Roads In Spain

Hi we are heading south to Spain at the end of Feb, from Bordeaux to Murcia what is the road like

from the French border to Pamplona or is it best to go further into Spain the Across to Zaragoza

With a caravan Bordeaux to Bayonne to Pamplona to Zaragosa, mostly toll motorway but not too expensive in Spain then the A23 out of Zaragosa to near Alicante and A7 to Murcia.

Without a caravan much quicker and no tolls across country from Bordeaux through the Somport tunnel and then Jaca, Huesca to Zaragosa.

Watch out for possible snow and ice in February!

Mike

2011 Hobby 460 ufe towed with Mitsubishi Outlander GX4i or Mitsubishi Montero Sport

With a caravan Bordeaux to Bayonne to Pamplona to Zaragosa, mostly toll motorway but not too expensive in Spain then the A23 out of Zaragosa to near Alicante and A7 to Murcia.

Without a caravan much quicker and no tolls across country from Bordeaux through the Somport tunnel and then Jaca, Huesca to Zaragosa.

Watch out for possible snow and ice in February!

Mike

If as in Feb there is any chance of snow I would only cross the Pyrenees at far East or West ends.

I used to live within sight of those mountains & crossing in the middle is beautiful in the Summer but some of the routes are challenging even solo.

The snow persists longest on the North side. Also avoid crossing in the middle if it's thundery weather. The flashes are wonderful if observed from 50 miles but I would not like to be under them !

David

Swizz

We use the toll free Somport Tunnel route every winter with the caravan in tow and have never had any problems traversing the route even in winter .

Were due to leave for Spain on Saturday and will be through the Tunnel on Wednesday

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

To the op I note you are heading for Murcia on the off chance you are heading for La Manga if you have not booked please contact them before arrival the car park is full of units waiting for people to leave and other are being turned away I have never seen it so busy as this.

phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

We use the toll free Somport Tunnel route every winter with the caravan in tow and have never had any problems traversing the route even in winter .

Were due to leave for Spain on Saturday and will be through the Tunnel on Wednesday

Hi thanks for that might give it a try

We did that trip last week from Bordeaux to Zaragoza, we have done it always but fed up being ripped off by the French on the tolls,

Another caravan set of from the same site an hour before me and was going to Bayonne and aPamplona all toll roads, we decided to go through Pau much more direct routs, no tolls, we both got to Zaragoza at the same time.

The route I took was a D road at times it was a good road but lots of villages and the dreaded roundabout of which there are many. At the spanish border the road changes into a beautiful duel carriageway all the way into Zaragoza.

But we did hit bad weather, snow, fog, hail, and ice and at times minus 4 deg but nothing we could not handle at a steady pace, so what can I say we have in the past had snow in San Sebastian, our route was a lot less miles and a lot cheaper as we had no toll whatsoever and the only toll we had since leaving the UK was from Valencia.

when I have to do it again I shall take the same route

We did that trip last week from Bordeaux to Zaragoza, we have done it always but fed up being ripped off by the French on the tolls,

Another caravan set of from the same site an hour before me and was going to Bayonne and aPamplona all toll roads, we decided to go through Pau much more direct routs, no tolls, we both got to Zaragoza at the same time.

The route I took was a D road at times it was a good road but lots of villages and the dreaded roundabout of which there are many. At the spanish border the road changes into a beautiful duel carriageway all the way into Zaragoza.

But we did hit bad weather, snow, fog, hail, and ice and at times minus 4 deg but nothing we could not handle at a steady pace, so what can I say we have in the past had snow in San Sebastian, our route was a lot less miles and a lot cheaper as we had no toll whatsoever and the only toll we had since leaving the UK was from Valencia.

when I have to do it again I shall take the same route

Hi I am thinking of doing this in about 3 weeks time what sort of time did it take you from Bordeaux to Zaragoza and where did you stay near bordeaux any help on routes and time would be appreciated

Thanks

The camp site I used is open all year, there are not many that open at that time of the year, it is called camping Beau Soleil and it is on the ring road round Bordeaux I think junction 17 the D1010 it is on the internet with directions, a good stop over.

I left about 8-30 - 9 and reached Zaragoza mid afternoon after getting lost a bit in the town I now have the co-ordinates, we stopped for lunch of course and cheap fuel in the supermarkets.