, do you have a website or contact number for future reference?

Regards

Trevor

We 'lost' our sun roof from our 2003 Bailey Bordeaux somewhere in Italy. Luckily on the return journey home. A call to Red Pennant gave us repair instructions to get us home, but that's another story. Upon contacting Bailey on arrival home, the manager I spoke to said, and I quote, "You wouldn't be happy if you had to pay a couple of hundred to replace it having only just bought the van, so I'll do what I've done with the others and repair it free of charge."

On the 2000 model, the opening handles had a button which had to be pushed in to be able to twist the handles. The later one hasn't. What we did notice this year was the handle moved toward the open position whilst we were travelling on the 'rougher' surfaces of the European motorway between sites. The Dealer has stiffened the handles up with blue tack.

Bailey ARE aware there have been losses of the sun roof.

Thanks for all of your replies and comments. Have been speaking to some people 'in the know' recently. This is what they have told me.

Dealers and manufacturers are aware of the issue and are making design alterations as the go.

The manufacturer would have normally replaced this under warranty (which we dont have as it is not transferable and we only go a 1 year warranty off the dealer) they would not normally admit fault, but would replace as a 'good gesture'

Dealers will not admit anything, the manufacturers would not be too happy getting a phone call from a customer saying "xyz dealer told me that this has happened before and you did something about it"

I have been watching all of the caravans I have seen as I have travelled along the M4 for the past to days looking at the positioning of thier sunroofs etc.

I also looked at the new Series 5 Pageants, their sunroofs are now further back and rotated 90 degrees and they had push button releases.

I am glad to say that the CC insurers were very helpful, hate to think how I would have been covered if I would have stayed with E&L!!!!! When I explained what happend the person on the other end was sympathetic and said that they have had other similar claims before.

Anyway, as they say alls well that ends well.

Regards

Trevor

I was on the top of the M1 yesterday morning and going in the oporsite direction there was a flat bed truck with a caravan on it also towing a caravan so obviously delivering new caravans, and the roof light was open and vertical!!!

Yes I would have thought that the airflow would push the roof light closed maybe they act like a wing and lift??

I was on the top of the M1 yesterday morning and going in the oporsite direction there was a flat bed truck with a caravan on it also towing a caravan so obviously delivering new caravans, and the roof light was open and vertical!!!

If this was round 10ish, and the van on the flatbed was the one with the roof open, I probably saw the same delivery as it was on the M62 heading towards the M1 at Leeds. I thought that someone could be in for an expensive negligabilty claim. BUT how will it have affected the 'fit' and would it cause any distortion of the roof. The proud owner of this new van may be having problems.

If this was round 10ish, and the van on the flatbed was the one with the roof open, I probably saw the same delivery as it was on the M62 heading towards the M1 at Leeds. I thought that someone could be in for an expensive negligabilty claim. BUT how will it have affected the 'fit' and would it cause any distortion of the roof. The proud owner of this new van may be having problems.

It was 09:10 I had just left the M62 and got on the M1 may be it turned arround.

It was 09:10 I had just left the M62 and got on the M1 may be it turned arround.

Your probably right on the time. We left Hull at 08:00 and the M1 is about 50 miles away.

Yes I would have thought that the airflow would push the roof light closed maybe they act like a wing and lift??

One other point that worries me here is that you say the truck was towing one van. As far as I was aware, its a really bad idea for a commercial vehicle to tow a caravan due to the rigidity of the suspension, it really hammers the A-frame. when we had our new van brought down to Winchester, I asked and was assured it would not be towed but put on the flat-bed. Perhaps we should find out more what happens to our caravans when they're delivered. It might explain a lot. ( Is that why dealers still have to fully PDI a van before its collected?)

We've managed to leave our large heki roof light unlatched twice now and still can't quite work out how it lifts up vertically. Luckily it has not caused any damage and we are a bit more careful about checking all the windows and rooflights.

Archived