How Caravan Dealers Sell

WispMan

It is interesting how dealers decide to go about selling their vans. I have experience of only two main dealers who I won't name but have totally different ideas on selling.

I'm interested how other dealers elsewhere work.

DEALER A

Leaves all caravans unlocked and with steps. Anyone can walk around (unbothered by any sales staff) and go in any van from brand new stock to the vans hidden away at the back of the premises selling for peanuts.

All vans have a sales sheet in the window with basic details of price etc.

You are never approached by any staff. All cooker knobs are removed as people tend to pinch them!

When you've decided what you want, you go to the sales office, sit down and negotiate etc.

DEALER B

All vans on display with just the prices in the window. All locked.

To see inside, you go to the sales office, and a salesman comes out with the keys and stays with you whilst the two of you discuss how you'd live in the van. You wish he would go away.

We've only bought from Dealer A as it is just a lovely way to purchase a van. Even now, if we are bored on a Sunday afternoon, we will go along there just to walk around, sit down in the vans and imagine whether we would buy another one.

So, your local dealers - Are they Dealer A or Dealer B or is there a third way?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

My experience of dealers is slightly different. Vans are locked - seems a good idea. I would go to the sales office, tell them the vans I was interested and they give me the keys. Me and OH go inside a van, lock the door and trial the seating, also shoes off feet up. Where is everything situated, is the under seat storage accessible etc. No salesman unless asked for, no one else wandering in. Seems the best way for me.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I think dealer B wants customers to make contact with their sales people to ask for the keys and the sales people can get to work on them. It is similar to car dealers who cover the number plates so you need to go to the sales people to find out the year. Give me dealer A any day,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

we are very much like dealer A, though we wouldn't leave you to it, we always make our faces known and that we are around if any help is needed, but we are in no way pushy.

We try to leave the vans as complete as possible, though over the time we have found more and more bits going missing, so we always remove the following items;

shower head and hose, microwave plate, sink cover and removable draining board, clock and radio front.

though this doesn't stop other things going missing, but we think that customers would less inclined to come and ask to see something if the vans are all locked, where as if they have the freedom to roam they can view at their leisure and makes for a more relax purchase IMO

Edited by Caravantech

we are very much like dealer A, though we wouldn't leave you to it, we always make our faces known and that we are around if any help is needed, but we are in no way pushy.

We try to leave the vans as complete as possible, though over the time we have found more and more bits going missing, so we always remove the following items;

shower head and hose, microwave plate, sink cover and removable draining board, clock and radio front.

though this doesn't stop other things going missing, but we think that customers would less inclined to come and ask to see something if the vans are all locked, where as if they have the freedom to roam they can view at their leisure and makes for a more relax purchase IMO

:goodpost: Dealer A for me, if the vans are locked then so is my wallet.

It is interesting how dealers decide to go about selling their vans. I have experience of only two main dealers who I won't name but have totally different ideas on selling.

I'm interested how other dealers elsewhere work.

DEALER A

Leaves all caravans unlocked and with steps. Anyone can walk around (unbothered by any sales staff) and go in any van from brand new stock to the vans hidden away at the back of the premises selling for peanuts.

All vans have a sales sheet in the window with basic details of price etc.

You are never approached by any staff. All cooker knobs are removed as people tend to pinch them!

When you've decided what you want, you go to the sales office, sit down and negotiate etc.

DEALER B

All vans on display with just the prices in the window. All locked.

To see inside, you go to the sales office, and a salesman comes out with the keys and stays with you whilst the two of you discuss how you'd live in the van. You wish he would go away.

We've only bought from Dealer A as it is just a lovely way to purchase a van. Even now, if we are bored on a Sunday afternoon, we will go along there just to walk around, sit down in the vans and imagine whether we would buy another one.

So, your local dealers - Are they Dealer A or Dealer B or is there a third way?

WispMan, your descriptions are so accurate of my two local dealers that I had to check you profile to see if you lived near me!

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

+1. Every time. If vans are locked I don't return to that dealer. A for me.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

When I check a van out I want it to myself and OH - no one else nosing in

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

It is one of our biggest bugbears when going to buy a car or caravan when you have the salesman following your round and telling you what a great car/caravan it is and what a bargain, probably the best deal on the forecourt.

All we want is to have time on our own to look over the car/caravan at our leisure and we will decide if it is the bargain or not, so dealer A for us.

Our dealer where we bought our unicorn from was a bit of A and B, he unlocked the caravan but after a couple of minutes he wandered off and left us to it.

Dealer A. .. I walk away from the 'B's :)

I would agree about things going missing though, I have walked around vans with LED light units missing and water pumps removed :o

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Just brought 'van back from a service and took the opportunity to have a wander around the premises. Not seriously interested in changing the 'van but certainly interested in looking at new models and different layouts! Daydreaming with intent! ;)

All 'vans are locked and it would have taken a walk back to the shop to find a salesperson to open the 'vans.

That may be fine if I was seriously looking but this was browsing. I would probably have a fair idea of what I was looking for and able to narrow it down to say 3 different 'vans. Of course I peered through a few wet windows and read a few specs. but that was all.

The current 'van was bought on a browsing visit and I'm sure others have done the same - not impulse purchase but pretty close to it I guess! Suppose I had found a salesperson. Would s/he be happy to wander around the yard opening caravans I thought interesting but unlikely to buy! Not likely I think.

So off I went with the 'van in tow and it's just possible I might have been returning with my wife had I been able to "browse". Yes, the stealing goes on and that's sad but as pointed out above it's possible to remove the obvious bits and accept the odd loss for possibly increased sales.

I'm sure WispMan is not alone in "Sunday afternoon casual viewing visits".

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Suppose I had found a salesperson. Would s/he be happy to wander around the yard opening caravans I thought interesting but unlikely to buy! Not likely I think.

The dealers near me (3) all give you the keys on request and leave you to it.

Alan

When I check a van out I want it to myself and OH - no one else nosing in

That doesn't stop me doing it with dealer A. Did that with the current van, but as they couldn't get close to the price I wanted I walked away. I then haggled over the phone with 2 other dealers and got the price I needed. Went back to original dealer, who refused to budge, so went to the one with the best price just 20miles further down the road.

About a month later original dealer called me back (our usual salesman we dealt with previously), and they were gutted that the other salesman refused to budge, as he confirmed that he would have matched the price too.

If it was B I would have walked away

Although ours was a motor caravan, (dealer does both), I was impressed by the way we were shown the vehicle we had gone to see, given basic info. re. fittings,etc. , then left to have a think by ourselves. The salesman even suggested a good nearby pub for lunch while we thought! Helpful, available, but not pushy.

The dealers (part of a national chain) have a system whereby you can ask for a vehicle on sale in any of their depots to be brought to your chosen one to have a look. There is a £40. 00 deposit for this. ...but it is refundable as long as you just turn up! We did, we liked, we bought. Well done Marquis!

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

My experience of dealers is slightly different. Vans are locked - seems a good idea. I would go to the sales office, tell them the vans I was interested and they give me the keys. Me and OH go inside a van, lock the door and trial the seating, also shoes off feet up. Where is everything situated, is the under seat storage accessible etc. No salesman unless asked for, no one else wandering in. Seems the best way for me.

Ours are dealer "C" too,

If you're interested they open the van and walk away, they pop back after 10 mins and ask if you want any help or have any questions.

Our other local one has just been took over by Marquis so thats a pass, I'll find out later

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Ours are dealer A. It was great to be able to look inside all and compare layouts etc. We bought ours because of this nice easy deal too! Cant stand pushy hard sell or keep asking for keys.

Hi

We are like Dealer A although we would also offer help and make sure the customers knows to ask if they would like any assistance.

Regards

Vicky

post-38857-0-87830300-1351008423_thumb.jpg
www.leisureworldgroup.com
post-38857-0-37340800-1349458087_thumb.jpg

"A Family Firm with Family Values"

Winner of the 2012 Caravan Talk Best Dealer Award

Regional and Overall Winner of the Practical Caravan Dealer of the Year 2011

Winner of the 2012 Caravan Times Reader Award for the Most Popular Caravan Dealership

ours was a cross between the 2. We told them price we were looking up to and what type of van we were interested in, they unlocked suitable and not so suitable vans, gave us a quick show around and then left us free to walk around the vans. We bought from them as they had something that suited our needs (we were able to take a fabric dog crate along and try it out in all vans) and they were not pushy. We just went back to the office when we were ready.

We arrived early in the morning so not sure what they usually do. Some of the other vans were already unlocked. I found this works well for me as I don't have to hunt around for the caravans in budget and I know someone is there if I have any questions.

Dealer A. .. I walk away from the 'B's :)

I would agree about things going missing though, I have walked around vans with LED light units missing and water pumps removed :o

I visited a dealer in this area last year who had, that day, taps removed from a new 'van and the previous week the seat off a toilet! I also went into a 'van at Manchester Show where someone had just used the toilet in a display model. .......which didn't have a cassette installed!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I visited a dealer in this area last year who had, that day, taps removed from a new 'van and the previous week the seat off a toilet! I also went into a 'van at Manchester Show where someone had just used the toilet in a display model. .......which didn't have a cassette installed!

geoff

Lovely Geoff! We've had the toilets used at Catterick too . .. and probably Tyneside and Ebor. I do think that it is usually the children when they're looking at the vans on their own!

V

post-38857-0-87830300-1351008423_thumb.jpg
www.leisureworldgroup.com
post-38857-0-37340800-1349458087_thumb.jpg

"A Family Firm with Family Values"

Winner of the 2012 Caravan Talk Best Dealer Award

Regional and Overall Winner of the Practical Caravan Dealer of the Year 2011

Winner of the 2012 Caravan Times Reader Award for the Most Popular Caravan Dealership

Always buy and sell privately as i've never had a dealers van (New). I was a trained salesman in a previous life and this is how i treat prospective punters.

On their arrival, i unlock van and ask them to go inside. I go in and point out all the features then say that i will leave them alone for a while and feel free to test / examine the van as they see fit. If they require any information then come and get me from garage or advise me that they are leaving.

This way i feel that i have shown them the basics without interfering and i honestly think this attitude has paid off for me.

There when your needed and not when your not!!!!

I can understand why they are locked,a friend works at a dealers and told me about some of the stuff that gets stolen, its amazing what "people" will pinch but the worst is when they use the toilet. ...and not for a leak!!!!!!

I aint getting on no plane. ....FOOL !!!

Eterniti Genisis IB4 behind a VW Amarok