Cover Whilst Towing

Timanita

Hi, all

Just had the towbar fitted, so I've done as suggested and cleaned all the paint off the bar,all nice and shiney now. ....there seems to be a lot of comments about keeping the ball clean and free of grease so the IDC will work properly, surely when actually towing the water and muck will get flung up at the rear of the car and get into the hitch/ball socket causing the IDC to malfunction. ......

If that's the case is there a cover to use when ACTUALLY on the road so that doesn't happen. ...?

Thanks

Tim

Hi, all

Just had the towbar fitted, so I've done as suggested and cleaned all the paint off the bar,all nice and shiney now. ....there seems to be a lot of comments about keeping the ball clean and free of grease so the IDC will work properly, surely when actually towing the water and muck will get flung up at the rear of the car and get into the hitch/ball socket causing the IDC to malfunction. ......

If that's the case is there a cover to use when ACTUALLY on the road so that doesn't happen. ...?

Thanks

Tim

That should have been paint off the ball. ..not bar. ...

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

no cover is needed or required however it is worth while to keep a can of brake cleaner to give the ball and socket a clean after each trip. just squirt on and wipe off with very clean lint free cloth. I then squirt water to rinse.

keeping the ball clean and free of grease so the IDC will work properly

. . should be free of grease so that the friction pads can grip the ball. This applies whether or not you have IDC fitted.

Sam :beardy:

. . should be free of grease so that the friction pads can grip the ball. This applies whether or not you have IDC fitted.

Oh I thought the friction pads where only for the electronic bit, and the pads used the friction to tell the brain what to do. ..?

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

no cover is needed or required however it is worth while to keep a can of brake cleaner to give the ball and socket a clean after each trip. just squirt on and wipe off with very clean lint free cloth. I then squirt water to rinse.

Why squirt it with water, That will help create rust forming, which starts very soon on a nice shinny towball.

I have always cleaned my ball and alko pads with brake cleaner and a cloth.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Just a wipe over with methylated spirits before hitching up will do the job.

Land Rover is now back towing.

The reason for the water spray is to remove any dust that remains in the Alko head and loose debris of course. Whilst the brake cleaner does not in theory need rinsing off I do it whilst I have the bottle in my hand to remove any remaining residue from the cleaner itself.

The reason for the water spray is to remove any dust that remains in the Alko head and loose debris of course. Whilst the brake cleaner does not in theory need rinsing off I do it whilst I have the bottle in my hand to remove any remaining residue from the cleaner itself.

Once you have used the brake cleaner there is no need for water. The brake cleaner alone will remove any dirt/debris/dust, that's why its used on cleaning out brake drums and linings. Trust me no need for the water spray, but that's your choice. Google how to use brake cleaner if you don't believe me.( been in the trade for 32 years) Edited by The Waltons

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.