Towing Over 100%

Woodie106

Again I'm starting a thread thats not strictly about caravanning, but saw something yesterday that got me thinking.

A range rover pulled up alongside me yesterday at a set of lights. He was towing a car trailer that had upon it an identical range rover. Both were the L322 type. the tow vehicle was a diesel & it did chuck out a bit of the old black stuff from the exhaust as he pulled away.

Now, i realise this isn't a caravan issue & towing cars might have different rules & i'm sure he wasn't breaking any laws, but the combination of range rover + trailer - which must come in at a fair few hundred kilos - must put him well over the 100% mark. I'm not sure what the towing limit on an L322 is, but he must have been upwards of 3 ton combined car & trailer weight.

just one to ponder on a dull friday :blink:

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Many modern vehicles are designed to tow well over their own weight

The difference for caravans is because they are big empty 'balloons'

Within the limitations of your driving licence restrictions as to permitted category, you can tow up to the gross train weight of the car, taking into consideration the manufacturers declare maximum towing capacity.

The main issue I think would be stability of the outfit and safety of the load.

The 85 & 100% guideline with caravans is about tugging a slab sided tin box

Providing you don't exceed your gross train weight you would be legal. HGVs wouldn't exist if there was a 100% matching rule at the end of the day!

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Here in the Lakes, I regularly see cars towing trailers with enormous boats on them and wonder like Woodie has.

At least the caravanning hobby has some guidelines and advice about what is advisable to do.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

85% or 100% is only a recommendation. Range Rovers - indeed most Land Rovers including my Discovery have a maximum towing limit of 3. 5 tons. Whether I would be happy doing this on a long journey is another matter

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

The only issue would of been if he held the correct licence and if the vehicle needed a Tacho . Towing trailers over 100% is different to towing a caravan they behave totally different . A few of my trailers MAM is over 100% the vehicles Kerbweight . and I often tow over 1005 and would not even give it a second thought which is totally opposite to towing my caravan .

When I tow my boats the handling is different again due to the wheels set further back .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

There is nothing wrong with towing over 100% provided you do not exceed any of the plated weights. A caravan is different to most trailers in that it is high sided with a high centre of gravity and more susceptible to side winds and bow waves from passing trucks and coaches. Hence the recommendation for a caravan only is 85% for an inexperienced tower and not to exceed 100% for anyone else.

Brian

Friend of a friend has a 25' cabin cruiser and he reckons it weighs in excess of 5000lbs, and a 40' one could be 20000lb plus depending on type of engines etc. ......add a trailer to that lot. ........weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We've trailered both a Scimitar GTE and a Lotus Elite behind our Bongo and as it coped admirably with both, we thought that it wouldn't be a problem towing a caravan. The poor old boy doesn't like towing the caravan very much, even though it's undoubtedly lighter than the cars. It's only really a question of getting very hot and bothered with the caravan, but there is clearly a difference between towing a trailered car and towing a big box (or there is if you're a fifteen year old Mazda Bongo!!!).

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

I'm going to look at a twin axle Inos caravan. MTPLM is about 2500 kgs, the maker uses a VW Tiguan to tow the demonstrator. Caravan magazine did a road test using a Pathfinder which they said was perfect. Both these vehicles have kerbweight around the 2150 kg mark, similar to my D Max.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

The Discovery has a gross vehicle weight of 3. 2 tonnes and a gross train weight of 6. 7 tonnes.

The Disco 4 has Trailer Stability Assist, which monitors the behaviour of the trailer and manages the tow car's braking.

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=5gyc4Dmgbew

Land Rover is now back towing.

I always understood that the 85% guideline, when derived, related to the combinations ability to do a specified inclination hill start, not how stable it was when towing on the flat. ...although that has an obvious relevance.

I'm going to look at a twin axle Inos caravan. MTPLM is about 2500 kgs, the maker uses a VW Tiguan to tow the demonstrator. Caravan magazine did a road test using a Pathfinder which they said was perfect. Both these vehicles have kerbweight around the 2150 kg mark, similar to my D Max.

I don't think you meant to say the Tig was around 2150kg?

I always understood that the 85% guideline, when derived, related to the combinations ability to do a specified inclination hill start, not how stable it was when towing on the flat. ...although that has an obvious relevance.

Wasn't the recommendation 75% back then?

Its manufactures tests for max tow weight that uses the 12% pull off method.

I can only remember the 85% relating to MTPLM, but perhaps I'm younger?

Edited by xtrailman

I don't think you meant to say the Tig was around 2150kg?

Wasn't the recommendation 75% back then?

Its manufactures tests for max tow weight that uses the 12% pull off method.

I can only remember the 85% relating to MTPLM, but perhaps I'm younger?

Maybe it was a Touareg?

It's the the towing capacity of the vehicle that is based on the ability to restart on a 1 in 8 hill. On this basis the tow capacity of many vehicles is over 100%.

The 85% guideline is for caravans primarily for stability.

Brian

I've towed a few car trailers in the past & to be honest i've never given the weight of them any thought as the cars were always smaller than the tow vehicle.

Judging by the amount of smoke emitting from the towing range rovers exhaust when he pulled away, quite slowly i might add, this rangey didn't look too comfortable pulling that weight, but it might just be in need of a bit of TLC - or a new injector or 2 ;)

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I've towed a few car trailers in the past & to be honest i've never given the weight of them any thought as the cars were always smaller than the tow vehicle.

Judging by the amount of smoke emitting from the towing range rovers exhaust when he pulled away, quite slowly i might add, this rangey didn't look too comfortable pulling that weight, but it might just be in need of a bit of TLC - or a new injector or 2 ;)

When towing for work, I regularly tow between 3500kg and 4000kg with my Defender. The kerb weight of my 110 is around 2300kg and has a max gross weight of 3500kg, and a max train weight of 7500kg. It is rated to tow 400kg as I have a hydraulic braking system added for hydraulically braked trailers. I usually tow with a NATO type towing jaw rated at 7500kg. The trailers I tow vary from small Sankey trailers at 1200kg to horse/livestock trailers up to 3500kg to heavy plant and logging trailers up to 4000kg.

When towing for work, I regularly tow between 3500kg and 4000kg with my Defender. The kerb weight of my 110 is around 2300kg and has a max gross weight of 3500kg, and a max train weight of 7500kg. It is rated to tow 400kg as I have a hydraulic braking system added for hydraulically braked trailers. I usually tow with a NATO type towing jaw rated at 7500kg. The trailers I tow vary from small Sankey trailers at 1200kg to horse/livestock trailers up to 3500kg to heavy plant and logging trailers up to 4000kg.

Hope you never get pulled, the very max you can tow is 3500kgs with overrun brakes so your Gross train weight is 7000kgs

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hope you never get pulled, the very max you can tow is 3500kgs with overrun brakes so your Gross train weight is 7000kgs

Read my post again. My Landy is fitted with a hydraulic braking system for coupled trailers.

OVER 100% NO PROBLEMS

Edited by kobelcokid

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%