Tow Car And Van Combination

ColinMiller

Hi everyone, we are looking into buying our first caravan, at the same time we will buy a new car. So we are looking for a good match and your advice would be greatly appreciated. Our ideal van would be a lightweight 4 person van with and island bed (we really like the look of the Adria's). Our main concern is what car we should get, we do not want a four wheel drive, but something like a Golf Estate, Seat Altea XL, or Octavia estate, but would consider anything else. TheY get good reviews as tow cars, but their kerbweights are limited as far as I can see. The Altea XL looks to be the best bet so far as has the highest maximum kerbweight limit. Any suggestions re van and car would be very welcome indeed.

I'm on my second VW Touran (the last one did over 140,000miles) and even with the 1. 6TDi engine it tows up to the 1500kg towing limit with no problems. 55-60mpg solo and 35 mpg when towing + advantage of 7 seats and VW reliability.

Why not consider the Octavia Estate 2. 0Tdi 4x4 (Haldex traction). I tow a Sprite Alpine 4 fixed bed, MTPLM 1,230kg, the Octavia has a mass in service of 1,495kg and tow limit of 1,600kg, so it is a very good match. The system puts 90% power to the front wheels and 10% to the rear and when needed up to 100% to the rear, very good on muddy fields. I get 33-35mpg towing and up to 61mpg solo. There is also a good load and carry capacity, a slightly raised suspension and under body protection.

Torque 320nm / 1,750 - 2,500rpm

Edited by Czech connection

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.