Hi, Thinking of leaving ( the large&heavy) laptop at home and going the tablet route. However the tablets i have looked at are all wifi- no dongles. It has been suggested i buy a Huawei E5332 ( unlocked ) and use my "T" mobile card from my dongle in it. Having looked at the Argos one and the users reviews it seems that its 50/50 on reliability & use. So is any one using one "in the field" and how has it performed ( or not )

david 1220

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar problem when I bought my KOBO, no mobile internet. What I did, was to set my mobile as a portable hotspot using a tethering widget. What this basically means is that I downloaded a piece of software for my phone called a tethering widget. When this is running it effectively turns my phone into a wireless router, meaning I can connect my KOBO wirelessly to my phone, and surf the internet using my phones 3G connection.

I use a '3' PAYG Mifi device. I can't remember the model beyond Huawei (it's in the 'van) but it allows up to five devices to be simultaneously connected.

Works well enough for us with an iPhone and an iPad each plus a Kindle connecting from time to time to buy a new book. It is of course subject to the same vagaries of signal strength as mobile phones.

Some tablets are wifi and cellular.

Hi David, I've been using one since September and its been excellent, will receive a signal when the phone 3G is dubious so it seems to have a better reception capability than a phone or dongle.

Be careful with tethering as there can be additional charges depending 4658582583492107 your provider/contract. I can use my iphone for tethering which is what I do if I take the iPad out and about, the huawei stays in the van all the time (no good reason why it just does!)

I bought mine from amazon for 49. 99 unlocked, I have tended to use three mobile data sims at £20 for 3gb. They last me about 3-4 weeks but it will depend on the individual obviously. The signal on three has been good down here in cornwall and their coverage map seems to be accurate.

Nice thing as well is you can connect multiple items, we have 2 iPhones and iPad and an iMac connected and it works well. You can save a good deal by buying a wifi only tablet as well

Hope this helps.

I sometimes use my HTC phone as a WiFi point. Very easy to set up via the menu. It allows Margaret to download to her Kindle and me to use my netbook.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Have had a 5332 since Spring 2013. Absolutely delighted and it has been totally reliable. Seems to pick up signals well though it has the advantage of having a socket for an external aerial. I bought an aerial but so far haven't needed to use it. Always managed to get good reception and we run a laptop and tablet (sometimes 2 tablets). Use a 3 sim not on contract which often seems better for reception than on our EE mobiles. Battery life pretty good but when possible we use the power adapter.

MiFi user here - with THREE - works a treat, UK and Italy, Austria, Ireland etc too!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I have a '3' mifi device which has been in use for four years, now on a contract. BUT have taken it cruising with me and only in Gibraltar and Toulon did it work. ............things may have improved since then. ..but I resorted to using my Kindle 3G with keyboard everywhere apart from Russia, free.;

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi,

Thanks for all your reply's - the tethered phone idea is a non starter--- take too much coal ! If you look at Argos's Huawei E5332 and go to the feedback a number of people condemn them as utter rubbish. I was thinking of the unlocked one thus allowing me to chop& change network . I have looked at the Ariel for this unit as having a dongle at the moment and in the event of a poor signal have put the dongle on a 6ft lead and ( if not raining ) put it on the roof and found though its only raised 4ft the improvement in signal strength has been worth it.

SO thanks to you all for taking the time to answer.

david 1220

Hi,

Thanks for all your reply's - the tethered phone idea is a non starter--- take too much coal ! If you look at Argos's Huawei E5332 and go to the feedback a number of people condemn them as utter rubbish. I was thinking of the unlocked one thus allowing me to chop& change network . I have looked at the Ariel for this unit as having a dongle at the moment and in the event of a poor signal have put the dongle on a 6ft lead and ( if not raining ) put it on the roof and found though its only raised 4ft the improvement in signal strength has been worth it.

SO thanks to you all for taking the time to answer.

david 1220

Huawei E586e with OLED display panel. ...excellent piece of kit.

I use T-Mobile payg sim which doesn't expire just top up as needed to get £2 - 24hr -250 Gb or £5 - 7days - 500 mB or £10 - 30days - 1 Gb

In case of reception problems I also have Three payg data sim (the phone sim is blocked by Three for data use). These have a 1Gb - 30 day limit or 3Gb - 90 day limit.

Hi bejay,

​Sorry to say the tablet ( now ordered ) does not support the E586 e , thanks david

Hi bejay,

​Sorry to say the tablet ( now ordered ) does not support the E586 e , thanks david

Why not? The Huawei if a wifi unit with no direct connection to the tablet.

If the tablet has wifi then the Huawei can be used with it.

Hi, i was going on what the tablet maker& seller stated.

david

If the tablet is wifi it will work with a mifi kit as it is just a wifi signal as in any other you use in cafes etc.

The 586 works with anything. It just produces a wi fi signal. Works on our two iPads.

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Hi, i was going on what the tablet maker& seller stated.

david

David

Which tablet have you ordered cos I cannot find any on the market that do not have wifi

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:

hi,

well the unit i ordered MiFi has arrived. the tablet is wifi enabled( i am useing it to send this )the thing is the unit i bought comes with an ariel for placingon the roofin the event of a weak signal ( quite common in the places we go to )so now set up ( we hope ! )

david

hi,

well the unit i ordered MiFi has arrived. the tablet is wifi enabled( i am useing it to send this )the thing is the unit i bought comes with an ariel for placingon the roofin the event of a weak signal ( quite common in the places we go to )so now set up ( we hope ! )

david

Excellent.

Sam :beardy:

hi,

david

What exactly have you bought? It sounds more like a wifi booster for amplifiing weak wifi reception.

Hi Beejay,

Bought this,-http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/310674848323?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984. m1439. l2648

just tried it ( without the Ariel ) got a 1 bar improvement over the plug in dongle i use to use. Can now use both wifes tablet & mine at same time.

david

Edited by david 1220

Hi Beejay,

Bought this,-http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/310674848323?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984. m1439. l2648

just tried it ( without the Ariel ) got a 1 bar improvement over the plug in dongle i use to use. Can now use both wifes tablet & mine at same time.

david

That seems ok and the extension dongle would appear to be a bonus. Happy surfing.

Hi Pagan, well we are due at our D. A. meet/A. G. M. next weeekend-- will test it then, just think-- could set up a wifi hot spot for all !

david

Hi Pagan, well we are due at our D. A. meet/A. G. M. next weeekend-- will test it then, just think-- could set up a wifi hot spot for all !

david

May be a bit ambitious but you never know. I have used mine in the house and it gives quite a strong signal.

Hi Beejay,

david

That Huawei is very similar to the E586 and operates in the same way. It is now clear why you mentioned 'aerial' as you bought the two items as a package.

Thanks to everyone's input in this thread and the other MiFi thread, we have just ordered the Huawei E5332 from Amazon and the Three 3Gb 90 day data sim (now £20 !!! ;) ). The thread about tethering too was very informative and cleared up a lot of misconceptions we had. We are very new to all this mobile internet malarkey but hubby has just bought our first smart phone (a Motorola) ! We will be using our lap top for surfing while we are away so the Huawei will be very useful ! Roll on our first test weekend !

Thanks again everyone :) .

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.