Am I A Doubting Thomas?

ericfield

Ive just had my caravan serviced by the mobile engineer of a local dealership.

Pleasant enough chap. Told me he had found a couple of things that he had corrected (loose connection on battery, handbrake needed tightening) and no damp.

So I felt all contented until. ...

He only took and hour and a half.

When I examined the wheels . ..all the felt pen marks I had previously drawn on the bolt heads ( to help me see if one came loose) were all still pointing to the centre. Both wheels.

I phoned the dealership to ask him if he actually removed the wheels and did the necessary checks. He said he did . ...and 'had the old oneshot nuts in the van'.

Now I may be a doubter. ...but those nuts could have been from another job. There doesnt seem to be any dirt around the wheels. ..would the hubs have come off without any dirt/brake dust? (last caravan there was a lot of black dust fell out). And then theres these bolts. ...what is the probability of getting all the bolts back in their holes and tightened so the lines are all radiating from the hub?

Not sure what to do.

Do I get another engineer to remove the wheels and check? Would he be able to tell if the hubs HAD been properly serviced?

Ive got the word of the engineer and the reassurance? from the dealer that he is a 'good, honest worker'. But????????

Edited by ericfield

If he did a "service" in 1. 5 Hours, he has NOT done a thorough service.

It takes a minimum of 4 hours working non stop to carry out a NCC Approved Service, and it DOES need the hubs removing, and the old hub nuts should be left in the van, or handed to the owner, as should any item replaced.

It is impossible to get all the wheel nuts back to their position prior to removing them, so your marks should not have been as you had them, they would be all over the place.

If the place you had the service from is a NCC Approved Workshop, COMPLAIN to the AWS.

Edited by Brecon

As has been said 1. 5 Hrs is not long enough for a full service. I think you need to make a formal complaint.

My guy takes about 4 Hrs. Here is a list of what he dose.

-

Brakes: remove wheel/hub, clean brakes and adjust, reassemble

Wheels/tyres: check for age, damage, pressure and tread depth

Bearings and hubs: clean and reassemble, or replace one shot nuts

Tow hitch: clean and lubricate, or clean if dry hitch, check operation of damper

Road lights
12N/12S plugs and cables

Living area: check windows and catches, roof lights, blinds and fly screens

Gas test: leak test, regulator test, flame failure test, and a test for flue spillage and carbon monoxide leakage

Hot and cold water systems: check for operation and leaks

Heating systems: check operation on mains and gas, and blown air etc

12 volt and mains systems: operation of battery charger, hob ignition, fridge, water heater, space heater.

Bodywork and fittings: for fitting and security

Damp inspection and test: around 50-80 readings and a documented report

Fully documented report: running to 4 pages recording all of above
As you can see this is a comprehensive list. Included in the price is all the normal workshop sundries, one shot nuts (if required), low pressure gas hose (if required) grease etc.
The full service takes around 4-5 hours and does not include the removal of appliances such as the fridge. But I do carry out a full flue gas analysis of all flued gas appliances which give a clear indication as to how the appliance is performing and its state of health. This item is over and above that set out in the standard NCC service.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

My mobile guy did it in under two hours. I watched him, he was very fast and efficient but he did it all. The reason I have a mobie is so I can watch: I'm a cynic too. He did leave the one shot nuts, always does.

If you're really worried get an independent AWS mobile guy to do JUST the wheels. If the first has not done it they will have to give you your money back. If he did do it, well, that's the price of peace of mind. Next time you'll be sure to watch.

Edited by henrypartridge

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

What a disapointment this has turned out to be. Can only agree with other replys, he did not spend long enogh on the job to do it correctly. I you can try to adjust one of the brakes it should not need more than 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on the adjusing screw before locking-up solid, any more (say 1 turn or more) gives the game away, or get one of the drums off & it will be only too obvious that the brakes have not been serviced if any brake dust is in evidence. You could also check the handbrake movement is not excessive (assuming he has not used this to take-up brake adjustment).

The bolt positions are not 100% conclusive as it is not impossible for them to have been placed back in their original places & torqued to the same point. A bit unbelievable, but not impossible.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

Just a quick question, did you not see him jack the van up to remove the wheels ? is there any indication on the van or floor that a jack has even been used?

It sounds a little suspect to me.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Just a quick question, did you not see him jack the van up to remove the wheels ? is there any indication on the van or floor that a jack has even been used?

It sounds a little suspect to me.

To be honest, I havent got underneath to look.

I was considering getting an independent mobile engineer to remove the wheel and inspect it.

This is such a pain! We pay people to do a job . ....and then have to check they did it.

