Awning Advice Needed!

Wobblebox Bob

We are brand new to caravanning and have bought a Coachman Amara 640/6 (nothing like getting in the deep end!).

We have friends who have caravans and are getting conflicting advice on a much needed awning.

Some say go for a proper full awning, and others advise going for a roll out canopy that is fixed to the van and add the zip on side & front panels. I'm told that this type is far easier to set up, especially on weekends away. Heard that full awnings described as 'divorce in a bag' due to their complicated set ups. Also we've got a young family, so attention to one thing can be very interrupted. Don't know much about canopies though - if I went for a canopy system would I need a full awning too for longer holidays?

Any advice on either type would be welcomed.

We've had full awnings x3, porch awnings x3 and 3 canopies so you could say we have "been there, done that" we've settled on a Dorema Safari XL porch awning with high annex and when that's not required we have a caravanstore 440 roll out canopy. In total just over a grands worth. Every eventuality covered.

Edited by Phil O

I say - go for full or porch awning - depending on what space you want and what you can afford. I say avoid the canopies.

Just my opinion

And by the way

:welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We have both we use the small one for weekends. Anything longer we use the full size awning but we do have two large dogs so extra space is a must.

Swift Freestyle S6 TD Pulled by a Land Rover Discovery 3 or SWMBO's Freelander 2.

Hi Bob . .... we have a Sunncamp 260 Porch awning . ... which we use most of the time . .... easy to put up . ....

. ... I can do it in 10 minutes . ... on my own . ... whilst Polly take the hounds for a walk . ...

. ... and when it's nice and sunny or when we have our summer break on the continent . .. we have 330 Caravanstore . ...

We find that's a good set-up for us . ...

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

For us speed of set-up is of paramount importance, followed of course, by practical issues such as size and versatility.

Used a full awning but found we could only be bothered to put it up when stropping for at least 4 nights (some may say other lengths of stay but almost certainly no one uses a full awning for a single night!)

We have a Modus 4 metre porch awning which is sturdy, versatile and well made but again, a tad too much effort to set up if not stopping at least 2 and preferably 3 nights! This I'm selling when the season begins.

And now we are awaiting delivery of a Kampa Air Pro 390. We are happy with the size and quality. We like the design and versatility. We expect to use it for longer stays but crucially put it up if staying for more than a single night. This is, for us, the crucial issue.

We considered a sun shade for abroad but worried about strong winds which are not unknown and the odd downpour.

I guess we all make decisions based on our personal needs. Whatever you buy I hope it exactly fits the bill for you. :)

Edited by John_b_45

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Hello Bob & welcome to caravantalk,

I prefer awnings, once you've put them up a couple of times they get easier

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

:welcome: To CT

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Hi. I would not use anything that has to stay in the awning channel. But that is just me. If I were you I would get the biggest porch awning your van could take as the new ones out now are easy to put up

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

We have been using a Fiamma canopy and a full awning, Canopy for shorter stays and the full awning for more than a couple of weeks when the Fiamma was removed and stored under the van. We have become heartily sick of the full awning erection and dismantling even though we very much enjoy having the space for eating cooking and general living on long stays (4- 6 weeks in our case) but this is an age thing and probably not an issue for you so my advice would be go for the canopy and a full awning both of which you might find on ebay. To get a robust awning that attaches to a canopy you will need to spend a lot of money as we have just done on an Omnistor awning and "room"

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

It all depends on what you need the space for. If you need to feed 6 people then a table in a full sized awning is the way to go, you effectively double the floor space of your caravan. A great area for kids to play if the weather is less than perfect and in all honesty, once you assembled it a couple of times it's easy. I need. 2 people for about 5 minutes, after that I can complete it all in about 30 minutes including the mat. I'm considering getting a porch awning, just for leaving shoes and costs in etc, awnings save a lot of caravan space and are ideal for muddy shoes and wet cloths.

Ap