Vauxhall Insignia Estate Country Tourer

Tandem Man

Does anyone tow or otherwise drive one of these ?

I have read a review in the Towcar review section of the Insignia Estate but that wasn't the Country Tourer ( although there is not a lot of difference I don't suppose ).

Rather like the 100,000 mile warranty ( which on our present mileage could last ten years ),the spec and the "reasonable" price and the fact they have 0% finance at the minute.

I did also wonder about the viability of Vauxhall as a company after reading recently that they weren't doing too well.

Ian

Just had a quick look at the specs not much difference from the top sports toures except a few extra gadgets like heated seering wheel and the 4x4 and it comes only with the existing larger 163ps or new 195 ps engines so plenty of grunt. Solo I get 40mpg on average with 6 miles of any journey on 70 mph duel carriageway and I don't hang about. The towing pack consisted of the factory fit fold away towbar tucks nicely under the car,self leveling suspension and full 13 pin electrics. Towing wise not sure of the new version but the last edition had a 1600 kg limit except for the 4x4 our Auto pulls 1500kg great and I prefer it to the freelander even though that has a lot lower down power. I get about 25 towing at the speed limit with most of our journeys on motorway or duel carriageway on cruise control and other than a recall for a software update no problems at all. I have had 3 vauxhalls in the last 14 years with no problems on any of them, not heard of any thing regarding financial state but our local dealer had 12 new astra estates unloaded the other day when we passed. The news said the other day uk new car sales are up in volume but 80% are exports which Vauxhall don't do as Opel have the market abroad. I would consider going for another Insignia next year when I change cars which would be the first time I have gone for the same car when changing.

Dave

The FlexRide and 4 wheel drive on the Insignia is stunning. I can honestly say it's the best handling car I've ever driven. It even got me up into the Cambrian mountains on country lanes covered in 6" of snow to rescue friends that were snowed in!

On the down side, the FlexRide parts are expensive. Mine failed it's 2nd MOT on a leaking shock absorber. Being computer controlled they're (from memory) about £300 plus VAT. I was very glad of my extended warranty that day!!

2007 Bailey Pageant Burgundy S6. 2009 Insignia Elite 2. 0 petrol turbo 4x4 - pulls like a train but guzzles juice!

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Glad to see that the 13-pin electrics are fully wired after some of the wiring horror stories one reads about.

One thing I particularly liked in the Country Tourer spec. is that it can be ordered with a full size spare unlike the Passat Alltrack ( which I have also looked at ).

According to VW the Alltrack can't take a full size spare at all,wheel well not big enough evidently.

You can tow with the space saver but it must go on the front and is only to be used to get ones self to a tyre repairer,very handy on a Bank Holiday Sunday afternoon miles from anywhere.

This simple fact may be the deal breaker which makes me go for the Vauxhall.

Ian

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Glad to see that the 13-pin electrics are fully wired after some of the wiring horror stories one reads about.

One thing I particularly liked in the Country Tourer spec. is that it can be ordered with a full size spare unlike the Passat Alltrack ( which I have also looked at ).

According to VW the Alltrack can't take a full size spare at all,wheel well not big enough evidently.

You can tow with the space saver but it must go on the front and is only to be used to get ones self to a tyre repairer,very handy on a Bank Holiday Sunday afternoon miles from anywhere.

This simple fact may be the deal breaker which makes me go for the Vauxhall.

Ian

When I ordered mine the full size steel spare wheel in lieu of the repair kit was £100 and fits in the well in the boot no problems.

When I ordered mine the full size steel spare wheel in lieu of the repair kit was £100 and fits in the well in the boot no problems.

Dave,

I think we are at cross purposes,it is the Alltrack that won't take the full size spare,I see from your sig you have the Vauxhall.

Ian

Dave,

I think we are at cross purposes,it is the Alltrack that won't take the full size spare,I see from your sig you have the Vauxhall.

Ian

Possibly I was just commenting on the cost of the steel spare wheel for the insignia at ordering, the salesman suggested changing at ordering time as to buy afterwards it took ages to come and cost more