New Quasar Layout

Steamdrivenandy

I see from the Lunar ad in Feb's CC Mag. (pages 44 & 45) that the new Quasar mentioned in Lunar's Christmas bulletin is called the 525.

Only a rather small layout drawing to go by, but it looks like 5ft 6ins benches up front and 5ft up the back with a fold down full width bunk across the back wall. So a rather unusual layout 5 berther with central kitchen and washroom. Basically a truncated 556 (dropped last Autumn) with shorter rear beds and one bunk across, rather than two bunks lengthways. I guess it'll come in at 23ft long, rather than the 556's 24ft 1ins.

Still a shame that they dropped the 556 which was one of the very few vans on the market that had benches that could fit a 6ft 3ins person in a single bed with room to spare.

No sign of the German based motorhome/camper that they mentioned in the same bulletin.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I see from the Lunar ad in Feb's CC Mag. (pages 44 & 45) that the new Quasar mentioned in Lunar's Christmas bulletin is called the 525.

Only a rather small layout drawing to go by, but it looks like 5ft 6ins benches up front and 5ft up the back with a fold down full width bunk across the back wall. So a rather unusual layout 5 berther with central kitchen and washroom. Basically a truncated 556 (dropped last Autumn) with shorter rear beds and one bunk across, rather than two bunks lengthways. I guess it'll come in at 23ft long, rather than the 556's 24ft 1ins.

Still a shame that they dropped the 556 which was one of the very few vans on the market that had benches that could fit a 6ft 3ins person in a single bed with room to spare.

No sign of the German based motorhome/camper that they mentioned in the same bulletin.

The 525 is an older layout that has been reintroduced after a couple of missing years. I think the layout was more common a while ago, but is quite practical for a family. We went for the 524 which has a better bathroom and with only 1 child suited us better, though the 525 would work better for 2 children I think.

Ford Mondeo 2. 0 TDCI Zetec estate and Lunar Quasar 524

There's a few earlier 525s being offered at dealers with the youngest I could find being 2011. I presume the idea of the bunk across the back is when it's used as three single berths. It'd be rather odd if you made a double bed up the back AND a bunk.

The washroom and kitchen look just like an older version of ours.

I have a 525, 2010 model. From looking at the pictures on the CC magazine the layout is exactly the same as mine. Very practical layout if I say so. Two lounges during the day and sleeps four comfortably at night. It's really only a four berth as the fifth can only be used for a small child.

Anton

Edited by Anton88

Anton

Rather like the fourth berth on our van, a folding bunk across the rear, but in our case it fits above the single dinette rather than two single benches/double bed as in the 525.

I've built our bunk once, just so I know how it goes, but I doubt it will ever get used.

My parents had the very same layout as the 525 many years ago on their new 1993 Lunar Jupiter, great layout for 2 as well as families as the rear dinette could be left in the bed position and there was also wooden sliding doors across the rear bedroom/dinette none of these flimsy concertina doors! Good to see this tried and tested layout back. As we only tour as a couple we would probably consider the 524 layout though as we prefer a rear washroom and the side dinette is a perfect size for the two of us when dining.

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

The problem with the 524, and most of the other Lunars and most other makes as well is that apart from making up the lounge double there isn't a bed to comfortably fit anyone over 6ft tall. Our 464, the tiniest 4 berth Lunar, has a 6ft 8ins rear single dinette, whereas the 524s is less than 6ft long.