In fairness he didnt stop (delcined a cuppa) and frankly. ..if he skipped some of the nonsensical checks (that we could tell him worked ok!) I wouldnt mind. But the wheels and brakes are a different matter.

Ok. ..don't feel comfortable. ...I've asked another approved mobile service engineer if he will (at least) double check the safety aspects were done.

I've learnt one thing. ... NEVER take the 3yr discounted service option when buying a new caravan from a dealer you don't know. It locks you into potentially inferior service. False economy.

Don't forget to complain in writing about your concern, if they are an Approved Workshop & your not happy with their reply please make sure you continue your complaint through the Approved Workshop conciliation department. See link for info. ....

http://www. approvedworkshops. co. uk/conciliation/

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Don't forget to complain in writing about your concern, if they are an Approved Workshop & your not happy with their reply please make sure you continue your complaint through the Approved Workshop conciliation department. See link for info. ....

http://www. approvedworkshops. co. uk/conciliation/

The independent service engineer has agreed to come out next week and do a 'chassis service for my peace of mind, as it now transpires from further discussion with this engineer, the other guy may have 'tightened the handbrake' in the wrong manner and it sounds as though he never greased the steadies!!! What else?

Depending on what is found (we will take photos), this engineer has also suggested contacting AWS. ..as this is the second report he has heard of this dealer's mobile service 'shortchanging' a customer.

Thanks for your suggestions

Edited by ericfield

It is good to see that a complaint can be discussed, and hopefully resolved without resorting to naming and shaming. Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Yes if not sure about work that has been carried out always worthwhile checking. I had a problem over Christmas at Southport with damage to a front brake disc on my tow car. I had the discs and brake pads at a local garage there. When I got back home I took it to my garage here who checked and found all OK except no Copslip used to lubricate the sliding location pins. As the car is not used as much from December until April that could have caused problems with sticking pads. So £20 well spent

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I agree with caravan medic there is no way a full service can be done in that time .

Four hours is a minimum time to service a caravan and it usually takes a mobile guy a bit longer as we take time to talk to are customers and explain what we are doing or have done, we also have to work safely to ensure are own safety and mitigate any risk of posable damage to the customers pride and joy .

I have a mobile guy that works my area that does a full service in 45 mins and some of his customers like this but then most didn't and are now my customers .

Olympic caravan services.
Approved mobile workshop covering wrexham northwales shropshire and west cheshire.

mob 07827738671 land line 01978 710 943

www.olympiccaravanservices.com    enquiries@olympiccaravanservices.com

Why do brake drums need to be removed when the bearings are sealed for life, cannot be adjusted and require no maintenance? Brake lining wear can be checked through the inspection hole in the back plate provided for that purpose.

You can not see all of the brake linings throu one tiny hole so the hub has to come of and the linings cleaned and checked for even wear. also check for that the brake adjuster is operating correctly and lubricated .

Also check of the bearings for signs of wear this is safety critical as worn bearings can course wheel loss, brake failure and erratic towing characteristics .

After a good inspection and clean the hub is refitted and a new one shot fitted and torqued to 290 nm and then adjust the brakes .

If it was my caravan I would want the hubs off and checked every year and I do my own about three times a year because I can .

Olympic caravan services.
Approved mobile workshop covering wrexham northwales shropshire and west cheshire.

mob 07827738671 land line 01978 710 943

www.olympiccaravanservices.com    enquiries@olympiccaravanservices.com

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE.

Today I had an AWS independent mobile engineer do a chassis service. (only fair to make it worth his while . ..rather than coming out just to 'look'. )

His assessment. ...hubs never been taken off.

Apart from the obvious pointer of my bolt pen marks being perfectly aligned from previous year. ...inner cap shows no sign of removal. ...one shot nuts have Alko orange paint on nuts ( too precise to have been manually repainted)...emptied almost spoonful of brake dust out . ...whole assembly covered in dust needed to be washed down. Clearly these brakes were never cleaned and checked.

(nbThis engineer failed to get the wheel bolts back in, with my marks aligned!!!)

Additionally, non of the steadies had any fresh grease on them.

No wonder he took only 1. 5 hours!

I have written to the MD of the dealership but have been advised this dealer has a name for poor service, cutting corners and not caring about customer complaints. They have only recently been taken to court over selling a 3year old display/ stock model as new.

I will not name the company on this forum. But if any Norfolk members need more information about my experience, send me a PM.

I would raise complaint with the NCC if the dealership is listed, as well as complaint with the manufacturer of your van.

It is terrible.

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

It really is wrong that incidents like this seem to occur in life more and more frequently, if you pay good money for a job to be done you expect it to be done correctly. :angry:

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)