My Spanking New Solar Project

tictag

It's very unnerving taking a jigsaw to your caravan, I can tell you! The new battery box is in and fitted and my two batteries wired in. With the DC distribution now inside, I hope never to have to move them again (assuming I take good care of them, of course!).

The sun is out today, blue skies in Hope Valley so with rain forecast from tomorrow, I think it's time to fit the PV panels!

Is it not possible to use a heat conductive paste under the panels to help distribute the heat?

I can see issues with retaining it and when the roof pools; viewed overal IMO pointless.

These flexible panels are used on GRP boats etc where the loss of performance because they cant dissipate the heat like conventional panels is accepted, as a trade off for their flexibility etc.

Realistically the loss of performance due to heat will only be in hot ambient temperatures, where its is doubtful it matters to us much. We would size panels for reasonable winter/shoulder seaons use, so in summer where loss of performance might occur there will be oddles of yield anyway.

One thing concerns me with all you scientific types turning the caravan roof into power stations.

Will there be enough sun left for the likes of us with our tiddly little 60w folder.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

LOL ;) Enough energy from the sun hits this planet every day to supply the entire world for a year! They'll be some left, I'm sure ;)

Efficiency loss is about 10% per 10 degrees (over 20 degrees); with 600W PV panels, I'm not fussed about that in Summer - even at 35 degrees I'll still be getting around 340AH per day solar yield (in ideal conditions, I might add)!

The view across Hope Valley right now is like something from a Dickens novel, very charming though I fear I may very well be snowed in! A good inch has fallen in the last half hour. Managed to get one panel installed yesterday before the heavens opened. Only five more to go! I think a lesson learned is to buy some sort of electric sealant pusher-outer'er because after just one panel with a manual 'trigger' type my hands were aching.

Oh, and another lesson learned - after leaving your 'van door open whilst outside then plugging in a 1. 2KW electric oil radiator to warm the 'van up more quickly, don't then fall asleep. Fifty five minutes later = 50% discharged batteries! :rolleyes:

The view across Hope Valley right now is like something from a Dickens novel, very charming though I fear I may very well be snowed in! A good inch has fallen in the last half hour. Managed to get one panel installed yesterday before the heavens opened. Only five more to go! I think a lesson learned is to buy some sort of electric sealant pusher-outer'er because after just one panel with a manual 'trigger' type my hands were aching.

Oh, and another lesson learned - after leaving your 'van door open whilst outside then plugging in a 1. 2KW electric oil radiator to warm the 'van up more quickly, don't then fall asleep. Fifty five minutes later = 50% discharged batteries! :rolleyes:

Its all looking very good, can not wait to see what sort of power you get when panels are all installed, hope the weather is better for you up there soon so you can get it all finished.

Just a thought but rather than using sikaflex or equivalent, have you thought about the automotive grade of double sided tapes ?, surely if they are good enough to hold the likes of spoilers etc on a car then it would hold a relatively flat lightweight solar panel ? and a lot easier on your hand applying it :)

You may well be right but I've bought the sealant now! :rolleyes: Double sided tape on the underneath with a bead of sealant round the edge may well be an easier installation approach. I actually think my sealant gun is a bit naff, actually. It was a cheapy I bought in B&Q for about 30p. It doesn't 'push' very much despite gripping the trigger for dear life.

Yep, I'm looking forward to the finish line so that I can basque in the sun's electrical after-glow! ;)

If you could 'see' what your battery goes through firstly being charged then using an inverter to make microwave porridge, espresso coffee, powering your laptop & bluetooth speaker all day and finally doing your clothes washing, it would look something like this:

post-63455-0-23627700-1392148606_thumb.jpg

post-63455-0-44011000-1392148782_thumb.jpg

Edited by tictag

The weather here has been epic (can't complain given what's happening down south, though :() but I caught a break today and I've managed to install three out of the six PV panels. I've temporarily wired them up so should get some interim solar yield results tomorrow morning.

Did you know that you can cut through a PV panel and it will still provide an output? News to me. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get one of the panels to fit above the lounge area window. I couldn't fit it anywhere else so I took a gamble and cut and inch off the edge RIGHT THROUGH THE PV CELLS. I was expecting it would short out and render the panel U/S but, surprisingly, output was down a little but it remained fully functional. I was gobsmacked!

Also, finally got my BBQ point fitted today so I'm now running my genset off the 'van's LPG supply. It is also a little quieter which is a nice bonus. I bought one of those corkscrew-like ground anchors and a Sterling steel rope and padlock - hopefully that should deter the opportunistic thief at least. Thief! Yeah, right! I saw another human the other day - I think he was as surprised to see me as I was to see him!

p. s. Doesn't look like I can use the TV antenna as an entry point. I'd have to wire into the antenna itself and leave enough cable to allow it to move up/down & vertically. Not a very elegant solution so I'm going to have to cut another hole in the skin. It'll be sealed good and proper, would have just preferred not to if at all possible.

Did you do the gas point yourself in the end? Thought the weather must have been grim as we hadn't heard anything for a couple of days, just spent all afternoon sorting my sky cables out and putting weatherproof grommet on the lnb whilst the sun was out- hopefully will stop the rain from getting into the cable and rusting the centre core out - cant believe it only lasted 5 months - mind you it is quite salty down ere me hansome!

Link to multi cable deck gland: http://www. solentmarine. co. uk/acatalog/index-marine-cable-glands. html

Edited by sleepyfolk

From the operational stats, it looks like the system is taking about three hours to recharge my 240AH battery bank from 50% to 100%. The inverter/charger is currently set at the default 75% max charging output and I think I may leave it there. The literature I've read says charging rates above C/5 could end up damaging the battery so 240AH / 5 = 48A and 75% of 70A max charge current is 52A - close enough.

I hoping that I'll be using the genset a lot less once the PV panels are up and running.

Did you do the gas point yourself in the end?

Nah, I'm not necessarily afraid of doing the work I just give mains 'leccy and gas the respect they deserve and got a Gas Safe engineer out. Investing in the local community, don't you know! He's fitted fixed copper pipe below the regulator to the BBQ point then he's fitted quick release connectors on the genset, on a three metre pipe and on a one metre pipe fitted with a small bottle-mount regulator. This allows me to either connect the genset directly to the BBQ point or fit a cylinder directly to the genset and position them both remotely. Best of both worlds, I think.

Having the two batteries in the front end, how has that affected your nose weight? Can you still put otehr stuff in the front end like aquarolls, wastemaster etc? Looking forward to seeing pictures when your task is completed.

My battery bay (my new double battery bay! ;)) is actually about in the middle of the 'van just forward of the axle so minimum impact on nose weight. Overall the extra battery adds 24KG and, whilst I haven't worked it all yet, my gut feeling is that with my MTPLM upgrade I should still be inside my payload (he says with fingers crossed!! ;))

Yes, I've been taking snaps as I've been installing and with only one exception, most of my lessons learned have been positive.

Just wish this rain would let up and I can get the last panels installed!

I didn't mention it because, well frankly, it's hardly worth writing home about! Accepted, that I'm currently in the middle of a storm and the panels are covered in sleet!

The output stats are quite comprehensive, I feel. Though I have nothing to compare them too!

p. s. This is the first time I'm seeing the solar controller section on the control panel.

post-63455-0-03624600-1392385694_thumb.jpg

post-63455-0-46976600-1392385697_thumb.jpg

Looks like we might get a bit of sunshine sat or Sunday so you can finish off, currently have sw gales blowing across my starboard quarter which is inducing a coffee wiggling sway!

The sun poked its head through the clouds earlier and output shot up to 78W. OK, only for about 3 seconds but it was a very exciting 3 seconds, I can tell you! :D

Well, sunny today in Hope Valley. I hope that I can finish off installing the panels (d'ya see what I did there? ;)). The next three are directly facing the sun so should be a reasonable representation of winter yield.

Getting around 33W this morning, that's supplying 2. 6A into the battery. OK, the three panels I've got installed now are oblique to the sun (one door side, two roof mounted) but that current is only just covering the drain from the control panel, router, alarm and my laptop sending this; the battery isn't actually charging.

Baring the clean-up, should be done today :)