Problems With Electric On 2011 Hobby Help!

Chez101

Hi

In desperate need for some advice.

Recently bought a 2011 hobby 575 VIP which has a electric control panel

We plugged in to our generator and the lights flick off so we changed the fuse and everything was ok.

We are now away for the weekend and have been using the caravan which has been fine but the lights have just flicked off again. We have changed and tested the fuses and they are all fine. Also the fridge flush and water has stoped working to but the sockets are all working fine.

Could anyone help

Thanks

What make and model is the generator ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Do you have 240V MCB's?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks for the replys

What does 240v mcbs mean? Sorry I am very new to all of this. All I no is that it has no leisure battery on it.

The generator is a communal one I have no idea of the make or model

We still have power though the sockets

Thanks

In most caravans the 240 V supply is fed into a miniature circuit breaker ( MCB) board. Like you have in a house instead of fuses.

It sounds like one part of this board has 'tripped'.

Graham

Hobby caravans only have mains power going to sockets and the main power supply unit which then provides the 12v for all the other items.

It sounds like the generator has burnt out the transformer/Rectifier in the PSU so no 12v power supply to any of the12v items.

A new PSU costs around £300 or more, and is a special unit made by Dometic so take note, NEVER use a generator !!!!!

You may be lucky and Paul at Apuljack Engineering may be able to repair your present unit at less cost of a new one.

However, if you do decide to send away your unit, make absolutely certain that you label every wire and its connection point on the unit as if you get it wrong, it will mean blowing it up again.

Edited by Brecon

You can't overcome it, except by hooking up to a regulated normal 230v mains supply.

Or,,spend a lot of money on a Generator with inverter technology, even then, it is still dangerous as far as the electrics are concerned.

You can, of course, heat the van and water with gas. Fridge can be on gas and you can cook with it providing you have a leisure battery fitted.

But no TV nor microwave so it may be possible for you to work/live without a gen.

Graham

In response to wispman above, generally on Hobby vans they only have mains powered water heaters unless a previous owner has modified the system and fitted a gas and electric heater.

Tks Brecon - learnt something new today.

Graham

Hobby caravans only have mains power going to sockets and the main power supply unit which then provides the 12v for all the other items.

It sounds like the generator has burnt out the transformer/Rectifier in the PSU so no 12v power supply to any of the12v items.

A new PSU costs around £300 or more, and is a special unit made by Dometic so take note, NEVER use a generator !!!!!

You may be lucky and Paul at Apuljack Engineering may be able to repair your present unit at less cost of a new one.

I can recommend Paul at Apuljack Engineering.

He repaired my sons consumer / charger unit at a reasonable price

Edited by samnjan

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

If you use a generator it has got to be a one which is designed with a good sine wave which will not damage electronics . A generator that is just used to power tools will damage electronic components.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

But the OP mentioned that it's a communal generator so I doubt a new generator is going to be an appealing option. Making the assumption that the genset output is a modified sine wave, can this be filtered somehow to provide a 'better' sine wave, maybe a low pass filter? That would also take the edge off spikes too.

If you have no DC services (e. g. lighting, water pump etc) then:

• Check the input (mains) and output (DC) cables from the power supply / charger unit
  • Check and double check DC fuses, including any in-line fuses that might exist in the DC output line from the power supply
  • If fitted, check that the power selector is switched to 'Caravan' (as opposed to Car or Neutral)
  • Ensure car towing electrics are not connected
  • Ensure any battery master switch is on (this is sometimes an electronic switch powering a relay, older 'vans will have a chunky electrical switch)

As a workaround, you could fit a leisure battery, this will give you your DC services back but assuming the power supply / charger is unserviceable, it wont charge, therefore would not last long. If you have AC services, you could buy a cheap lead acid battery charger and charge it directly from the van sockets.

Your best plan is to:

• Get your charger fixed / replaced
  • Fit a leisure battery

There are many types of generator and on a construction site often the generator is a bit on the large size I have used 250kVA three phase machines before now to supply a site and to be frank there is no difference with this supply as being connected to national grid with the exception of clocks may not keep good time.

12 volt power supplies with no battery is a problem but this one http://www. maplin. co. uk/p/moonraker-375w-switched-mode-dc-variable-voltage-compact-bench-power-supply-n87jn from Maplin is designed to go 0 to 30 amp unlike many which have a min setting so can't be used for light loads. I have selected this one as Maplin are all round the UK and it is not a battery charger although it could be used as one.

Hi guys,

It turns out that it was a problem with the 12v circuit board! I had the circuit board repaired and upgraded with Paul and apuljack engineering! (Thanks for the recommendation) he is a great guy and extremely helpful. I am going to Ireland on Sunday and needed it to be fixed ASAP and he repaired it and I had it back to me within 24 hours! I would highly recommended paul (apuljacks engineering) if you have any problems with circuit boards or anything electronic he is the guy to use! It would of cost me hundreds to get a new circuit board and he repaired and upgraded the one that I had at a very very reasonable price! Everything is back working in our caravan. Thanks for all your help and comments!