Caravan Club Wi Fi

jslocks

Just been to the Chapel Lane CC site of the last few days and used the new CC wi-fi. It is very good and quite fast which actually allowed streaming. There were very few of us on site so I suspect it wouldn't be quite so fast if the site was full. They have altered their charges which are much more reasonable than before. See the following. .....

2014 Wi-Fi prices

24-hour (1 day) package, £2. 50

Unlimited use of Wi-Fi within a 24-hour period (from when you first sign on) for one device at a time.
(Perfect for irregular users - users paid £5 for 5 hours in 2013)

168-hour (7 days) package, £10

Unlimited use of Wi-Fi within a 168-hour period (from when you first sign on) for one device at a time.
(Perfect for users who want on/off access - In 2013 it wasn't possible to buy a weekly Wi-Fi access package!)

12-month package, £25

Unlimited use across all Club sites with Wi-Fi available for 12 months.
(Users previously could only purchase a 20 hour or 100 hour timecode in 2013)

Wi-Fi can only be purchased when you are at a Club site that offers Wi-Fi, it cannot be purchased from The Caravan website in advance.

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/uk-holidays/advice-and-information/wi-fi

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Sorry, Jslocks, but I disagree about 'reasonable' charges.

The previous system was fair, in that you paid for what you got, ie you bought x amount of time, and when that ran out you bought some more . .. simples. Now you pay £2. 50, spend 10 minutes checking your email, facebook, or whatever . .. and that's it . .. the rest of the fee is lost!

Obviously they realised that copying the C&CC system made more money for them.

John

Sorry, Jslocks, but I disagree about 'reasonable' charges.

The previous system was fair, in that you paid for what you got, ie you bought x amount of time, and when that ran out you bought some more . .. simples. Now you pay £2. 50, spend 10 minutes checking your email, facebook, or whatever . .. and that's it . .. the rest of the fee is lost!

Obviously they realised that copying the C&CC system made more money for them.

John

It depends how much you use the system. We like to read the papers and my wife downloads the Times everyday as she has a subscription. We have '3' dongle but for 7 days it works out about the same cost. I agree if you just want to look at emails then it is expensive so use your phone. I sat and watched Silent Witness which I had missed so we got our money worth. Somebody has to pay for the system and those of us who want to use it should pay for it rather than take it from membership fees.

If the weather is good then we don't bother but when it is cold and wet then it is very useful.

Edited by Jslocks

John

I think £25 for the year is good value and would be our option.

Good weather or not we always use it for the news, emails, researching the local area and places to visit, walks, weather and tides.

So worth the money for us.

Edited by Gaz40

I paid my £25 for a years access when at Broadway CC site. Found it quite fast for downloading the Telegraph in the morning.

It was better than the previous system, and the price for a years access is very fair!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

The Club can't win on this one. Much of the feedback on the Club Forum was against the previous system so the Club have reacted to that feed back by introducing the new system. I think the only thing missing is a weekend rate but that might be deliberate to try and ration use at the busiest times. For low users I would have thought a combination of a smart phone and laptop/tablet would be an alternative worth investigating.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I think its an excellent system now, £25 for the year, no more than a cheap meal out or 2.

I've forgotten how many times I forgot to logout and lost the balance on my card. They're not going to sell many papers in the site shop now tho !!

Sounds like the new system is a winner and a reasonable price . Let hope it holds up when the sites are full .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Certainly lots cheaper than annual costs on a mifi Dongle. .....I used to get my Daily Telegraph, when cruising, on my Kindle which, apart from the newspaper subscription, was free.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I agree if you just want to look at emails then it is expensive so use your phone.

I'd like to meet the person who can get emails on a 10-year old Nokia!

Somebody has to pay for the system and those of us who want to use it should pay for it rather than take it from membership fees.

Agreed, but that'll be me and all the other "small" users who are paying for the others who are streaming videos and TV.

For low users I would have thought a combination of a smart phone and laptop/tablet would be an alternative worth investigating.

??? At the cost of a smart phone and it's contract ???

I've forgotten how many times I forgot to logout and lost the balance on my card.

Even at my age I can remember to log-off if it's going to cost me money - I never found that was the slightest bother!

I'd like to meet the person who can get emails on a 10-year old Nokia!

Buy a new phone then if you don't like the wi fi costings. Some people will moan about everything!!!!! :angry:

You can get a cheap Smartphone on ebay for a song these days!

Look here

Pay as you go and your away!!!

Edited by Jslocks

John

Buy a new phone then if you don't like the wi fi costings. Some people will moan about everything!!!!! :angry:

Look here

Woooow, someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!

About 6 months ago I bought a small tablet especially to use when away on CC sites, to take advantage of the excellent and reasonable system that they had going at the time . .. but they changed it . .. and I was having a little grumble about that specific change . .. hardly "everything", is it?

And, I don't have the money for a smartphone, especially a make I've never heard of (that's not a moan, just stating a fact)

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Woooow, someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!

About 6 months ago I bought a small tablet especially to use when away on CC sites, to take advantage of the excellent and reasonable system that they had going at the time . .. but they changed it . .. and I was having a little grumble about that specific change . .. hardly "everything", is it?

And, I don't have the money for a smartphone, especially a make I've never heard of (that's not a moan, just stating a fact)

John

Ah well you can't please everyone! :)

I bought my wife a phone I had never heard of 3 years ago. Still going strong.

John

Look here

The phone costs as much ad 2 years cc usage and then you have the data charges on the phone to pay for as well. Plus of course many many sites are in places where 3g just does not work.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

At £25 per year not as cheap as my annual usage of my vodaphone dongle over a 100+ nights away. But then I am not a heavy user in that I don't download music, films or TV. However at that price if I could not get a decent vodaphone signal and wanted to use it I would consider it reasonable for 12 months with my dongle as back up.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I'm currently using it at Castleton having just paid £25 for the year. We're quite heavy users so for us it's a good deal.

The speed is more than acceptable, even at the peak 5-6 pm time it wasn't much slower

I think £25 for a year excellent. Chuffed to bits the club has responded to the membership. I don't download but use the Internet for work email, walks and weather forecast as we tend to holiday off season.

Happy camper ps good for skype when normal phone is us :D

Edited by PaulR

IMO the concept of Wifi on club sites is spoiled by a small minority who hog the limited bandwidth by downloading films and on line tv. I very rarely use CC Wifi because of that very reason. I always take a tablet and a smartphone and never have any difficulty in accessing the net by other means.

Edited by bessacarr425

I think the pricing is good, but I'm afraid that the system will be hogged by those who feel that as they've paid, they'll just download and stream because they can. The service will suffer as a result.

A similar attitude to those who use as much electricity as possible because it's paid for.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

£25 seems (to me) a fair price as longs as the infrastructure holds up. .. Certainly worth a punt for 12 months to see how it goes. ...

2004 Land Rover Discovery & 2011 Bailey Pegasus Bologna

IMO the concept of Wifi on club sites is spoiled by a small minority who hog the limited bandwidth by downloading films and on line tv. I very rarely use CC Wifi because of that very reason. I always take a tablet and a smartphone and never have any difficulty in accessing the net by other means.

Colour me thick on this subject but could not the system 'equalise' bandwidth across all users which would then probably mean the hogs would get fed up of buffering and use it properly!

Sam :beardy: